Let's Discuss Video Games

Brassow

We watched SomeCallMeJohnny's review of it; trying to bring gaming history a bit closer to Rina... she knows a bit of it, but still, not too much.

Good taste, bro.

Anyone here play Splatoon?

"It's all about synthesis, you don't have to be a real musician. You just synthesize your own reality, synthesize your own talents." -Klayton

My Three Mind Horses

Haven: Tulpa #1

Created on 10-28-14

Aphelion: Tulpa #2

Created on 2-25-15 

Chimera: Self Proclaimed Thoughtform

Created on: Can't remember. Sometime around Easter of 2017.

Warning: I am a huge nerd.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite game is Victoria II, though my favorite series is Zelda.

Can't wait for the new one to come out!

EDIT - I should also note I love WoW, Elder Scrolls, Pokemon, GTA and a very large number of other games/series. That, and tabletop RPGs!

Me: Hey, say something for this thread!

Koharu: Yay, cupcakes!

mfw there are no cupcakes. Sentience? Yes. Brilliance? Ehh...

Guest Anonymous

All time favourites: Homeworld (1&2), Okami, Freespace (1&2), Dark Souls.

Currently playing: Dota and Guns of Icarus.

The amount of time I spent playing vidiya could've been used to build a ladder to the moon... Out of toothpicks.

I've recently been spending much of my video game related time with platform games, mainly with Sonic the Hedgehog (The first one, and it's various hacks), and more recently Dustforce, with a little Gianna Sisters on the side.

I've been playing the classic Sonics for a good deal of time, in hopes of understanding them, and applying what I've learned to my own possible game design ideas. Despite being simple to play, they're huge monstrosities in regards to how their mechanics and level design work. They also have a strange fragility to them. It seems pretty easy to make a level that hinders the titular character's abilities. As well, it's easy to misunderstand said character's abilities. Yes, Sonic is fast, but he can also jump absurdly high and far, especially when going off of a ramp or hill. In addition to him having an attack that allows him to keep momentum.

Dustforce is a different sort of platformer, feeling much heavier, and having gameplay that reminds me more of Megaman X crossed with Smash Bros. But, one thing I could not help but notice was that as soon as I started playing Dustforce, I recognized I was using a similar mindset and playstyle I'd use when I try to improve my times in Sonic. Dustforce is very much a game that appeals to speedrunners, as well as folks who don't mind punishing gameplay. It's a difficult game to be sure, though its theme, music, and general atmosphere tried to be as relaxed and calming as possible. It demands solid execution skills from it's players, and can get very nasty in some of its later levels. But, I also feel that the game, while difficult, does a good job of guiding the player in to understanding and mastering it's mechanics. The Nexus requires the player to know how to use the mechanics to even get to the actual levels, which I really find neat.

Those are two games I really wanted to talk about most now. I've been dabbling in the Android port of the Gianna Sisters after watching a video on the history of that franchise. I think it's a rather interesting game, but unfortunately, the port is rather buggy.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

To be honest, I was never really a big fan of platforms, with exceptions being Mario and This War of Mine. I don't think platform just gives enough eye-candy for me. That's why I remain around open world and FPS games, I like the pretty scenery. Sonic doesn't quite have that for me.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

Guest Anonymous

I like the pretty scenery. Sonic doesn't quite have that for me.

Never played Sonic Generations, huh?

(Especially some stuff around the middle of the video is amazing. Seriously, especially on PC, that game is... blarghbvefivlrbvruibvlrv beautiful.)

Greets,

AG

Guest Anonymous

Freedom Planet's neat, yeah!

Though the story, and its mood - it's all over the place, from funny to serious to outright "woah, what the". xD

Greets,

AG