Let's Discuss Video Games

Brassow

Guest Anonymous

I had a Skype conversation earlier...

... it was pretty interesting.

So I want to discuss it here as well!

Alright then... it's about the subject of "Are MMO subscription fees justified?".

I mean - I can play Skyrim for a few hundred hours, and I paid 50 bucks.

Or I can play a sub-MMO for a few hundred hours - but because I did it over a period of about eight months, I paid about 120 freakin' bucks for that sh*t.

"How does that make sense!?"

... is what I would say, but I'm not so sure what to think.

After all, I stated time and time again that I stand by "1.00 € per two hours of genuine entertainment".

Meaning a game has to offer me half its purchase price in hours, and actually fun hours, counting in replay value as well (so, if the game is fun for ten playthroughs, then it can be really short as well).

I believe this is a fair line to draw.

Here's the twist though: MMOs offer hundreds of hours of playtime... right?

So as long as one plays around eight hours a month in a 14.99 € / month sub-MMO, that logic is intact! Hooray!

... but then I look back on games like Skyrim or Fallout, which offered me hundreds of enjoyable hours as well (and continue to do so to this day, actually), at the price of just one regular game.

So I'm not sure what I think about it.

What do you people think?

More hours of entertainment are worth more money, but is there simply an upper limit to what you'd be willing to pay in total for a game for you?

Greets,

AG

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Skype conversation earlier...

... it was pretty interesting.

So I want to discuss it here as well!

Alright then... it's about the subject of "Are MMO subscription fees justified?".

I mean - I can play Skyrim for a few hundred hours, and I paid 50 bucks.

Or I can play a sub-MMO for a few hundred hours - but because I did it over a period of about eight months, I paid about 120 freakin' bucks for that sh*t.

"How does that make sense!?"

... is what I would say, but I'm not so sure what to think.

After all, I stated time and time again that I stand by "1.00 € per two hours of genuine entertainment".

Meaning a game has to offer me half its purchase price in hours, and actually fun hours, counting in replay value as well (so, if the game is fun for ten playthroughs, then it can be really short as well).

I believe this is a fair line to draw.

Here's the twist though: MMOs offer hundreds of hours of playtime... right?

So as long as one plays around eight hours a month in a 14.99 € / month sub-MMO, that logic is intact! Hooray!

... but then I look back on games like Skyrim or Fallout, which offered me hundreds of enjoyable hours as well (and continue to do so to this day, actually), at the price of just one regular game.

So I'm not sure what I think about it.

More hours of entertainment are worth more money, but is there simply an upper limit to what you'd be willing to pay in total for a game for you?

Greets,

AG

It depends on the game for me, really. If the game in question is anything like Fallout... I don't know. I might just be willing to spend my money without ever considering an upper limit. But honestly, that is mainly because I have an emotional bond with the Fallout series. Mainly because my whole childhood went through with Fallout 1&2 and it inspired me to the point of creating a series of booklets (while I was still a brat) that included my thoughts/ideas about its universe, which then turned into a series of stories, but I digress. My point still stands though. If any other game manages to have the same affect on me, I don't think I'm going to be upset about an upper limit, be it a sub-MMO or not.

I'm SomethingDire, and Céleste is my partner in crime.

Long post.

It really depends on the MMO, and MMOs without a real justificiation for it tend to get rid of it real quick, since nobody is willing to pay for it nowadays. One big example for a justified monthly fee is Final Fantasy XIV, since they keep delivering free content all the time, like every two months or something like that. The base game is pretty cheap, and the first addon you need to buy after two whole years isn't too expensive either. You surely won't find this much quality and effort put into every MMO.

Personally I prefer simple play once to pay MMOs like Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online (which is still pretty expensive), since a lot of the real free to play titles either end up as pay to win or a very castrated version, where you can't even get rid of your helm without paying for it.

Also in point of justification: When you play Games like Skyrim or Fallout you don't need to keep servers running, which needs to be paid aswell or the game shuts down.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

Guest Anonymous

Words

I too prefer "take my money, and now leave me alone".

Like you said, Guild Wars 2 does this exactly the way I want it... only that I find the game itself sort of bland. xP

And about this...

Also in point of justification: When you play Games like Skyrim or Fallout you don't need to keep servers running, which needs to be paid aswell or the game shuts down.

... there is a simple counterargument to be made: How the quality of a product is achieved is of no concern to the customer, only the quality itself is; if a company decided to sell turds that are polished to perfection by means of a highly complicated procedure that costs thousands per individual turd...

... then that's still just a shiny turd, and no one will give you money for it. xP

Greets,

AG

Alright, here's MY version of things. $1=1 Hour of Fun. This should be applied to any game you want to buy. Sales on Steam make this guesswork even easier. For example, I bought Wolfenstein:The New Order on sale for $9, and got 11 hours of fun out of it (Bush did 9/11). I might pick it up again later, but it's lived up to its quota. A game that I most likely wouldn't pick up because of this logic is the full version of Star Wars Battlefront. That's over $100, and I don't think I would be playing that so often.

If you wanna follow this code, it's all about Replayability. Which do you think you're gonna play more times? Counter Strike, or Fnaf? Octodad or Skyrim? It's all a matter of preference, but choose the one you're more likely to play and have fun with in the long term scheme of things.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

I just bought Undertale... and I need to say... I'm quite surprised. It's a pretty nice game, with a very funny tone if you play through a pacifist playthrough (meaning you don't kill anyone)

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

I can't really say my favorite game, although my favorite series of games is the Tales Of series, I'm an absolute sucker for them. If we are talking about the enjoyment we got from them then Battlefront 2 is my pick.

I just bought Undertale... and I need to say... I'm quite surprised. It's a pretty nice game, with a very funny tone if you play through a pacifist playthrough (meaning you don't kill anyone)

Yeah Undertale is a charming game, I like it as long as I don't think of the community surrounding it. Its good for light hearted laughs here and there but for an extremely story driven game, the story is a bit meh.

I'll Vouch for undertale's quality, but it's hard to talk about that game without

A) Overselling it

or

B) Spoiling it rotten

so get it if you want, it's like ten dollars and you get a lot of bang for your buck. just try to go into it with low expectations, the game was made to surprise you

that being said, as for games I can talk about

uhh

I'm likely gonna buy DMC4 for a third time so yay?

i am forever banned from drinking orange juice because my tulpa hates it with a burning passion

Undertale is most likely the best indie game of last year, if you didn't buy it in the last Steam sale, shame on you! Its soundtrack is a bundle of joy, let alone the game itself.

I'm likely gonna buy DMC4 for a third time so yay?

DMC4? The Special Edition or regular?

An interesting little game that I picked up recently is called Downwell. It's a rougelike platformer that vertically scrolls - it makes sense, the objective is to reach the bottom of the well. There are five different styles of play to choose from, and each one offers something else (like an effect that makes the character "floaty" or one that only lets you pick up weapons). Each level has a gimmick and the enemies there follow those rules. This means that you have to understand the game well, so it's very reliant on skill.

I sort of feel like my explanation here was spotty. I made a video a few days ago to show some friends how the game looked (the quality is terribly, enjoy), so hopefully it does better than I did.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7DtSLEfa8w