Therapists

Lacquer

(or clinical psychologists or psychiatrists or whatever)

If you go to one, have you told him or her about your tulpa? How did he or she react?

I know that leddit did a thing like this here, but the more the merrier when it comes to gathering data.

The only reason I haven't been diagnosed with something is because I don't have a therapist. Not to mention the fact that I don't have a fully formed tulpa, yet I could imagine telling a therapist or psychologist about this phenomenon would end with the most hilarious awkward silence ever.

"Oh yeah, uh, I've a [insert species name which is most likely a pony] living in my head. Just thought you should know."

"Erm... Go on?"

"I went on this site once which told me I could make a sentient life form in my head if I concentrated hard enough. I made it a [likewise]."

"Riiiiight..." *Writes frantically on clipboard* "what can you tell me about this... Thing?"

"It's a horse."

And then it cuts to a scene where you're sitting in a padded cell.

"DUDE! That's wrong! You don't do that! That's like giving a kid a knife and telling him that it's a neck massager!"

Shameless self promotion!

Do you really think "hay doc ive got a pony in muh head" is the best way to introduce this? This is not some casual thing, you need to think through. Remember, first impressions are nearly everything.

I don't see a therapist, but if I did know one I would probably like to know his/her thoughts on the subject. That subreddit would've been more useful if the posters actually posted their therapists' thoughts in that thread. Not just "My therapist doesn't think I'm crazy".

This made me laugh harder than it should have, it may just deserve a spot in my sig.

My Tulpa

As long as something doesn't interfere with your ability to function as a normal human being, (properly trained) therapists tend not to give it a second thought. And most people here don't have disorders because of their tulpae, if anything having a tulpa helps them compensate for another disorder.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

I don't think he could quite be considered a therapist (probably a counselor), but nevertheless I told him about my tulpa.

He generally doesn't talk about it, but he actually brought it up once again because he's curious. The only question I ever got pertaining to mental illnesses was about the possibility that an imposed tulpa could cause the host to believe that the tulpa is somehow physically real.

I got really lucky with him, though. He's the most laid-back psychology major I've ever met.

Do you really think "hay doc ive got a pony in muh head" is the best way to introduce this?

No I do not. Nor do I actually HAVE a pony in my head... Nor will I.

"DUDE! That's wrong! You don't do that! That's like giving a kid a knife and telling him that it's a neck massager!"

Shameless self promotion!

I may or may not decide to tell my counselor about my tulpae. If I do, I'll definitely make sure to explain the concept first ("Hey, I read about this thing online that I think could help me...") before going ahead and saying that I have tulpae already.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)