1 week in, lots of forcing, 0 progress

Kvothe

Hello, I've been interested in tulpas for some time now, deciding to make one exactly a week ago. I'll spare all the boring details and get to it: I absolutely cannot visualize at all.

During the day I imagine her with me all the time as much as I pretty much can manage, and have sat down for at least a minimum of 2 hours each day attempting to visualize.

I've done lots of reading on visualizing, and I feel have a very good grasp on the concept.

At the start of almost every session I will meditate at a minimum of 30 minutes, sometimes longer.

But when I sit/lay down to visualize her, I draw an absolute blank.

Not even a single outline or blurry mess of anything will appear, just pure visual snow.

The thing is though, I read in free time and do some daydreaming at work and I sort of get very weak visuals that go along with them. I've tried the "use as many senses and decribe what you're trying to visualize" to no avail.

I really want to start getting at this, it's a really neat thing so far

Maybe visualisation isn't the easiest step to begin with...

Not being able to visualise after one week of forcing is pretty common, I'd say. I find it to be one of the most difficult stages.

Personally, I didn't attempt to visualise my tulpa until I had clear responses from him and the feeling that he truly was here.

That way, it felt like there was two of us working on it, making things easier.

That's just my personal experience, but I still think that working on personality or simply narrating is the most common and most natural first step.

Moreover, it guarantees you went end up with an empty shell that you can flawlessly visualise.

Guest Anonymous

Don't visualize then...try your mind on just voice or if you can,close your eyes and try to see that voice coming from a glowing light or smoke or a similar form in order to practice visualisation.

Remember,feeling your tulpas presence is more imoortant than seeing it...

>Week of forcing

>Claims to have trained as hard to discredit criticism over newcomers distressed on not being able to make breakthroughs in such a short period of time

>30 minutes minimum

>Blank when visualizing tulpa

>30 minutes of blankness

Let’s cut through the symbolism and self-fulfilling prophecy implications with sentience. It’s good that you’re investing time into forcing, and having a mentality of going longer if need be. But if what you’re saying is right, it seems you can do things decently up until you try to visualize your tulpa.

I made a guide that’s derived from the theory of image streaming, and if you can do the exercises over the span of a few months, maybe you could make some breakthroughs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1guub6JF0OGVheUPzddtMyZKHqnrcnuWLYufwGhc3Fmc/edit?pli=1

When I had a lot of free time, I used to devote at least 1 hour a day, or every other day occasionally image streaming. Then I got even better at visualizing them, and it seemed to have bled into other improvements as well. What seems to be one obstacle for you is just getting used that things will seem blurry at first, but you just have to override it with hard work, and absolving yourself (temporarily) of being self-critical of your “progress.”

After I image streamed for a few months, it became more addicting, and I tried to go for at least 90 minutes to 2 hours, up to 3 hours and a bit more as well. It will get easier, but you just have to persevere, and keep forcing. One week of forcing, and implying as if you did “lots” as justification to worry why you made 0 progress is just an excuse.

Try image streaming for a few months, or any other visualization method, for 1 hour a day, with no criticism over your progress, and come back to us. Augmenting visual prowess does not come in one week, my friend. It’s achieved through a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and overcoming the tendency to just not do things at all. I can’t even count the number of hours I did with visualization over these few years, but I can tell you it’s a lot easier on the mind, and your ego if you spread developing that competence over a few months, rather than one week.

It's a lot of trial-and-error, and being aware (but not overly self-critical of yourself) to see if you made "progress," or not. That ability to distinguish progress from just mere false hopes doesn't come in one week, be reasonable here.

You can PM me if you have any questions on image streaming, and setting up a schedule for yourself. People just need a schedule, a reason, and seeing some breakthroughs to gradually get themselves out of doubting themselves.

Thanks, for the good post. when I had said 0 progress in the week it was disconcerting because I couldn't bring up anything. I'll give your guide a read and start my journey!

Guest Anonymous

First of all, you shouldn't expect progress within a week. Second, thinking you can't visualize only makes it worse. Take it from someone with first hand experience. Third, don't expect too much at first. It gets better over time. The more you expect, the worse you'll do, especially if you're a beginner.

I recommend learning how to visualize before starting work on the tulpa. Having your host constantly complain about not seeing you is a pain, as is imposition practice with underdeveloped imaginative skills.

Also, edited your post. Contained a double line.