PETT - What is a tulpa?

Yuki

That's right, and I suppose that there's a million ways to define a tulpa, if you follow that line of thinking. It's always nice to imagine how others see the world, see their life with their tulpa. Do you think there's any advice that would help absolutely everyone? Do you think the ideal guide would have to be tailored to suit all kinds of people, that is, be so vast that there's parts that appeal to anyone?

I don't know if there is any universal advice to be found. Anything that could be said could also be contradictory or even detrimental for someone. A great example would be the "trust-every-thought-to-be-your-tulpa" I so often see. I understand the value behind this phrase and its importance in the development of a tulpa, but I've seen it go badly for some people, even myself. Suddenly an intrusive thought is actually communication from your tulpa, and that can be concerning. I think this is where the 'evil tulpas' come from; it's not that the host's tulpa suddenly turned evil, it's that they had an intrusive thought and believed it was their tulpa. I feel like this advice is good enough to give to people without that problem, though I wish there was a disclaimer included with it more often, something like "Hey, if your tulpa says or does something weird, consider this: It is probably an intrusive thought!" (If you're prone to those. I know I am. I've done everything and I still get them.)

I think the ideal guide would be tailored to everyone, but I also think that's just not possible, with so many different opinions. If I were to write a guide defining tulpas, though, I would just use this site's definition, since it's so straightforward, and most people agree with it. Vastness isn't good when it comes to guides; there's nothing worse than being vague and uncertain when it comes to them, if you ask me. If the guide itself cannot even decide on what a tulpa is, how is a newly-introduced person supposed to decide?

White text- Ash (the host!)

Red text- Quartz!

Purple text- Gamzee!

Blue text- Obsidian!

What is a tulpa? I say you have to look back at the people who've invented that word long before the internet ever existed before you can really define it, since you can't really just define it with what has been said on this website and all around the internet since tulpas have already been defined and created by again, people long before any of us. And the modern definition of tulpa (according to the internet) is nothing like the original definition of what a tulpa is. Especially since the original point of tulpas from what I understand was to realize it was just a hallucination, although a self imposed one. (According to Wikipedia, anyway, who says tulpas were described in a book called Magical Use of Thoughtforms) The one who believed their tulpa was a real entity was deemed a failure. That is (sometimes) the opposite case in the present. Everyone here has their own personal opinions on whether a tulpa is real or an illusion created by the mind. Everyone has their own personal experiences and beliefs for everything tulpa related. That's why I say the tulpa experience is unique to everyone that tries it.

Tulpas back then were used as a spiritual discipline, today people who come across the term create unseen companions within their own reality. And in my own personal experience, a tulpa is an illusion created by the mind, that with attention may or may not become it's own entity. So far my tulpa is just an illusion to me. Can she completely become her a separate entity? I absolutely think so, if I work on her a lot more. It may or may not be the same deal for everyone, like I said before, because everyone sees and experiences reality through their own individual eyes.

my PR

my art thread

tumblr tulpa log

my DA

White will talk in this color.

What interests me most about what you say is that you refer to a "general consciousness". I've seen people try to describe something like that more than once, and I think Lumi has a similar idea about consciousness. Why do you feel there is only one of those, a central consciousness? Can't tulpas have, say, another instance of that? Can't they have their own, separate experience from yours? People have certainly experienced the opposite, where tulpas are more separate than that, and seem to live continuous lives parallel to the host. I wonder what makes for the difference in experience between people. Do you ever observe your tulpa as acting independently without you being aware or around, for example, them telling you about something that happened while you weren't there, or you seeing them in the middle of doing something?

We don't have parallel lives like that, no. And there's no "me not being there". My tulpa is around a lot observing the outside world as it happens and thinking his own thoughts about it that he can communicate, which can be different from my own and things I didn't think of by myself. But there's no parallel processing in which we do completely separate things without paying attention to each other. It's just not possible. We still draw from the same subconscious and the same brain that can only pay attention to one thing.

This is a no for me. We're also completely incapable of parallel processing, as seen by the very depressing ball-game on Deviantart. But I don't see this as part of my beliefs - I as a person am really, really bad at "parallel processing." I don't even believe it exists anymore. As far as I can tell humans can only multitask, which is quickly and efficiently switching between tasks. Parallel processing, to me, would just be training yourself to multitask extremely well at, well, having two minds working at once. I can multitask just fine, but that is beyond me. I couldn't even learn to play piano because it required playing two different things at once.

I've seen no evidence that my tulpas have their own consciousness, but plenty that they can utilize "mine", or as many would call it, ours. I don't claim to "own" my consciousness as the default/original/host, I'm just most attached to it. But I don't attribute it to any specific identity, just our brain. So I consider myself a more developed (an entire lifetime is hard to catch up to as a tulpa) version of what I consider my tulpas, which effectively means I consider them equals. I don't suddenly gain the ability to think at the same time as my tulpas when I'm switched with one, we interact the same as always. Though my mindvoice is always completely clear and audible, like a very active tulpa's would be, whereas theirs aren't always so. But that's my fault.

It's an interesting phenomenon, and I wonder why you perceive things in that way, and others like my group have entirely different experiences. I don't think that self-imposed limitations like "I can't do parallel processing" are very useful, even as an empirical conclusion to past experiences. I think that many of these beliefs can be overturned and entirely overcome with the right meditation and potentially self-hypnosis. Maybe you should try getting into the latter? It's very interesting to try and give yourself beliefs opposing the ones you hold, if only to understand the opposing views better.

But here's a question for you: can someone other than the host create a tulpa? Specifically, someone recently asked me if I could hypnotize her to have a tulpa, and I think I could. But would it really be a tulpa?

I personally spent plenty of time in my mind, creating Sen, the other tulpa, and many other characters that are less developed and independent, as a form of personal world-building. Yes, it's possible, and it depends on how far you take things to say what you could consider it.

Hypnosis seems as valid an approach as any to create a tulpa, and is possibly one of the best ways, depending on the skill of the hypnotist and the intensity and duration of the "course". I'm thinking that if you take a few good long weeks to intensively hypnotize a subject and let them force and train alone for large amounts of time, it wouldn't be difficult to get them to achieve not just vocality, but imposition and other advanced goals without too much trouble.

I think the ideal guide would be tailored to everyone, but I also think that's just not possible, with so many different opinions. If I were to write a guide defining tulpas, though, I would just use this site's definition, since it's so straightforward, and most people agree with it. Vastness isn't good when it comes to guides; there's nothing worse than being vague and uncertain when it comes to them, if you ask me. If the guide itself cannot even decide on what a tulpa is, how is a newly-introduced person supposed to decide?

I suppose people will always have their specific situations and problems, but I'm sure we can at least lay a solid foundation for newcomers to start learning with. We can set a vague guideline for what a tulpa is, or perhaps explain some different kinds of thoughtforms in the guide.

Tulpas back then were used as a spiritual discipline, today people who come across the term create unseen companions within their own reality. And in my own personal experience, a tulpa is an illusion created by the mind, that with attention may or may not become it's own entity. So far my tulpa is just an illusion to me. Can she completely become her a separate entity? I absolutely think so, if I work on her a lot more. It may or may not be the same deal for everyone, like I said before, because everyone sees and experiences reality through their own individual eyes.

It takes time and effort to change your mental reality, save for events like revelations and sudden bursts of inspiration and progress, which don't happen often, for most. One book I would recommend you read on that, and I suppose I would recommend to everyone here, is Robert Anton Wilson's Prometheus Rising. In the first chapters, it tries to create a model for how the human mind creates beliefs and how it makes a reality through those beliefs, and there's also techniques on how to analyze your beliefs and change them. It's a fun read.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

We don't have parallel lives like that, no. And there's no "me not being there". My tulpa is around a lot observing the outside world as it happens and thinking his own thoughts about it that he can communicate, which can be different from my own and things I didn't think of by myself. But there's no parallel processing in which we do completely separate things without paying attention to each other. It's just not possible. We still draw from the same subconscious and the same brain that can only pay attention to one thing.

Everyone's experiences with tulpas differ, not everybody goes though the same things you do. It is possible for many tulpas to focus on entirely different tasks without the host's attention or assistance. If parallel processing to such an extent were impossible, switching would also be impossible, yet that has been done many times.

Are you sure it is impossible in your case? You can never be completely certain, and it is worth trying out more than once. If you tell yourself it's impossible, that may make it impossible since you are setting expectations for yourself and your tulpa. Until you raise your expectations for what you can do, it will seem like something that could never happen. Trust me, it is possible.