What's Going On?

Reisen

Guest Anonymous

I will endeavor to place summations or synopses at the top or bottom of my biggest textwalls from hell. LOL

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tewi, yeah, I know, and I guess I was thinking more of something that wasn't either reviving old threads or replying to simple threads. Well, I could complain about the opposite, that if you start "conversation-style" threads like "Do you eat ice cream with your tulpa?", there's not much to say. On the flipside, I guess some people are put off by threads in which too much is said. So I don't think you can please everyone - I sure try to make my longposts readable if you don't have time, TL;DRing and/or highlighting important passages. But I guess others might not.

Anyway there's an interesting contradiction here

there's only so much to say before we're either out of things to post or people are tired of hearing from us. [...] We're still capable of making relevant and interesting threads

Well, "only so much to say" is what I would usually say myself. And, it's not like there's nothing new to say but I'm not really bursting with ideas anyway. And in that regard, yeah, it's not a mindset, it's just a practicality. People usually "wait" for others to start threads because they don't have any threads to start themselves, I guess.

Guest Anonymous

Complaints about silly threads. I am picking on waffles a bit but, hey that is always fun. Are nearly pointless threads of any value to this forum? Some may vehemently disagree, but I say they are of value. I have made many in my time on our old Mistgod and Groovy-guru accounts. Pointless polls too. They don't improve on the intellectual quality of the forum perhaps, and, I'll admit too many would be detrimental. But they are fun sometimes. There is nothing wrong with a little fun. I seem to remember I wrote a thread about visualizing your tulpa neked that was fairly popular.

Well, I could complain about the opposite, that if you start "conversation-style" threads like "Do you eat ice cream with your tulpa?", there's not much to say.

Eating ice cream with your tulpa is deep conversation material pal. First of all, what flavors do you like? What toppings do you prefer? Do you taste the ice cream together or separately? How is the tulpa tasting the ice cream exactly? What about ice cream headaches, does your tulpa feel them? Where do you like to eat your ice cream? Does eating ice cream make you happy and does it make your tulpa happy, when you are feeling down? Ice cream is important and there is a lot I could say bout it.

I cheated cause I added a lot of extra questions to fluff out the hypothetical ice cream thread.

P.S. If everything we post needs to be an intellectual think tank dissertation on philosophy and psychology, this forum will die a hideous slow death of boringness.

What's the contradiction? Sorry, the first part was referring exclusively to replying to threads, the second to creating threads. Theoretically there's no point where I would have to stop making threads, while in threads I've already posted in there's not much left to say.

Not to imply old members coming up with new qualitative thread topics is easy of course, it's not. But it might be more worth your time to think of one than to wait around for someone else to.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Sorry Tewi, I misread you there. In that case, we're kinda different in that regard. I could probably talk more on some subjects for which threads exist, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything thread-starting-worthy. Well, I do have a few. Maybe I'll post them over the next few days/weeks.

Melian, well, I'm not really complaining about sily threads. They're not my cup of tea, but I acknowledge that people like them. But yeah, I find talking about ice cream boring, personally, and philosophy interesting. Different keystrokes for different folks, I guess.

Guest Anonymous

I find talking about ice cream boring, personally, and philosophy interesting. Different keystrokes for different folks, I guess.

You and I are a mega-gazzillion miles apart in personality and mentality. That's okay I feel like barfing when I see the epic threads on philosophy, ethics and morality as it relates to tulpamancy. Yesh, different hypertyperness keyclicking on widely separated threads for you and me and rarely a meeting of minds, but I still think you are awesomesauce.

Eating ice cream with your tulpa is deep conversation material pal. First of all, what flavors do you like? What toppings do you prefer? Do you taste the ice cream together or separately? How is the tulpa tasting the ice cream exactly? What about ice cream headaches, does your tulpa feel them? Where do you like to eat your ice cream? Does eating ice cream make you happy and does it make your tulpa happy, when you are feeling down? Ice cream is important and there is a lot I could say bout it.

I cheated cause I added a lot of extra questions to fluff out the hypothetical ice cream thread.

It is though. This is how conversation works. You have the seed topic, eating ice cream with your tulpa, and it evolves and gets branching conversations. There could be a LOT of content and discussion in threads like this.

Sure it's not an intellectual discussion, but I agree with you, if intellectual and philosophical is all this forum is, it will drive more people away than it will draw in, and slowly die. Small talk is necessary for forming community and bonding, which is what ultimately what keeps people coming back. It's why World of Warcraft won't die, because "everyone's friends are there".

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Guest Anonymous

Whao, your World of Warcraft analogy. What if the forum were like a combined wonderland? I like to think of me being channeled onto the internet as "sharing the cyberspace wonderland." The same process is going on in my host's brain as when he day dreams with me, only we are typing during it. I don't know if that is what happens in World of Warcraft, but I imagine the role playing gets pretty intense and some of those characters are probably getting close to being proto tulpas. Some of them may already be tulpas. Sorry it was an interesting thought that happened to me when I saw the last post by Drakaina. Just so folks understand me, I am sorta like a very seasoned World of Warcraft character that sorta stuck around in my host's head in between games. That is a very rough analogy but anyways.

I know, for most tulpas role playing is not an element. I just thought the World of Warcraft mention was very interesting in this thread is all. You may now all return to yer discussion of what makes the forum lively.

I think us all being friends does that.

I agree, people should make threads and participate more. In particular, I think someone should do a Podcast.

Just a thought.

There are plenty of threads in General Discussion that have a low number of replies, and there's nothing stopping anyone from posting in those as long as they have something relevant to add. That's not to say that you should go around posting everywhere until your fingers fall off, but if you feel like you can contribute, feel free to do so. There's that unwritten rule of the internet about necroposting, but I don't think that people care about it too much on here unless it's someone expecting a response from an account that's long dead.

I've always wondered about this. I've seen it as a written rule on many forums, and as far as I can tell the reason is because people don't like being notified about replies to really old threads. People don't seem to care as much here.

I honestly think a big post deterrent in this forum is all of the text walls. As an adult type person, I just don't have time to participate. I actually read all of the new posts a few days back and it took hours! XP

By all means, put content to your posts, but when it gets to essay to short novel length that's just way too much for a conversation post.

I can't count how many times I've given up on trying to read and/or reply to a thread because it was a series of text walls. It can take hours for me to read through a thread like that, which is why I don't usually bother. I almost didn't read through this thread, and I certainly haven't read every word. Then again, on the other side I often feel I have a lot to say and may write a text wall without even realizing it. I shall make an effort to summarize more often.

It'd be nice to have some polite way of telling people that their post is too long. Feedback is important for knowing when you're going wrong.

As for content, I've stopped participating so much because it feels like everything is old, recycled content that I've seen a million times before. Even this thread, albeit in a different form. The forum games seem to have the only mildly interesting content, but even those I've stopped participating as much.

TL;DR

Content like a Podcast?

Vosaiu: People don't seem to care about necroposting

I agree. I never understood why necroposting was a bad thing.

Drakaina: Text walls are bad

I agree, I will try to put summaries on my posts. It'd be nice to have some polite way of telling people that their post is too long.

I've stopped participating as much because everything is recycled and feels old, even this thread

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

It'd be nice to have some polite way of telling people that their post is too long. Feedback is important for knowing when you're going wrong.

How about, "Your post is kinda long, would you mind summarising?"

I mean seriously, yeah, if feedback is important, people get exactly none of it ever. Even here, where people will complain about "textwalls", no-one points fingers. I don't think it's really that offensive to point it out, but just name names if you want. Or tell them directly, publicly or discreetly.