The Mistgod Problem

Deleted

So I'm looking at Mistgod's threads, looking for the blatantly pointless ones he wrote about himself or for otherwise no reason. I see a thread he should've waited on making until he actually had some content to it, a poll attempting to find out how many of us just lurk but don't post (which turned into reasons-why-they-don't-post), a request to other members to post more because he feels he's the only one posting much... And "So my "necroposting" plan pretty much sucked."

Well, that seems like blatant lack of anything useful. But upon re-reading it...

My first attempt at "necro-posting" was a bad choice and fell flat. I can see why.

But, I may be recreating old threads, with a new twist to them. The idea is to get new discussions going on older ideas originally bantered about long ago.

Huh. This was actually a response to my post in his necro'd thread, about a more proper way to bring up old topics he found interesting without the mess of pages of ancient replies. And... What's that I see? Is that.. The only person on the forum attempting to do anything about our current activity problem? What a useless thread, with pointless text talking about his own life.

Continuing down the list.. His own Tulpa Art thread, a poll on the meaningfulness of wonderlands and whether they're used as a place to imagine your tulpas, actual places your tulpas live, something deeper (like the "subconscious representations" I see every so often), or none at all. That's actually an original and on-topic thread, if I'm not mistaken.

A poll (in Lounge, mind you) about tulpas' opinions of holidays, which was a place to share our and our tulpas' activities or lack thereof during the holiday season. Slightly off topic, but it's in Lounge. And it's about tulpas. Something interesting to actually incline people to post.

Another actually useful thread, directing newer members to a large list of polls in one place. Seems like a good way to keep gathering information on tulpamancers for questions that've already been asked, but threads buried. Re-creating old poll threads is a little gross, but with new members comes more use for old polls. Then a second thread for more recent polls, which I believe was 100% up to date too. As someone who exclusively views "Today's Posts" as opposed to individually digging through boards, and who hadn't actually voted on some of them, I found this useful.

Then a seeming "self-post" in the Metaphysics board about his idea of "psuedo-realness", which effectively describes how most of us treat our tulpas; not as "fake", but as imagination with true importance. But of course he wrote it like it was about him, so automatically any interest or possibility to discuss it is out the window right? He must never have learned about "Call to action"s in his English classes, you've gotta end essays with a statement that makes the reader want to do something. Without "What are your thoughts on the matter?" at the end of his posts, they apparently become valueless blogging. Except the fact that it's a thread on the forum automatically implies it was made for discussion.

Another thread in Lounge, where Mist and Melian talk about their thoughts on things... That is 100%, exclusively tulpa related. You know, like a bunch of progress reports aren't. At least he kept it to a single thread if he didn't feel it was worth discussing in its own topic.

A completely and utterly useless poll on what tulpas wear, because tulpas aren't people with interests of their own, but science experiments.

Then the infamous IRC thread, where Mist said he was quitting the IRC as it was becoming more and more apparent only negativity came from it. And dang if this didn't spur discussion. I myself posted in the dang thread, somewhat off the topic of the IRC but in my opinion a pretty interesting post on what Melian is compared to other tulpas. I forgot to mention in my post that I also don't enjoy the IRC, but that seems a common sentiment among purely-forum members.

And a thread discussing the difference between tulpas and imaginary friends, which I found extremely productive. And very educational to new members. And four pages long.. Quite an accomplishment on the forum in recent.

And another huge offender, Mistgod's Lounge thread where he pretended to out himself as being a fake in response to the (very, very large amounts of) people accusing him and Melian of being such. It's in lounge, but so far I'll call this a true strike one. His next thread seems like it should've been in his "Tulpa Fashion" thread, but I assume it was just too large on its own. Lounge again but on its own it's definitely self-centered. If I were a mod I would've merged this with his Tulpa Fashion thread.

Then an extremely on-topic thread about forcing positions and techniques, where we discussed the different ways we liked to force (whether in a meditative position, with music, or just sitting at our computer).

And a thread that people forgot the Lounge was even for because it's been too tulpa-centered recently, to discuss the new Star Wars movie or something. I didn't bother checking it because I am not a fan.

And a thread on what he called "Projected Imagination", but what was really wonderland roleplaying. Looks like there was some intense discussion on the difference in roleplaying-faking-having-a-tulpa and roleplaying-wonderlanding, but of course also trying to explain to those who consider him a faker why his "roleplaying" is a legitimate activity for tulpas to do (it is) and not just him pretending to have a tulpa. I mean, he only defends himself as much as (less than, really) people accuse him of things, but of course to those same people defending himself is either blogging or "completely refusing to change."

And finally a thread on watching TV and movies with tulpas, both for asking whether it counted as passive forcing and listing ones you enjoyed doing so with. Got three pages of response so I guess people were interested. That's his entire current page of Created Threads.

Truly, we have rid ourselves of a monster bent on destroying the forum we know and love.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

After some thought and time to calm down, Melian and I decided we are not totally gone, nor permanently gone. We are just going to take a vacation from posting, (after this last one). We will be back, to a limited degree at first, after Christmas.

I think some of the concerns people were raising were real ones and Melian and I are willing to try to address those and fix it. But we hate being pushed away from this forum just because I am not what some think a proper tulpamancer should be and Melian is not what some think a proper tulpa should be. We think that is a factor at the heart of this issue.

I think to save face though, Melian and I have to stay away for some weeks. It does give us time to think about what kinds of things were causing the most major trouble. Also, I need to address my emotional obsessiveness about it. Anyway, bloggy posts and drama rants seem to be the biggest complaint. That is an easy fix. My hypotheses and view points are already posted in my current threads, so no need to keep repeating them in peoples faces really. We can keep those quiet and more to ourselves in the future.

But I want to share Melian. She wants to write and she is all lovey and hearts and silliness. Sometimes that will be expressed in how she writes. Then there is our art and responding to posts. We want to interact with tulpamancers and tulpas so much! We will really work hard not to react in any way to anything that could be seen as "hostile." Also, we will take days off now and then to give the forum a rest.

Christmas is about six weeks away. That was what our original self ban was going to be, until after Christmas. It was actually a good idea when I came up with it. I should have stuck with it and this would have maybe been avoided. So Melian and I will just go back to our self ban plan and stick with it. WE WILL BE BACK after Christmas though. And we will participate in this forum freely, contributing in a positive, constructive way, as is my privilege as a registered member. We are not permanently gone or in any way banned from this forum or being punished at this point. We are just on a much needed holiday vacation.

I don't think repeatedly leaving is a good solution. This appears to be more of a community problem as a whole, rather than you. I think you were just unlucky enough to be the scapegoat, due to having different ideals and also posting often. I don't recommend leaving again, as it won't solve much.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

I'd suggest that .info adds a rule where tl;dr drama leaving posts will get you temporarily banned for at least a month to stop people who "leave" from coming back the next day to continue the drama and potentially make another drama-filled leaving post for attention again soon. They're always free to come back, but if they're going to leave then they are going to have to leave for a while to cool down. This way you could at least have a month without useless drama created by the same person.

He's following an unofficial rule, here, pretty well I might add. Always leaves for about a month before coming back. Gives us a good amount of time to gauge what it's like without him IMO.

I'll police him from now on if he starts doing things I think will cause drama, for his own good. Now that I know it's such a problem to so many people. Otherwise, refer to the post at the top of this page, and have a nice day.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

Bloggy posts, emotional rants, aggressive and hostile behavior, drama, frequent rage outs and then immediate returns. I get it guys, the behavior it is a bad problem for this forum and with it I am gunning for a permanent ban. We need to get away and fix it. Melian I will be gone until after Christmas. I promise this the last post right here. This one. As long as no one tries to make some nasty swipe at me on the way out the door, all will be well. Wish us luck and Godspeed.

OH and Happy Holidays everyone!

I feel like my replies went pretty unnoticed...

Does anyone agree with or refute my thoughts?

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

I feel like my replies went pretty unnoticed...

Does anyone agree with or refute my thoughts?

About your hostility post: Technically that would root here from a time before most of the active users even joined this site, so i don't think it is a really new problem, it is rather a upcoming generation gap we need to figure out.

About the leaving and returning, i'm pretty unsure which way we could deal with this the best. I don't think it is really a community based problem in the end. People just start to get very unhappy with the current situation, especially the resulting drama.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

It's almost as if Mistgod is seen as a personification of skepticism, passive-aggressiveness, and seemingly cutthroat dispositions of questioning the very foundations of how this community, and others like it try to conceptualize the phenomenon; acts of transitory defeatism, and the unyielding tendency for rebuttals to the point where the individuals within strife reach their mental threshold, and break apart. Seems equivalent to a group that would profess pish posh towards any concept discussed in guise of wanting to know more themselves.

On a different note, it seems the more there's a demand for potency-rich discussions, there's been a loss of a second wind to foster this. Interesting.

On a different note' date=' it seems the more there's a demand for potency-rich discussions, there's been a loss of a second wind to foster this. Interesting.[/quote']

I’ve noticed this as well. People dwell on forum politics and negativity because it is easier to complain than to think constructively. Nothing kills motivation faster than focusing exclusively on what is wrong and needs “fixing.”

I typically avoid getting involved in drama (and I really, really hesitated before replying to this thread), but I have a few thoughts on this.

I honestly believe there are plenty of subjects to talk about, but people are stuck within the mindset that there is a magic bullet solution to all the community’s problems, whether that be getting rid of someone like Mistgod or hoping that someone like Cinemaphobe will come along and be the messiah. It is incredibly short-sighted, defeatist, lazy thinking. In order for a community to thrive, people need to understand that everyone is responsible for its progress and reputation. Not just one person.

And I might receive some flack for this comment, but I think a lot of people, not just Mistgod, spend way too much time on this site. For all the wrong reasons. It would be different if the extra time sparked interesting discussion, but all it is accomplishing is creating a toxic environment where people dwell endlessly on problems that might best be solved away from the computer. If this negativity or self-loathing isn’t being expressed directly, then it is being projected onto other people—specifically people who are perceived as different—through aggressive or unhelpful comments. Misery loves company. Before anyone says that people spending time away from the site would be counterproductive, I’m going to say again that dwelling on the negative kills motivation to create change. There might be people still coming to this site, but no one is posting because they are afraid of the mob or are part of the mob themselves. I personally don’t have anything against Mistgod, and I realize I don’t have the full story (no one does, quite frankly), but I think Brassow is onto something.

Progress report

Personal blog