Age limit

Guest Anonymous

If a teenager comes onto this site looking for advice on how to make a tulpa, and runs into an age limit, one of two things will happen.

1) They will fake their age. This makes the age limit pointless.

2) They will leave the site dejected and make their tulpa by themselves, most likely screwing up the process and hurting themselves or their tulpa.

Both outcomes are back. Thus, an age limit is bad.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an age limit won't help at all since people can lie and fake their age. I myself am fifteen years old, so what would happen if you add the age limit? Would my account be deleted? Or would it stay since it was created pre 18+ age limit? Even if you create a higher age limit people can still browse the site without needing to log in.

If there was a 18+ age limit to create a account I probably would have faked my age to get help creating a tulpa. Or I would have read all the articles I could find on tulpas and still create one.

When I create a thread on "questions and answers" and said I was fifteen, everyone didn't immediately answer my questions, but instead made sure I understood what I was getting into, and heeded caution, which warned me what I was getting into. However if people want a tulpa they will find a way, and if we limit access to tulpa.info then they won't be able to ask questions and receive answers from some of the best.

Just my opinion, thought I would throw in my two cents even though I'm new to the forums :)

If the reasons for adding an age minimum would be that they exhibit behaviors X, Y, and Z, wouldn't it be more prudent to ban those behaviors? This would ban people who are technically above the hypothetical age minimum, while also allow people below the age minimum to post. All we would have to do is figure out what X, Y, and Z are.

The site is required by U.S.A. law to limit it's membership to persons 13 years or older. If you're younger then that , the account will be banned until you reach the age of 13 years. Age in this context is the elapsed time the physical body has been on this Earth.

no one is going to tell someone asking, "Don’t make a tulpa," unless there’s an extreme problem.

For about two years I would tell people "don't make a tulpa." I eventually realized it was counterproductive, as all it seemed to do was give them the idea "Cool! I want a tulpa like Nobillis." In trying to convince them otherwise I'd mistakenly demonstrated that some tulpas can be eloquent. (I've had people tell me that this was actually what changed their mind about making a tulpa - me, trying to convince them to not make one.)

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

Guest Anonymous

For about two years I would tell people "don't make a tulpa." I eventually realized it was counterproductive, as all it seemed to do was give them the idea "Cool! I want a tulpa like Nobillis." In trying to convince them otherwise I'd mistakenly demonstrated that some tulpas can be eloquent. (I've had people tell me that this was actually what changed their mind about making a tulpa - me, trying to convince them to not make one.)

Well that makes sense, especially when you were talking to teenagers silly! :-)

Maybe if instead of telling them not to make a tulpa, but advising them of the dangers of making a tulpa then they might not have made a tulpa.. just a thought :)

Guest Anonymous

Nope. That doesn't work with teenagers either. :-/

I suggest to dissuade young teens we promote the educational and moral benefits of creating a tulpa. :-)

Hell, I was definitely young when I heard of all this and the things that appealed to me the most even back then were then introspective/self-discovery aspects of tulpamancy.

Counterpoint edit: I still haven't made a tulpa after almost 4 years.

Oh jeez. Someone brought this back from the dead. Jean-Luc and I both started at young ages and we turned out fine. Bottom line is, age limits won't work at all because of faking ages or the deterring of new members.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033