Aging

Nyx

Jack: I mostly want answers from other tulpas on this one, but hosts can speak for them if it's necessary.

How has your personality changed as you have aged? How has your consciousness changed? I'm not talking about during your initial creation. I'm talking about after you became more-or-less established. And more importantly, if you have changed your age dramatically within a short period of time, did your personality or sense of self change in any way?

This topic is a little weird for me because I remember having a sort of childhood that matched the length of a human child's, but when I decided to become an adult overnight, I felt...different. I didn't want to be my host's playmate anymore, and parts of my personality were grounded. I also had a greater sense of self, which allowed me to help my now "younger" host but also induced a short-lived existential crisis. I've made peace with it a long time ago, but I remember feeling highly confused about whether or not those difficult feelings were warranted, because my host was not quite at the age to start pondering on those thoughts herself. We're now much closer in age.

I'm aware that not every tulpa here is old enough to answer this, and for that, I'll add this bonus question: If you are a young tulpa, what do you hope to become by the time you are better established?

Progress report

Personal blog

Luna: Having grown up alongside my host, I can say that I've also matured along with him. It's impossible to say if that's because his brain has grown or I've just become more of an adult, though.

Elise: I used to have the form of a six-year old and now I have the form of a 12-year old. I didn't really change much personality-wise until I'd been around for a few years and became more mature mentally, and then I started rethinking things like sexuality that I didn't want to associate myself with at first.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

I don't think I'm old enough to answer your original question, but in the future I hope to become more of a guidepost to my host's development. He's still very young, and may possibly do some stupid things in the future. Despite my efforts, I can still be very childish, so I hope to become more mature to help him out. Other than that, I can't think of anything else right now.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.

Solaria: Sorry for the slow posting.

My personality has always had the same core aspects, but I grew up and evolved over the years just like any other person does when they grow.

I've definitely become more complex, have my own way with words, my own humor and interests.

Lucilyn: I haven't changed at all, I think? I got more and more sure of myself. Lumi kinda knew what he was doing when he made me though, like four years after the others. As for them, they've definitely changed over time. I mean, Flandre and Scarlet used to be the same person?? I think.. Reisen got a little less angelic and a little more caring-mother-y, or caring wife-y... She's human-er now. She used to be unable to speak because Lumi considered her perfect. And then Tewi and Flandre convinced him to let her be imperfect, and she's just sort of been her since then. I don't know if she changed so much honestly. Flandre seems a little down the last year or so, but I think she's more solid in her identity than she was in the past. Tewi's weird, she's always been different than how our host seemed to think of her? Like, he thinks she's silly but she's always been kinda serious. And I think that expectation rubbed off on her over time, so she's lightened up. I'd call it growing. Uhhhh. They all have changed over the years a little. Scarlet sort of.. became a completely different person after being gone for a year. I'm the same! There's no reason to change.

Of course, our host has changed more than any of us have.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Just like anyone else, time passing resulted in more experiences and more lessons to be learned, and I'm pretty sure I'm a lot more mature now than I used to be two years ago. I think if you don't change over time something's wrong, as you're either not learning from your experiences or not making enough of them to learn.

I also feel like tulpas become more and more of a person over time. I think most tulpas (especially the early speakers) aren't as independent initially as many of the hosts would like to think. This, of course, is only based on my own personal experience and those of some other slightly older tulpas that I've spoken with or read about, but it makes sense to me. It sounds strange to me for a newly created person to have any depth to them. You need a history of experiences for that to be able to develop.

So, no, I don't think changing your form will change your maturity, though it may change how you feel about your maturity, and your behavior can change based on that. But I do certainly think that actually aging (you know, through actual physical time and experiences) will help anyone develop and grow more mature.