What have we learned?

Argentum

I was curious about this. What do we know as a concrete, irrefutable FACT about tulpas? Yes we all know what they can do and how to make them and so on, but what concrete information do we have about how they work? I hear occasionally about people with tuppers getting their brains scanned and all that. Where are these scans?

Also, if there is any concrete information, how are we gathering and organising this information? There ought to be a section on the site that contains this previously mentioned concrete fact.

NO I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE GUIDES JESUS CHRIST.

NO I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE INTRODUCTION ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE SITE GOOD GOD.

I am talking about actually updating one of the wikis, and making one or both of them more prominently displayed on the site, instead of being buried under a couple of links in a small navigation thing on the site no one visits. Perhaps even merge them?

The wikis I talk about are

http://tulpa.wikia.com/

http://wiki.tulpa.info/Official/Glossary

Well, as Linkzelda will no doubt point out (and much more eloquently than myself), we don't actually know anything about tulpas, because our sample size is so small. There are what? maybe two or three dozen people with imposed tulpas? Even if we got every last one of them to reply to a poll (and that won't happen, because half of them have left the community, or were never a part of it) that's still a miniscule sample, and pretty much anything we might learn from them would be indistinguishable from coincidence.

To put it simply, all we know about tulpas is what we've learned from actual scientists who have done research on hearing voices, hallucination, and imaginary friends -- and those are fields that merely overlap the tulpa phenomena, not other words for the same thing.

This is more of a discussion thread than a research one, so I've moved it to General Discussion.

As for your question: nothing. There is not one thing we know with any degree of certainty about tulpas; this includes whether they exist, and in what way.

If people are actually getting brain scans and such, then they are either not finding anything, or they're not posting anything about it, because I'm pretty sure that would be one of the things I'd have heard about. And keep in mind that one person claiming to have gotten a brain scan won't do anything for "proof" in this matter. Even if they actually did get one, it's not nearly enough evidence to act like we've learned anything from it.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

And keep in mind that one person claiming to have gotten a brain scan won't do anything for "proof" in this matter. Even if they actually did get one, it's not nearly enough evidence to act like we've learned anything from it.

You are right, it isn't. I wasn't specific enough with my paragraph. Brain scans are absolutely worthless unless one can show a before/after tuppers, and prove that it changes the brain in some visible way. I meant it more of an example than anything.

Here's the thing. Why do we have a consensus? Why are guides being able to be written at all? If we are so uncertain as to what a tulpa is why can we explain how to work with them in any sense of the word? Yes we know 'something' is happening. Why can't we define it? Is it really that intangible? Do we really need a scientist to give a name to the commonality of our experiences on this tulpa phenomenon?

I consider them autonomous entities that exist wholly in our mind given enough agency over time to act independent of our own wills.

“Life was a wheel, its only job was to turn, and it always came back to where it started.” - Stephen King

“No great thing is created suddenly.” -Stephen King

Well, experience and beliefs are so different (even in this small community) that I must imagine it hard to label anything as fact!

[align=center]“From my rotting body,

flowers shall grow

and I am in them

and that is eternity.”[/align]

Here's the thing. Why do we have a consensus? Why are guides being able to be written at all? If we are so uncertain as to what a tulpa is why can we explain how to work with them in any sense of the word? Yes we know 'something' is happening. Why can't we define it? Is it really that intangible? Do we really need a scientist to give a name to the commonality of our experiences on this tulpa phenomenon?

I consider them autonomous entities that exist wholly in our mind given enough agency over time to act independent of our own wills.

It is very easy to define them, and say what they are, but what I mean by what they are is, what exactly are they made of? What is the biological purpose, if any, of tulpas? How do they work in the mind? Are they really spirits of the dead? Are we all just schizophrenic?

Well, experience and beliefs are so different (even in this small community) that I must imagine it hard to label anything as fact!

Indeed. Thats why its so hard to find out more. Its a weird conundrum.

No, we don't know any real facts. We might see trends, we might see similarities. There are enough people in the scientific and psychological communities that don't believe in DID, let alone other forms of plurality.

As far as the schizophrenic comment... Schizophrenia is a very different disorder with a very different set of symptoms. More than anything tulpas resemble DID or DDNOS than schizophrenia.

I think, instead of facts, I'd like to see a cute little list of things different people belief tulpa are. Like how some people would say they are related to having a split personality in one's head (though not related at all to DID), and how a few others would say they are linked to something like, I don't know, spirits. It would be neat to see those different views categorized. Because everyone here pretty much agrees there are no solid facts.

[align=center]“From my rotting body,

flowers shall grow

and I am in them

and that is eternity.”[/align]

O.k. One thing that I have learned (and confirmed with every switched tulpa I have asked) is that when you're switched your peripheral vision is wider. Some only a little, and some (like me) as much as 30% wider vision (then when possessing).

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.