How to make a vocal tulpa by developing the skills and mindsets of the host.

reguile

Question

This is intended to be a full guide, for the "guides" section.

The purpose of this guide is to lay out a technique for making a tulpa which, rather than being based on a series of steps you must complete before you have formed a tulpa in your mind, considers the process of creating a tulpa as one more like developing a personal skillset. It seeks to bypass issues of parrotnoia entirely by this shift in how tulpa are viewed.

This guide assumes that tulpa are a thing built and constructed by the host, and that tulpa are dependent on the skills the host directly develops. The specifics of if tulpa are sentient, if tulpa are actually independent beings in the mind, and so on, are discussed in the post linked below, and will be avoided in this guide:

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-sentience-tulpa-by-expectations-a-theory

___

Some definitions for those incredibly new to tulpa:

Tulpa: For the sake of this guide, tulpa are the processes which create the experience of speaking to another person who exists entirely in your head.

Vocalization: The ability to speak to, or receive responses from, a tulpa.

Possession: A term for the experience of having a tulpa take control of a part of the body, or the entire body, while the host is still in control and aware of the surroundings.

Switching: A term for the state where a person experiences being unable to see or experience the outside world while the tulpa commands the body.

Narration: The process of speaking to your tulpa while not expecting a response.

Forcing: Every activity that involves interacting with your tulpa, with "active" forcing requiring you lay down and only communicate, and "passive" forcing being done while a person is involved with other tasks.

Host: The person reading this guide, who has no tulpa. Alternatively, any person who considers themselves the default, original, and generally dominant identity within the brain.

Form: The imagined body which is connected to the tulpa.

Wonderland: The imagined world which is connected to the tulpa, or visited while forcing.

Visualization: Seeing the tulpa, or imagining the tulpa, in reality.

___

These are the best steps, that I am aware of, to take in order to create a tulpa. Note that they are not necessarily in order.

• Develop a sense of there being another being in your head with you.
  • Develop the "personhood" of the tulpa.
  • Develop the habit of speaking to, or interacting with this person.
  • Create both the expectations, and the mindset where responses occur.
  • Develop responses until the tulpa feels sentient more often than not.

So what do these steps accomplish? What should you expect while following them? How do you best achieve these as addressed in other guides, not thought of by myself, are as such.goals?

#----Develop a sense of there being another being in your head----#

This logically has to be one of the two first steps to making a tulpa. Without completing this step, you cannot have anything speaking to you, because there isn't anything there to do the talking in the first place.

The ways to go about this, sourced from many places in the tulpas community, are:

Narrate: Spend your day speaking to your tulpa, tell it how you feel, what you are doing, how you are liking your day, what color the sky is, and so on. It doesn't matter what you say, how you say it, and so on, so long as you are saying something, and that thing is addressed to your tulpa rather than just being regular thoughts.

Have others address your tulpa: Have a name for your tulpa, and head over to the IRC, or some other chatroom, give those online the name, and ask them to speak to your tulpa.

Write to your tulpa: Write a journal, an article, a notebook, and do the same thing as when you narrate, but on paper, rather than in thought only.

Read books with tulpa-like entities: Often-times people will adopt methods of thought after they read a book, and reading a book that involves a main character with a thing speaking to them in their head, can put you in that very mindset. Capture and try to extend what that feels like.

--Develop the "personhood" of the tulpa.--

This step often is performed at the same time as the first step. This skill is the ability to "know" your tulpa as you do a family member of a friend. This sense of personality helps you to be able to tell when and where a response is you, or if the response is not you. It helps you figure out contexts, and it helps you sort responses from the tulpa from intrusive thoughts.

Narrate: When you narrate to your tulpa, keep in mind who they are, and attempt to think how your tulpa would react. If you talk about a new video game, then would your tulpa like this game? Would they dislike it? Would they be glad to see you are happy? Or sad to see you didn't spend that time forcing? If you have to, make up things to fit the general personality you have in mind. Eventually, you will want to find yourself no longer making up responses, but instead having a feel for what your tulpa would do based on previous reactions you thought through.

Write to your tulpa: See narration, it's the same thing, but on paper rather than in the mind.

Create a form: This process involves the imagining of the body your tulpa has. To do this is very simple. Lay down one day, and try to imagine the body of the tulpa you want to exist. You can have a tulpa with any form, from a blue ball, to a beefy cyberdemon. The form is literally limited only by your imagination.

This can have a variable effect on how much it defines who you know your tulpa as. Many tulpa, for example, are made entirely from characters from various books, movies, and tv shows. They have the form, personality, and feel of that character, and that makes it a lot easier to complete the entire process of getting familiar with who your tulpa *is*. Others, however, have tulpa that often shift between forms, and have no real connection between personality and form (It's what I use the term "shapeshifters" for). So if you have a tulpa who is their form, this can be very important, but for tulpas with a form, it is less so.

Create a wonderland: The wonderland is similar to the form. It is an imaginary, consistent, area, in which you imagine your tulpa to live in. Having a wonderland allows you to better imagine yourself walking around in a "space" that belongs to, and could be modified by, the tulpa. You create it much like how you do a form, by laying down and imagining the area, and committing it to memory.

A wonderland can be big, small, or anywhere between, and can also be used as a tool to reinforce your tulpa's personality. Try to make one that isn't sterile and void of meaning, but imagine one that belongs to your tulpa, and customize it to match their personality. A happy church on a hill, or a gloomy Gothic church in a valley.

Even if you don't pick a very personalized wonderland, it can do wonders to help enforce in your mind that your tulpa is a living being in your head. While you make the wonderland, be sure to imagine how your tulpa would live there, create and imagine all the scenarios, of your tulpa using a swingset, or liking that painting on the wall.

#----Develop the habit of speaking to, or interacting with, your tulpa----#

In the car and bored? Narrate. Walking around at school? Narrate. Walking around at work? Narrate. Showering? Narrate. Bored? Write a journal entry to your tulpa.

Practice and enforce the above whenever you are able to. The more effort you put in, the better results you will get. Is that effort required? No. Can you be lazy? Yes. However, you get what you put in, so if you put in lazy, you get out light to modest progress.

The goal of this step is that, just as I think "type ctrl-t, the "re" into the URL, hit enter" to go to reddit when I am bored, you should start narrating to your tulpa when you have a bit of idle mental time, and you should be able to easily address your tulpa, know what they are like, and so on.

#----Create the mindset which cause responses to occur----#

The best way to get yourself into such a mindset is to ask easy, simple, answerable questions. You can ask these questions while forcing regularly. You should ask these questions while expecting a response from your tulpa. The questions should be easy to answer, both by your knowledge of your tulpa's personality, and by the question being able to be answered in a single word. (Do you like ice cream?)

The trick to this is to one day be asking a question, and hear, somewhere in the back of your head, somewhere in your thoughts, a simple "yes". This "yes" (or no) will feel like you, will feel like parroting, will feel odd, but there will be a question in the back of your head, the nagging feeling that this wasn't really you.

This stage, the "first moment of doubt", is gone over in more detail in the post below:

http://pastebin.com/KgDJn507

As per what is detailed there, if you pass this point, if you find yourself able to doubt that a response has originated from yourself or not, you can be both confident that you have been doing well, and that you are either well on your way, or already have, a tulpa. Secondly, I would be confident at this stage in telling others that you have an (early/developing) tulpa, rather than saying that you are attempting to create one.

#----Continue to develop your tulpas ability to communicate----#

Easy questions are boring. Tulpa aren't about knowing if they like that slice of cheese, or if they find you a cool person. They are about large, complex, rolling conversations that feel like they are with another human being. About the feeling of communication, of there being someone you can bounce ideas off of, of companionship, and so on.

After you have established and can consistently get small responses from your tulpa, it may well be time to move onward to the big ones.

I have much less definite advice here, and would love to see/edit in any others have. The gist of what I can tell you to do is to just keep on forcing, keep on doing all the previous steps, and try not to slow down or get lethargic about things. Over time, remember to ask more complex questions, try to move away from things with simple answers, and instead ask questions that are simple in nature to answer, but require more than a yes or a no.

If a question is too complex or not, greatly depends on the aspects of the personality you have been forcing so far, and the sort of imagination you have.

For example, "how was your day" may be a simple question if you are aware that your tulpa is often happy, often does happy and playful things, your tulpa may respond "I was at the park" or perhaps it would respond "my day was great, the sun in the wonderland was bright, and the weather was wonderful" (in which case you are doing very well). Perhaps, instead, it will tell you it tried out some sport, or some other activity in the park in your wonderland that you created.

However, such a question implies the tulpa was active and capable through the day, which you may not be able to cope with at the moment. (and may want to try to use techniques to make yourself believe this).

Instead, you could ask only "What do you think about this thing over here?", which requires only a capability to like or dislike something, and allows your tulpa to respond with anything from "yes" to "I think it's cool, but I don't like that it's rotating towards us, and shooting fire", giving a wide range of possibly complexity to the answers.

That's what I refer to when I talk about complexity in responses. Complex responses that require lots of thought, planning, and so on, may take time to grasp. Simple responses are easy to achieve, and easy to believe.

The best recommendation I can give for this level of forcing is to slide your way up the complexity scale, slowly asking and expecting more complex answers as you get better with the less complex ones, until you can as your tulpa it's opinion on french fries, or can inquire as to what it did yesterday while you were out doing boring real life stuff.

___

post-guide links, and comments.

For those of you who want more reading and tips on making a tulpa, here are my "common pitfalls and issues".

http://community.tulpa.info/thread-forcing-common-pitfalls-and-traps-while-making-a-tulpa

For those of you wanting to hear about visualization, I have nothing, and likely never will. I don't consider it important, so you will have to find elsewhere for advice on that. Sorry.

For those of you very interested in switching (swapping places with tulpa in the mind), parallelism (you and tulpa thinking at the same time), and so on, I do have ideas I want to go over in the future on that, in detail, but for now, I will leave you with my comments on those things that are as of yet incomplete (I currently cannot posses, do little parallel processing, and have yet to switch.)

On the mindsets that may help someone switch (or to literally change places, and assume the role of the tulpa) (I imply it is necessary in the post, I didn't really mean to, I meant it as more a look at the two ways you can go about creating a tulpa).

http://pastebin.com/jZDjL7MD

If you want to try to, while forcing the idea of a tulpa external to you, to try to also force the idea that "you" are not the same thing as your brain, and report back with anything you experience, I would be greatly happy to hear from you.

As for your tulpa being able to control a part of your body, imagine this guide above, detailed instead around moving a part of your body. It isn't such a far-off thing to imagine doing that, although I haven't tried it myself.

5 answers to this question

Looks good overall. There are a few minor things I'd change with wording and grammar, but I'll say approved for guides.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Looks good overall. There are a few minor things I'd change with wording and grammar, but I'll say approved for guides.

What are they?

This guide assumes that tulpa are

plural
a thing
singular.

The specifics of if tulpa are sentient, if tulpa are actually independent beings in the mind, and so on, are discussed in the post linked below, and will be avoided in this guide:

I think I'd use whether instead of if.

I thought there was something else, but I'm not seeing it now. Like I said, very minor stuff that doesn't really affect the meaning or people's perception of it whatsoever.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Okay, sure. As it is I guess it's a reasonably generic creation guide that I'd probably be OK with approving. I mean, you don't really deviate from the beaten track here. I don't know if this is overly pessimistic but when you say

The purpose of this guide is to lay out a technique for making a tulpa which, rather than being based on a series of steps you must complete before you have formed a tulpa in your mind, considers the process of creating a tulpa as one more like developing a personal skillset. It seeks to bypass issues of parrotnoia entirely by this shift in how tulpa are viewed.

I don't think you've met that goal here. What this reads to me like is you extending narration to include some other stuff - but still instructions - and also a focus on exact dialogue and things like 'complex' vs 'simple' responses. The shift, if anything, is towards issues of ""parrotnoia"", or at least that's how it seems to me, given that pastebin. It tells you how doubting is a major stage of development, and talks at length about why it's bad. Then it finishes with "so don't do it, ok." Is that really helpful?

Maybe the bigger change in mindset that you're aiming for is one that I remember from you before, about 'complexity' of responses and personal development - fair enough. I would have said that that took a bit of reading in on my part, but maybe you don't want to be explicit. Anyway, that's fine, but I'm not sure how effectively that bypasses any issues. And to me, reading with my not-so-fresh mind on the matter, it seems like quite a minor change on top of more-or-less orthodoxy.

I'm not necessarily being strongly critical, just that I'm wondering about the rationale behind some of the stuff I've noticed if I've read correctly, and if I'm not correct then maybe there are wording issues.

Yeah, I do agree with a lot of what waffles said. It's pretty OK, but it has some kinks and I'm not sure if you wrote what you wanted to write. Also a few little typos that popped out for me, maybe because Sushi already pointed out the whole "tulpa" word thing:

>The ways to go about this, sourced from many places in the tulpas community

Just "tulpa", maybe?

>but for tulpas with a form, it is less so

Tulpas isn't incorrect, but you have used "tulpa" as the plural elsewhere in the guide.

>Continue to develop your tulpas ability to communicate

Tulpa's, yeah?

Then some questions about your wording.

>Visualization: Seeing the tulpa, or imagining the tulpa, in reality.

What does "in reality" mean here? If I was a newcomer, I'd read this line as something that we call imposition, as in, hallucinations. Visualization meanwhile is "just" when you see them in your mind's eye. I'm not sure if you tried to merge the two here or if you meant imposition or...

>(or to literally change places, and assume the role of the tulpa)

The role of the tulpa? Does such a thing exist? Whether I'm in control or not, it doesn't make my "role" less of a host or more of a tupper. If my role can even be more than just staying alive.

When it comes to the pastebin about doubt, yeah, doubt is normal. We shouldn't demonize it and writing that it's alright is good. But telling people to just not doubt isn't going to be very useful. You had some good points about that and I use a similar one a lot, like "if you never used to doubt if the thoughts were you before, why did you suddenly start wondering why it might be someone else now?" and such. I wrote a thing about doubt as well, but rather than saying "don't doubt", I just said "don't decide whether or not it's real or not when you don't have enough experience". You had a similar line too, but I feel like your "don't doubt" message kinda muddies it up.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)