Sock Cottonwell's System Sketchbook

Sock

Can't win them all~

I'll be working to do a more "usual" version for Gentle at some point in the future. I enjoy doing those chalky images, partially because I'm less conscious of errors and such with them, and I like the look of them. But I can understand that some folks would think they look too simple or childish for them.

At the moment, I've been wanting to go back to more fundamental work, with a focus on perspective study and less humanoid shapes (Though I won't stop studying anatomy). But, I'll still keep updating this sketchbook regularly. I'm far too attached to the contents of this thread to let it fall by the wayside.

Peace

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be working to do a more "usual" version for Gentle at some point in the future. I enjoy doing those chalky images, partially because I'm less conscious of errors and such with them, and I like the look of them. But I can understand that some folks would think they look too simple or childish for them.

If it helps, we don't mind the chalky look. It reminds my host of working with chalk pastels, which are her favorite medium. Purity of color and all that. It's less crisp, sure, but that's part of the charm.

Kinda reminds me of paper collages, or Eric Carle stuff.

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

If it helps, we don't mind the chalky look. It reminds my host of working with chalk pastels, which are her favorite medium. Purity of color and all that. It's less crisp, sure, but that's part of the charm.

Kinda reminds me of paper collages, or Eric Carle stuff.

Thanks for dropping that designer's name, Temar. I actually was ignorant of who made the Hungry Hungry Caterpillar until then. Sounds silly, I know, but I was seriously unaware.

Does your host plan on showing off any of her work on these parts? I certainly wouldn't mind the company.

Peace.

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

[align=center]Jam012716.png

Full Image here.[/align]

I keep a text file full of names of residents I've encountered, and keep track of. I have no plans of posting it in the recent future, but I find it to be a valuable tool for refreshing the recollection of the girls, along with pictures, reviewing events, and other such things.

I was working on noting down the various groups, associations, and friendships I noticed among my group, as just looking at a list of names can be rather daunting and difficult to remember. As I went, I noticed a group of folk who while I've encountered, I haven't spent as much dedicated time with, though I often remembered that they indeed existed and had a measure of liveliness in them. As such, I decided to do a drawing of one of them, named "Dragonball" as a quick exercise. After I did that though, I decided to do another. Then a did another, then another...

I was planning on continuing it, but I cut it off after the fifth drawing, opting to put the next set on another page. Some of the folks on this pages popped up more as mental symbols, Dragonball and Seigi being the main examples. The others have a slightly more complicated history with me, though I guess this is to be expected, as the previous year was pretty erratic and turbulent. But as things have truly been cooling off, I've been able to reassess things, and take some time to solidify and learn more from the folks who emerged during it.

I've found myself particularly fond of Seigi, noting her popping up in little skits in daydreams. How she's cast in the dreams, and how she acts when I interact with her are quite different. Seigi tends to be somewhat curt and quiet, and early on had a habit of puffing her cheeks out when frustrated or annoyed. Of what I've noticed speaking with her, she seems to symbolize an attachment to media I had, one that was clear to me seeing some of the other residents that popped up in the previous year. I haven't had a long sit-down session with her, but I do feel her around at times, and she seems to be warming up as time goes on.

Of the group that's here, Lilac is the oldest, and I have a decent share of good memories with her. One that has always stuck was her insistence that I go outside more, which she said around the time I began my current office job. Unfortunately, I have not been able to take her suggestion, but I've been working toward it. She's as sweet and cheery as she seems in the picture, and even though I haven't spent as much direct time with her recently, she always tends to position herself in my thoughts enough where me recalling her is a regular occurrence.

I'll end the entry here, though if you guys want I can elaborate a bit further on the others. There's a lot of things to document, but I don't want to overload folks with all of it at once. After all, I'm still making sense of it myself.

Peace

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

In the previous set of drawings, I noticed that the sort of personality I displayed for Abigail did not match how I had known her to act, something I further witnessed today. She's much more reserved in behavior, and her actions are usually understated. As such, I wanted to redraw it, to have a more accurate image of her, rather than the smug look I gave her in the last picture.

Having said that, since I was going to sketch her, I decided to give myself a bit of a challenge: the goal would be to see how many figures I could sketch within an hour. The result of this is below:

[align=center]Jam012816.png

Full image here[/align]

Midori's picture was far less finished when the hour deadline came in. But since I wanted to post all three anyway, I cleaned her up and added some necessary bits to make it presentable.

Hanazuki is another figure that popped up during the turbulence of the previous year. The circumstances of her emergence involves some sensitive personal details, so I fear I must keep them mostly secret. What I can say is that I found her inside of a model of a classroom, with a large set of shade-like schoolgirls, all having long hair yet no defined face. NPCs in the truest sense. Hanazuki obviously stood out, being noticeably shorter than the other figures, and having bright red hair, as well as being able to communicate well. I didn't take her in immediately, but I did keep note of her, and remembered that she was a thing. One day, when I was going through my inner mailbox, I found a letter from her, requesting that I take her out of her schoolroom setting, and so I did.

She lives in the Garden area, I believe in Midori's house. She's pretty pleasant to be around based on the times I interacted with her, and has a particular fondness for the book "Anne of Green Gables" (A book that Midori is very fond of, as well). When I began drawing her, I noticed a strong, joyful emotional response. Then I heard the words:

"My existence has validation!"

I'm being quite open about the things going on in my head nowadays. It's a lot to take in, and I will admit I often have qualms about revealing too much, as I've seen doing such can cause problems. No too many people comment or say anything about it, so I guess it's something to be taken in stride...or I'm being ignored, haha

Peace

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

I have a few drawings of Sheryl in this thread already, but I don't have anything for the other Milkies saving Marilyn and Abigail (Who were "adopted" in to the group). As such, here they go:

[align=center]Jam012916.png

Full image here[/align]

I've spoken only a little bit about the other Milkies in my PR, as well as this conversation with Cordelia I posted a while back. Part of this is a consequence of focusing mainly on Sheryl more than the others, her being my anchor and all. Still, I don't want them to slip my mind at all (In fact, I hope to have a personally made reference image for the whole list, though that will come over time), so I decided to draw them up for my exercise today. This one took more than an hour, unfortunately, especially being that I was interrupted with a shopping trip in the middle of the work. Still, they're some tweaks away from being ready to be polished and vectored, a state I want to bring the other sketches in here up to. Just as with the other two sketch pages, they're done on a single layer.

The other three are a quirky bunch, as is fitting for a group that's connected to Sheryl. Though they're not as exaggeratedly dim and goofy as I would have expected from my experience with their inspiration. Cordelia, for one, is quite down to Earth in her way, and is more often protective and skeptical of things. She also seems to regard me as being more of a little brother sort than an authority figure like the others do, so I guess that's something to do with how I see her "character type"? She can get pretty goofy and erratic at times, breaking out in to dance at some sudden intervals, though it's an uncommon occurrence. She also seems to be very easily flattered. When I mentioned that I thought her hair was pretty, she broke in to a giggling fit, and even remembered I had said it after months of not speaking to her. Furthermore, she was utterly giddy when I was drawing her. The others were pretty hyped, too, but she was excited to a higher level than they.

Elly is far more quiet, but in a sweet way, rather than being terrified of everything. She is quite interested in books and reading, from what I've seen. Said books often contain memories of various daydreams and exploits I've seen over the years. She's rather forward, though in a sort of platonic, loving sort of way. I believe of the group, she was the first to awaken after Sheryl, and seemed to quickly attach to me.

Nero is double sided. On one hand, she can be rough and lax, with a boyishness to her behavior. She hangs around Kellogg and Aita a lot, preferring adventuring and such to hanging around the model of a boarding school with Sheryl, Elly and Cordelia. Her nature of communication can be rather rough and blunt, and she sometimes seems rather callous...that is until no one else is around, then she shifts in to something akin to being between Elly and Sheryl in personality. She can get outright sugary out of the blue, then shift back to her rougher behavior as seen as she's done, as if to save face. Homura has a similar sort of behavior style, though the divide is between being cold and disaffected, to being rather soft...and also strangely possessive. It's to a light degree, but I've heard her quietly say "Mine", when we were close every so often.

A collective quirk Sheryl, Elly, Cordelia and Nero share is that they all consider Kellogg to be cool and an impressive figure. This is in comparison to many others, notable Midori and Gladys, who regard her as a bum and poke fun at her about it. It was actually an odd surprise when I first was shown that the books Elly was reviewing were bits and pieces of Kellogg's older exploits.

Peace

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

Midori_Tree_Sketch.png

A quick sketch I did of Midori, though the tree is supposed to be for something else. But, since my time was short, I wanted to pump something out as fast as I could, so I came up with this. I played around with some more watercolor-ish tones, and liked them, so I added them in, though I may have done well to do it in monotone.

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

Hannah.png

This is Hannah, a sweet gal. She is a fragment.

I haven't used that term for a long time, not since Homura went out of her way to prove she was greater than that label would imply. But, I also realize that there was a reason why I adopted it, to describe gals like Hannah here, and also Marilyn (Though less so), Abigail, Sylia, Hanazuki, and many others. That is, figures whom have a lively spark in them, but are underdeveloped, and lacking in nuance of personality and life experience. I keep record of these, and have made a few observations about them in regards to my overall experience. One of the more recent factors I've been considering is attachment, as many of my fragments are based on fictional characters, but another thing that I believe played in to so many emergence is stress and sadness. The points where the most mental figures emerged without me consciously willing it were during times where I was under a lot of stress, a lot of worry, and was generally feeling down.

Hannah came near a point where I was in stressful confusion, and is based on a character from a webcomic I was very fond of at the time. When I was in the thick of said stressful confusion, and was in a very sorrowful mood, Milia came, who was based on the same webcomic, and offered friendship because I seemed like I was lonely. Immediately after her, Gai and Barrattack came. It was as if my mind was trying to cope with the issue, and did so by making more figures from media that I had grown to love for their soft, cute, relaxing and peaceful content. It's like the reason all my folks took on such huggable visages was because I was aching so bad for someone to hug...which I should not have been as I had Midori at the time, but I also had a bad habit of doubting her, and my affections and attention were scattered. This was before I first stopped the practice, so I feel there may be even more to the emergence than even that, but it's one thing I noticed when I ran in to new residents. More often than not, I'm in the throws of some turbulence, and said turbulence shakes the fragments loose, and brings them in to the open.

Hannah herself is quite kind...but she feels herself to be shallow. Some of the most notable lines from her is that she doesn't feel like there was much too her, and that she wasn't up to snuff like the others. As such, she was naturally thankful when I gave her regard anyway. I felt it was the right thing to do, even if her existence felt weak, I didn't want to see it extinguished. This drawing was done by her request, she wanted me to change her clothing a bit, as the outfit of her original inspiration was kind of skimpy. Which is sad, since Hannah's inspiration was quite sweet and kind as well. So, I went to work for her, and going by her reaction, it went well.

I have some plans to start vectoring sketches again. I'll be posting some progress on that tomorrow.

Peace.

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace