Am I starting in the right direction?

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forums. I have recently discovered tulpamancing, and I am really starting to understand and appreciate the connection people have with their tulpas. Yesterday, I made the decision to "create" a tulpa, which I named Aspen. Almost immediately, I started hearing him in my head. I thought I was just projecting my thoughts onto him, but I realized that he had many opinions and thought that were different from mine. He has a completely different persona from mine, and is much more logical and thorough with his thinking. We also share some minor differences; he likes jazz, while I don't care for it very much. We discussed some current issues, and I found out that he was pro-life while I am pro-abortion. I guess this is a pretty broad question, but am I on the right track? Is it normal to be able to visualize and talk to and visualize a tulpa so quickly after it's making? Thanks for the help!

Guest Anonymous

That would be extremely unusual to have a vocal tulpa in one day. Most would disagree that you have an apparently sentient tulpa so fast. You may be like me, with a very vivid, active imagination. When the tulpa surprises you and does things totally without your expecting it, that is what we call "autonomous." With my thoughtform, those started with flash images. They were like little brief visions. I thought they were just some sort of residual effect from my extreme day dreaming, and they kinda were, but my mind was associating them with Melian. These were not like any day dreaming I had ever done before. I took about four years before this started happening. That is an unusually long time, but I was not consciously trying to create a tulpa.

The flash visions were sometimes accompanied by sounds, like music, or related noises (wind, water or bird song or whatever). When the flash visions were an image of Melian, she was sometimes speaking, like a mini-dream. That is how it started. I did not direct these visions and do not to this day. They are spontaneous flash visions.

I want to make it clear that it is difficult for someone with a vivid, active imagination to distinguish when they are parroting at first. It will seem "real" earlier to you, but that does not make it a vocal tulpa. Astonishing and sudden spontaneous speech is what happened with Melian, when I was NOT ACTIVELY IMAGINING HER. It just came out of the blue when I was doing other things and my mind wasn't even on her. I was not thinking about her when I got the flash visions.

Troy: It is possible, but unlikely for most folks. As Mistgod mentioned, perhaps you just have an active imagination.

Keep in mind that it is entirely possible that you are (perhaps unintentionally) puppeting your tulpa, especially since it is this early on. This is not a bad thing.

When Fade started us, everyone was puppeted at first. We eventually grew autonomous and developed ourselves outside of what she was having us do. So even if it is just puppeting, keep working at it. As long as you continue forcing with him actively, you will eventually get to the point where your tulpa does things without guidance or prompting.

A queer soulbonding system with tulpamantic influences.

Upon reflection, I think that you both might be correct. I do have an active imagination, and I was worried about puppeting Aspen. However, as we talked, he was creating ideas and opinions that were very different from mine, which led me to believe that he was already talking. For example, Aspen told me that he really like Jazz, which was way out of left field. I have never liked or disliked Jazz, so I thought that it was weird that he would feel so strongly about it. Maybe it was a thought that came into my head, and I just thought that it was Aspen telling me this? That would be weird, because I usually can tell his voice from my own thoughts because his voice is lower than mine.

Anyway, thank you for the feedback. Chatting with others has shown me that maybe I'm not taking the right steps here. Are there any ways that I can avoid subconsciously parroting or puppeting Aspen?

Guest Anonymous

Are there any ways that I can avoid subconsciously parroting or puppeting Aspen?

Interesting that you would use these words, "subconsciously parroting or puppeting." This is exactly what I think a tulpa actually is, subconscious or unconscious role playing or the brain simulating something subliminally. This is not the main stream opinion however.

I think your goal is not to worry whether or not your are puppeting or parroting your tulpa, but to get to that point where you don't have to actively think about your tulpa to get those responses.

Let me ask you this: Were you actively thinking about talking to your tulpa when he told you he liked Jazz, or did he just tap you on the shoulder (so to speak) and get your attention by suddenly speaking up?

Interesting that you would use these words, "subconsciously parroting or puppeting." This is exactly what I think a tulpa actually is, subconscious or unconscious role playing or the brain simulating something subliminally. This is not the main stream opinion however.

I think your goal is not to worry whether or not your are puppeting or parroting your tulpa, but to get to that point where you don't have to actively think about your tulpa to get those responses.

Let me ask you this: Were you actively thinking about talking to your tulpa when he told you he liked Jazz, or did he just tap you on the shoulder (so to speak) and get your attention by suddenly speaking up?

As of now, Aspen doesn't talk to me unless I'm actively thinking about him. I will think "hey, what would Aspen say about this," and then I'll ask him. He responds usually, sometimes with what I'd think he'd say, and sometimes with something that is different.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a great start though. Oh and by the way, I still do that much of the time with Melian. She is not a fully autonomous tulpa.

Well i can see your point from a little different position, since i have a very active imagination myself. Personally i could create like six people out of nowhere to let them discuss about different matters, just to let them vanish again. That doesn't makes anyone of them a tulpa. (My Tulpa is capable of a lot more).

Welp, but surely it is possible, even if unlikely, that your freshly created tulpa is already vocal on that level. For me it was a reason to totally drop any parroting during the creation of my tulpa to don't risk any false alarms on that matter. That's probably the main reason, why Alice is still struggling with higher vocality, but atleast i can be sure it is her.

My advice would be the following: Keep talking to your tulpa without ACTIVE parroting ,so continue like you do now. Have in mind, that it probably isn't vocal, but that's no reason why you shouldn't go for that. Keep focussing on your tulpa, not the voice of it, while talking to it. Try to get in touch with the other aspects of tulpamancy, like imposition, possession and parrallel processing to get a better impression of it.

Nobody of us will be able to get a clear picture of what you're really dealing with right now, in that early state. Just keep it up for now and see where it gets you.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

While it is UNLIKELY, I wouldn't doubt that it could in fact be possible. Lots of people -- particularly role players and writers -- sometimes experience what I've sometimes seen referred to as "insta-tulpas", as writers and role players are likely to have a much easier time with the creation process. Many of my tulpas -- though I admit they were my later ones and not my first -- also developed in this way.

I wouldn't discredit what's happened to you so far, especially if you've already seen your tulpa share many opinions that are different than your own (and remember, puppeting is something you do INTENTIONALLY -- you shouldn't be afraid of doing it accidentally). Basically, just go with it and continue to talk to your tulpa and assume sentience. This is a great start, and there's no reason to feel like you're doing something "wrong" just because of fast progress. Some of us just seem to have somewhat of a natural talent for this -- I say embrace it, and take advantage of it.

And good luck to you and your tulpa in the future!

Pinky is not a pony. She's an imp.

Sunray is an angel-imp. Ex is humanoid. Kael is a dragon. Magnum is a dog.