Mistgod Babble Thread

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The discussion below helped me to understand that tulpas are indeed sentient.  

----------

I love getting the attention of Tulpa Town for fun philosophical debate (I miss Linkzelda).  Okay.  My thoughtform Melian gets upset when I say she is make believe.  What is ironic is she is fine with me saying she is not real but pseudo-real instead or saying that she is imaginary.  But she hates it when I say she is make believe because it makes her sound like a toy or a doll or a game she says.  

But she is make believe. (sorry Melian)  She is not a toy or a game though.  She is very important and special and I love her.  

Anyway.  We create tulpas using visualization and narration right?  We MAKE them.  In order for them to become apparently sentient, we have to really BELIEVE in them.  

That is make and then believe.  Children have done it for thousands of years.  They are naturals at it.  Now don't tell me my imaginary friends didn't talk to me when I was a kid, because they sure as hell did and I remember it.  It is family legend in fact.  That is how I got the nick names "Drifty Dave" and "Talks to Trees."  

So.  I say this: Tulpas are make believe.  Can someone prove that to be an incorrect statement?  If they are make believe, can they be real at the same time?  Are make believe and real mutually exclusive?  

Keep in mind, before you respond, that this is a scientific discussion forum on the phenomenon of tulpas created in the mind.

EDIT (9/7/2016):  Please note that this is a very old thread and I have since learned a lot more about tulpas and tulpamancers.  I still think belief and imagination are important elements of tulpamancy practice, but I wouldn't use the same terminology or approach in describing them.  This was way too much of a simplification.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I knew this would happen again :D Melian is gonna kick your butt again in the end, i'm pretty sure about that. Well I already posted my thoughts on that in the other thread, so i will leave this one alone for now.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

Guest Anonymous

He is cruising for a bruising no doubt. He loves to do this to you guys though. I know what he means, but others don't. When he says tulpas are make believe, he doesn't mean they are a game, but it is taken that way. That is my problem with that. Make believe means baby stuff or kid's stuff.

I am I'm full stride with you mistgod. They are imaginary and are created by the mind.

What really shoots my gun is how the mind makes them FEEL real. I have yet to make a tulpa, but what I've gathered from the information and evidence already here intrigues the crap outta me.

How doea this work within the brain? What is going on in there? and if i may throw this out there, If we can really make people within our minds, aren't we a god in some way whether we think of ourselves that way or not?

Yours truly,

God

holy hell mistgod, i was expecting to be able to just roll my eyes and close the tab but fuckin no, now i'm commenting because of your stupid frikken title. XD excuse my exaggerated irritation

since i'm here i guess, i suppose i agree with you here. can't say whether they're "fake or real", but i know they're a thing no matter if they're actual spiritual beings or simply machinations of our own mind. incredibly helpful and fun too, so "make believe" or not, i still like them.

"The number of minds in the universe is one."

- Erwin Schrodinger

Kovie, they or she. 7yo, mentally 19. active.

Vyx, they or he. 7yo, mentally 17. active.

Axen, they or he. age unknown, mentally 26. occasionally active.

Sanu, any pronouns. 5yo, mentally ageless. mostly inactive.

Leo, he/him. 6yo, mentally 21. inactive.

Guest Anonymous

I am I'm full stride with you mistgod. They are imaginary and are created by the mind.

What really shoots my gun is how the mind makes them FEEL real. I have yet to make a tulpa, but what I've gathered from the information and evidence already here intrigues the crap outta me.

Me too, obviously.

How doea this work within the brain? What is going on in there?

Those are the questions we should be asking!

and if i may throw this out there, If we can really make people within our minds, aren't we a god in some way whether we think of ourselves that way or not?

Yeah that's deep. LOL

The question of sentience, in my opinion, is the absolutely central major problem point to tulpamancy. People hate that I keep bringing it up. But that is because they want me to throw up my hands and just accept it. I have said many times that placing emphasis on sentience as an assumption in the central theme of the form was a mistake. It turned tulpamancy from a soft science to a proto-religious pseudo science. That is because sentience of a tulpa cannot be proven by an empirical test or measurement.

Now tulpamancy as the psychology of make believe is much more interesting to me. It has connections to Jungian psychology for one thing. We know that people can have visions and hallucinations and delusions and that they can be hypnotized. So there is something to be discussed. The question of sentience is just philosophy debates that go in circles, not science.

Everytime someone says their tulpa is real, and ties that to science in any way, it makes me cringe.

[sounds more like Mistgod just looking for a fight because the latest sentience poll went against his wishes.]

Early member of a large system.  Our system questions the way the afterlife and tulpamancy interact.  We genuinely suspect that deadies can return to share the mind of the living.

Guest Anonymous

"make believe" or not, i still like them.

Wait. Are you agreeing that tulpas are indeed make believe then? LOL And if they are make believe, can tulpas be make believe and real at the same time?

[sounds more like Mistgod just looking for a fight because the latest sentience poll went against his wishes.]

That poll went exactly as I expected it would. :-) But, yes, I am having fun with this. I am not looking for a fight. I am trying to stir some thought and get people to come up with some new angles for me. Every time I do one of these I learn something and others tell me they learn something, just in the process of batting it all back and forth.

Discussion forum. SCIENTIFIC discussion forum means ... discussion. Besides, it is fun and challenges my brain.

So far no one is disagreeing, so I might as well play devil's advocate.

A tulpa could be considered artificial and just the mind playing tricks, but what about their ability to learn and, in some cases, recall forgotten memories, or aid their host in ways other artificial thoughtforms could not?

Guest Anonymous

Well, Esterina started existing without me noticing it, so I at least didn't "actively" make her (though probably still unconsciously... I suppose).

And she still merrily goes on with whatever she does when I'm not paying attention, or even when I'm sleeping.

So it seems she's just fine without my belief in her (though I think me not believing in her would probably make her really sad).

Hell, she existed and was sentient before I even knew that the voice in the back of my head was anything more than meaningless imagination, so that's not up for debate to begin with.

On this one I'd just like confirmation from Rina herself, though.

That's true. I can keep existing, or being active, whether Felix pays attention to me or not.

Was that a bit of snark right there?

Maybe. I don't like the term active. I'm not a radio or TV.

So there ya go.

I mean - it's not a question of belief for me in the first place. She's there, and I can see and hear that she's there just like I can see and hear that my budgies are there when I turn around to look at their cage (or when they're loud enough to bring down a satellite with mere sound waves again).

That doesn't have much to do with belief, at least as long as you exclude a comedic "I can't believe my eyes!".

She's thus not make believe!

She's... uhm... make? Yeah, she's make! Doesn't everyone wanna be make?

That doesn't even make any sense.

It does, you're just not smart enough to understand my genius.

On a serious note, and to bring my own statements and arguments to a conclusion:

For me, it was never a thing of belief. It was a thing of acceptance.

Do I accept that this person that talks to me is real?

Do I accept it when she stands over by the fridge in the kitchen while I make some food, nodding her foot along to the music we're listening to?

Do I accept it when she tells me what she does in our wonderland, when I'm not around?

So, yeah.

That's my two cents.

Greets,

AG & Rina