Sock

Educational resource and general self-improvment thread

This is something that came to mind recently, and since I like sharing informational links and such, I wanted to throw this concept out there.

Self improvement has been a theme for me concerning this exercise for a while, and I've seen the occasional mention of this sentiment every so often. While I've heard many accounts about how having a brain buddy helped with one's personal growth, I rarely hear about the other tools said people used, or the techniques they used, daily rituals, etc. So, for those who are interested in it, I wanted to make a thread to not only share links to educational sites, but for sharing personal techniques and rituals for improving one's person in various fields, may it be mentally, or physically.

Any subject matter is welcome in this thread, may it be math, science, literature, philosophy, engineering, computer science, illustration, physical exercise, etc.

I'll beging with listing some links I found useful for my own purposes.

Khan Academy - Kind of a no brainer for a thread like this, I presume. This is one of the larger general education sites, and one of the earlier sites I stumbled upon when I began flirting with the idea of relearning things from my youth. I've found it pretty useful for covering things I forgot, and for things I didn't really know much about. Especially regarding math.

Academic Earth - This is another rather big general education site, this one having a set of free college courses available.

tecmath - This is a YouTube channel that I found useful. One of the subject that I was most interested in getting better at was math, mainly getting a grip on doing mental arithmetic, which I found to be a big time weakness. This site has a fair deal of useful tricks for that purpose, so I popped it up here.

Fitness Blender - This is a free exercise video site, run by a clearly fit couple. I ran in to this site when I was doing a ton of exercise. I was doing the INSANITY program, and have even gone through the entire video set, but wanted to find and exercise routine that didn't always leave me so exhausted that I didn't want to do anything else for the rest of the day. Not to say this site doesn't have its share of tough exercises, they do, but it's a bit more pleasent of a run.

Jupiter Broadcasting - This one isn't strictly educational, but it's one of the things that softened the fall of jumping in to the Linux world. I like listening to people who are passionate about a subject when trying to learn about it, and these guys are surely passionate. The show's I've beeen listening to the most are Linux Unplugged, and Coder Radio.

LinuxCommand.org - This is another site I've been using, or more accurately, I've been using the book this site's writer made on the Linux Command line. Since I downloaded and installed Ubuntu, I've been trying to use the command line more, and this site's book has been a big boon to me here.

Eli the Computer Guy - This is another YouTube channel, though it's more tech related. It's another one of the resources I used when I began to make an active effort to be more tech literate. The speaker also has some very nice general advice that I greatly enjoyed, as well.

These are a few of the sites I use for educational purposes. I have a large set of art resources that's in a thread in the Tulpa Art section. My hope here is that not only will the above links serve those who use them well, but that others will share stuff that's helped them get a better footing in their life.

Peace.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

Great thread and links. Of those you posted I only knew of Khan Academy, which is helping me learning some much needed math. I self-study practically all my spare time. I love learning and I find that autodidacticism is a journey even more interesting than formal education. Me and my Tulpa have always been fascinated with the nature of consciousness and reality; we’ve also been studying together and had many entertaining debates over the years. I would love if this forum started to have more academically oriented discussions.

I’ll share some of my favorite links.

EdX and Coursera: these are absolutely amazing sites. They host hundreds of lectures from the best colleges of the world, such as Harvard, Cambridge and MIT. You can find courses on practically every subject. Since we have Tulpas it might be beneficial to view topics on consciousness, neuroscience, psychology, and Artificial Intelligence. There’s enough material to study for years.

I also use Library Genesis to download academic textbooks that I need. Their selection is very extensive and free.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

[progress report]

For languages, I find the site Duolingo to be a wonderful (and free) site/app. My fiancée recently found it and has began learning Italian at a fairly good rate for about three weeks now while I have moved to trying to learn Esperanto.

Me: Hey, say something for this thread!

Koharu: Yay, cupcakes!

mfw there are no cupcakes. Sentience? Yes. Brilliance? Ehh...

Great thread and links. Of those you posted I only knew of Khan Academy, which is helping me learning some much needed math. I self-study practically all my spare time. I love learning and I find that autodidacticism is a journey even more interesting than formal education. Me and my Tulpa have always been fascinated with the nature of consciousness and reality; we’ve also been studying together and had many entertaining debates over the years. I would love if this forum started to have more academically oriented discussions.

I can certainly agree, I was surprised how eager I was to learn things when I started doing this stuff on my own, rather than the traditional method of sitting in class. It's likely a simple matter of being able to pick subjects that interest me to learn, rather than needing to be pushed through the whole set of curriculum.

Funnily enough, one of the things that sparked me to try and expand my self-educating efforts was wanting to design a game, and reading through the blog of one Lewis Pulsipher. He didn't speak of game making as simply an art of pleasure, but insisted on it being an exercise in patience, critical thinking, and dedication. I wanted to learn more skills to help with my project, so I expanded my already going education efforts with some gusto. It's actually an interesting subject, especially when on considers non-video game design.

I was already studying art, and I had it in my mind to use that skill more to expand my other skills, though I haven't done as much to do that. Even so, I've been increasing my efforts in that to understand it's significance to me.

Peace.

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

The No Excuse List has a load of links like these. Meta I guess. Also for ebooks, there's a custom search engine here that searches libgen, bookfi, and a load of other places. For what it's worth, libgen is 'free' but not free like archive.org is; a lot of the texts on there are copyright infringed. The actual hub of libgen is here, which has links to a lot of mirror sites. Because of the super sneaky illegality, some of the mirror sites get taken down or blocked by ISPs (if you're in a country like the UK) from time to time.

TheCrawlingCreepyPasta already posted a link to their channel, but I highly recommend watching their crash course on psychology. If you're interested in the nature of tulpas, it's good to have some basic knowledge on human psychology at the very least.

I've only watched a few of their videos, but it looks like it's pretty accurate, based on what I learned in my "introduction to psychology" class in college.

I have 10 tulpas, but I'm only actively working on Reah, my first tulpa currently.

Progress Report

Yay a topic to which I can contribute :D I'm always watching videos about science on youtube so I got a few channels you might like:

TEd-Ed: Some slow-paced lessons about almost everything, from logic puzzles to literature

MinuteEarth: Good animated videos, mostly about climate change and biology

In a Nutshell – Kurzgesagt: Don't worry it's english and shows simple explanaitons about various social and scientific problems (my favorite channel)

And of course Scishow, similar to crashcourse but rather community questions explained than courses.

Sorry I'm too dumb to include links but it's just a short youtube search away. Thanks for the interesting links all!

I went to LibriVox a few days back in search of some useful books on Memory, and I ran in to this:

Memory: How to Develop, Train, & Use it

I've been listening through it, andit looks to have some useful information and structure about improving memory if you feel deficient in it. As such, I'm posting it here.

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

Audiobook: The Art of Controversy (or: The Art of Being Right) By - Arthur Schopenhauer

This is a neat little guidebook on dealing with disputes, and how to gain the upper hand, or how to recognize different techniques others use and evade them. Or in my case, another reason to avoid arguments altogether. It also has some nice extras after the discourse dialectic techniques, my favorite being his thoughts on "interest" and "beauty" in art.

Android App: Math Tricks

A nifty little arithmetic trail for those who wish to improve their mental math skills. It's pretty extensive at this point, with many sorts of mental math exercises, descriptions of various tricks, and bells and whistles like music playing during a session, and the volume decreasing as you run out of time to work. I quite like it.

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace