How are young tulpas and imaginary friends different?

Guest Anonymous

Mistgod is insecure about Melian? I don't see how you can reach that conclusion. About half of the parts Mistgod had made have been advertising how Melian is different from tulpas. If anything, I'd say he's proud of it.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mistgod is insecure about Melian? I don't see how you can reach that conclusion. About half of the parts Mistgod had made have been advertising how Melian is different from tulpas. If anything, I'd say he's proud of it.

As i said, my statement was extrapolated. However, you acknowledge that he says himself that melian is different (like often). He surely is proud of her but still sometimes get the conclusion that she is "less" than a tulpa at the same time, while claiming that she isn't less real for him at all. I think melian isn't probably that "less" in the end, but he sticks with it out of subconscious insecurity. It's not black or white. ( I like both anyway)

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

Guest Anonymous

Its like I said. If they are real to him or make him happy, thats fine. The only reason I think hes insecure is the constant threads about Melian. It does come across like hes looking for some kind of acceptance from the community before he can fully accept her himself, and I think thats wrong.

Well thank you Luminesce for saying pretty much what I wanted to say, but in a much nicer way.

As for the subject, if you go by the new age definition, then ALL thoughtforms are pretty much considered imaginary friends. But, in the little bit of digging that I did, there seems to be one thing in common: personality

Some basic definitions that I found:

Imaginary friends

"Imaginary friends or imaginary companions are a psychological and social phenomenon where a friendship or other interpersonal relationship takes place in the imagination rather than external physical reality."

Well then what about the relationships between the alters of those with DID, something we know exists?

DID

"A disorder characterized by the presence of two or more distinct personality states."

So then what is personality, if that's the defining factor for DID?

"the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character."

And I'd like to add a little bit to the personality definition, personality is specifically the characteristics that a character displays. It's the traits that we are seeing THEM give off.

So let's take this, and make some sense out of it. An imaginary friend is simply a companion created from the mind. Now, in the tulpa community, a tulpa exhibits personality, sentience, autonomy, etc., but the difference is that we FEEL like it's not us roleplaying these things out. I'm not saying tulpas exist, I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying how it FEELS (at least to me). But what this leads to is a vicious circle between these things: A thoughtform is just in my head - but alters for people with DID are in their head - my tulpa exhibits personality, so it's similar to an alter in that aspect - but it's a companion in my head, therefore an imaginary companion. And you could make this argument for a while.

But for the early stages? There's not really much difference. It all depends on what you classify an imaginary friend as. If we have a solid definition, or a more specific definition, then maybe we could get somewhere a little deeper.

Its like I said. If they are real to him or make him happy, thats fine. The only reason I think hes insecure is the constant threads about Melian. It does come across like hes looking for some kind of acceptance from the community before he can fully accept her himself, and I think thats wrong.

The only thing is that Melian has been with him for about 40 years now. Mistgod already has his opinion of what Melian is, he's just in the search for information about what others think about their experience. I'm on the same boat as him, I desire to know as much as I can about this stuff, and the best way is to discuss with others who are having a similar experience. No harm in the pursuit of knowledge (as long as it's within reason).

I'm IBreakGames, a genuine dude.

We gave up on using different colors for each of us, so there's Al, Ollie, and Eva. We're all rabbits, get over it.

Guest Anonymous

Mistgod, can we just stop this?

I get that you are insecure that what you have isnt a tulpa, but you dont need to keep making threads like this in order to justify their existence to yourself.

If they make you happy, thats great, you dont need our approval.

Stop what? Discussing on the forum? No I think I will continue to contribute thank you. I am far, far more secure than you think. In fact, as far as my thoughtform Melian goes, I am more secure than most tulpamancers. You got me all wrong, once again. Totally wrong. Quit making false assumptions about me and false accusations and maybe you will get to know me better.

In one post I was reacting to someone implying I was a fake and a liar. The rest have just been my discussions and things that came to my mind that I was wondering about. If you don't like it, just ignore what I write. You are wasting my time and the time of others and just trolling me.

Intent for them to be their own people. Belief that they are. And preferably some kind of evidence (to yourself) that they're autonomous and not completely reliant on your own thoughts. But the rules for "What is an imaginary friend" are even more subjective than what makes a tulpa, so it could be more or less than that. Some imaginary friends are literally tulpas that just aren't comfortable being called a tulpa, and some are just a person you imagine sometimes.

Actually, I was expecting something along these lines from you! As Melian would say, FABULOUS! It is BELIEF and INTENT. That is the difference. Fundamentally, at their core, imaginary friends and young tulpas are both made of imagination. But what sets them apart is intent and belief. How they are regarded is important. If you regard an imaginary friend as a separate consciousness, it is beginning on the road to becoming a tulpa.

They are still fundamentally the same consciousness though,as there is only one brain.

Hey, we agree here!

Guest Anonymous

Stop what? Discussing on the forum? No I think I will continue to contribute thank you. I am far, far more secure than you think. In fact, as far as my thoughtform Melian goes, I am more secure than most tulpamancers. You got me all wrong, once again. Totally wrong. Quit making false assumptions about me and false accusations and maybe you will get to know me better.

Right, you know what? Fuck this. Im bloody sick of your uptight, condescending, assholeish and just all around bad attitude to anyone who disagrees with you.

Lets make a deal. Ill never talk to you again, you never talk to me again. Ok?

Then we are both happy

Guest Anonymous

I could care less if you don't like me writing a lot about Melian. I have explained many times that I am obsessed with her and we are constant companions and blended.

I "accepted" Melian 38 years ago. My gods, you have me so wrong it is laughable!

BTW, do you have a tulpa? I don't know anything about your tulpa or you. Why is that? Maybe you should share a little more about your own experience instead of whining about what I write. Stop trying to analyze me and push me around on this forum MonsterKid. If you haven't noticed, it is not working at all and you are off base.

Right, you know what? Fuck this. Im bloody sick of your uptight, condescending, assholeish and just all around bad attitude to anyone who disagrees with you.

Lets make a deal. Ill never talk to you again, you never talk to me again. Ok?

Then we are both happy

Sounds fantastic. But I don't think I am the one being unreasonable here.

Guest Anonymous

But I don't think I am the one being unreasonable here.

Of course you dont.

Bye

Guest Anonymous

As i said, my statement was extrapolated. However, you acknowledge that he says himself that melian is different (like often). He surely is proud of her but still sometimes get the conclusion that she is "less" than a tulpa at the same time, while claiming that she isn't less real for him at all. I think melian isn't probably that "less" in the end, but he sticks with it out of subconscious insecurity. It's not black or white. ( I like both anyway)

I think the insecurity you detect is real and this is very observant. In fact, I have admitted to having an inferiority complex on this forum before. It was a big problem for a long while, but that has been passing over time. BUT as far as Melian herself goes, I am not in any way insecure about her existence or identity. I know exactly who she is and what she is and who I am. I am indeed proud of her, just as she is. That is why I like to talk about her so damn much.

I think MonsterKid was right about wanting acceptance, that is true. I do seek acceptance. But that is not the only reason I write a lot, far, far from it. I write a lot because I like to write a lot and I am very interested in tulpamancy and this forum. MonsterKid is over simplifying me down to an uniformed weakling troll. WRONG.

I think the insecurity you detect is real and this is very observant. In fact, I have admitted to having an inferiority complex on this forum before. It was a big problem for a long while, but that has been passing over time. BUT as far as Melian herself goes, I am not in any way insecure about her existence or identity. I know exactly who she is and what she is and who I am. I am indeed proud of her, just as she is. That is why I like to talk about her so damn much.

I think MonsterKid was right about wanting acceptance, that is true. I do seek acceptance. But that is not the only reason I write a lot, far, far from it. I write a lot because I like to write a lot and I am very interested in tulpamancy and this forum. MonsterKid is over simplifying me down to a weakling troll. WRONG.

Yeah i pretty much thought so. But lets be straight here: I love to analyze just for the purpose of analyzing, so i may go over the top sometimes. And i wasn't even aware that Melian is already 38(!) years old. That's why i normally like threads like this. Discussion is something good. The real problem is drama resulting in and around such a thread, which ends up in a bitter taste when another similiar thread starts.

Well i'm not going to take position in the case of MonsterKid, since i basically said everything necessary in my initial post on this thread.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.