I need your comments on the board layout.

Pleeb

A discussion on the layout of the boards have came up recently. Some members are calling for, instead of separate boards, have a catchall, with separate topics. For instance, rather than having a "research" section, have a "research" topic; same for Introductions, etc.

I'll admit, my bias is showing, since growing up, I spent my time on the old fashion message boards like this, so naturally I'm more used to normal forums rather than "generals" and imageboards, and I find things like that hard to manage if it gets big, due to the lack of organization.

For instance, I was (and sort of still am) an admin on a forum with over 40,000 users, and if I had to find a specific introduction in the general intro thread (with over 5,000 replies), it would be a nightmare. To contrast, if I was a user looking for a certain question, instead of combing through a "questions general" topic, I could scroll down the board's index of threads until I see the topic that I wanted. It's easier to find certain subjects with the search engine, as well.

When I started this forum, I was basing it off of the Lucid Dreaming community Dream Views. While I actually think they have too many boards and sub-boards (it's confusing for me, at least), the community functions and flourishes.

However, I actually agree that we could do with less boards, so here's my idea for the new layout:

Tulpa.Info Forums

--Forum Announcements (official-technical announcements will be posted here)

--Forum Questions & Comments (for posting account/forum related problems)

Tulpae

--Newcomers - For Introductions, etc. "Read this first" sticky posts go here, since we know the new members will flock here first, we can get them reading what we want them to read.

--General Discussion - the "tulpa general" board.

--Research - refer to below for why I want to keep it.

Off-topic

--Off-topic

The purpose of the research board will be for conducting or recruiting for realistic research. I want to have a strict and formalized style for that board, with each project split into their own thread; to give you an example, here's the research section of DreamViews: http://www.dreamviews.com/f32/

I think the subject of Tulpae have an even bigger potential for people looking to do tests than lucid dreams, especially if this whole thing takes off in the next few months.

Anyway, now you've heard my side of the arguments I'll let the poll run for a few days, let me know what you guys think and we can discuss it here.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact of the matter is though, is that this forum isn't going to have over 40k users. I'd be astounded if it hit 100 users. We don't need all these sub boards and stuff, and if we ever do they can be added.

I can see why you would prefer forums to an imageboard for this.

The main thing that appeals to me about imageboards is that everyone's more-or-less on equal ground in an anonymous setting.

There's no ass kissing or seniority, however for something like this it's good to keep in mind who (at least supposedly) knows what they're talking about and who's new.

As for the board divisions, like FAQ said, this isn't going to be a huge community.

We have no need for small divisions in a site that has an already small user base.

If the community grows, then you simply split forums afterwards.

Don't spread what you barely have thin.

However, lumping everything together into one or two areas is also a bad idea.

As with everything, a balance is important.

For that reason, I think the layout you're suggesting should be fine.

The forum just needs more... "advertisement." Link to it in the /mlp/ threads some more. I only found it due to Dane randomly mentioning tulpa.info in one of the first posts.

For the moment, then, I'll reformat the forum to the proposed layout. We'll see what happens in the meantime.

Spoiler

So why is there a "Newcommers" board when everyone posts in the same thread FAQ made anyway?

Should just make a sticky'd intro thread or something somewhere.

Maybe, just saying. If you see differently I get it.

This hot empty painting should be locked and towed.

So why is there a \"Newcommers\" board when everyone posts in the same thread FAQ made anyway?

Should just make a sticky'd intro thread or something somewhere.

Maybe, just saying. If you see differently I get it.

Some people are posting in FAQ's topic, others are just making a topic of their own; I still find having a topic of their own is more organized, but I have seen it successfully done both ways http://www.dreamviews.com/f20/]here[/url] and here are two examples of Introduction boards; here is an example of a single Introduction thread).

The primary reason I decided on having a "Newcomers" board is because people will end up flocking there first when they register; this is a nice way to catch them with those "Read this before posting" topics, to assure they've read the rules, guides, etc.

I also edited the "Welcome to the Tulpa.Info Forums" topic, letting users know they're allowed to create their own topic to introduce themselves. After all, it's not like there's limited space for topics on the forums.

Spoiler

I think individual threads are pure circle jerking. I don't think any of us really give a flying fuck who X person with X tulpa is, because to be honest I sure as hell don't. There's no reason to have people think they're somehow special. If they want to introduce themselves they can do it in a thread that also promoted discussion beyond "hi I'm 16 years old and I'm making a lyra tulpa" there's no reason for it in the first place, and having its own thread is even worse.

Yes, exactly. There just isn't all that much you can say in an intro topic. In fact an entire board to it just seems like a ploy to drum up extra activity, which is fine and all but it isn't the right way to do it. I mean if you really have that much to say you may as well make a topic in the tulpa board documenting it or something.

But, again, I don't feel to strongly about it, it's just a small suggestion because everywhere is dead today and I'm bored.

This hot empty painting should be locked and towed.

Me neither. I don't like idea of individual welcome threads. They anyway change to "me and my tulpa" threads. So I think it will be beater to make board for threads like this.