Wanting to create a character from a game?

How can you be sure it isn't some flash in the pan obsession you'll be bored with in a month or two? Even then, basing a tulpa on a character means your tulpa is inextricably attached to your mental image of that character, in a sort of platonic ideal sort of way. Obviously don't make your tulpa think it is the character in question due to potential identity crisis things, but if you don't, still don't expect it all to be hunky-dory.

Maybe I'm just biased because of my own personal experiences with temporary unhealthy obsessions, but the way you're typing this really makes me want to flat out say "don't do it." But you're you, do what you want, and things will happen how they will happen.

Hehh.. heheh.. this is, actually really funny.. like I'm kinda embarrassed now because, I have a Sans tulpa. Well, really he was more of a soulbond, which is when a mostly or fully developed thoughtform simply appears that is heavily based on an already existing character, with little or no effort from the host. So my Sans came around pretty much on accident, but has so far been incredibly helpful so I am less worried about what people on here will think of me having a tulpa of a fictional character, because he is well worth it.

I'm not gonna put the effort into reading everyone else's responses to see if they've already said this, partially because myself already having a Sans standing here beside me with a smug grin, I figured I might have particularly good insight into this topic.

Basically, I wouldn't make your tulpa specifically to be a fictional character, just let them develop as themselves. If you show them the idea you'd like them to be later on when they're sentient and at least a bit vocal, and if they like it too maybe they'll adopt the form and character, but do not- please /do not/ force it on them. I don't think you will though, you seem to understand the concept of tulpa being sentient and more than just machinations of our mind. You'd probably be a pretty decent host.

So let me just say, if your tulpa agrees with it and wants to adopt Sans' form and character, then I say you should go ahead and do it. Fictional characters are seriously some of the best role models and friends I've ever known, so you shouldn't feel ashamed for wanting to have them around. I can't tell you how many people I know that I think would be doing better in their lives if they had a tulpa based off their favorite fictional character, they can be wonderfully helpful if you do it right so, basically.. go ahead, as a host of a Sans' tulpa I can verify, it'd probably be worth it. X3

Heya :) reading yours and everyone elses responses, I was thinking what id simply do is keep the original sketch i have as what their going to look like at first, and when their vocal and sentient I'll present it as a idea to them like you suggested. This way they can grow as an individual and take on his form eventually if they like it. I loved your response by the way! Give Sans my thanks as well!

Host: Jade

Tulpa: Star

"Nature does not recognize good and evil. It only recognizes balance and imbalance." -Walter Bishop, Fringe

What happens when you eventually grow to dislike Undertale? What will become of the poor Sans tulpa? Will he be having a bad time? What I'm pretty much saying is your thoughts of what he's based off can influence how you think of your tulpa.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

To be fair, my tulpas are completely unattached to my interests in Touhou. I don't even really associate things the characters do with my tulpas' personalities anymore, because everyone in Gensokyo is so rude to each other. I still like them, but they've got nothing to do with liking my tulpas. It's like any other person you grow to like - you stop seeing them superficially and grow to love everything about them. Your parents, siblings, significant other(probably?), over time you stop seeing them as what they look like and more for what they are. Same with tulpas, assuming you have a healthy relationship. Form matters relatively little as far as "getting bored of it" goes.

Then again, I'm still a sucker for bunny ears.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Hehh.. heheh.. this is, actually really funny.. like I'm kinda embarrassed now because, I have a Sans tulpa. Well, really he was more of a soulbond, which is when a mostly or fully developed thoughtform simply appears that is heavily based on an already existing character, with little or no effort from the host. So my Sans came around pretty much on accident, but has so far been incredibly helpful so I am less worried about what people on here will think of me having a tulpa of a fictional character, because he is well worth it.

Quoting because it relates to what I want to say.

I had a pretty similar situation with Gamzee. He appeared as a soulbond that became a tulpa over time. Though he still retains many traits from his base character, he's not him, and we both know that. He's never, in his almost three years of existence, had an identity crisis over being based on a fictional character. However, just because it's not an issue for some tulpas (like mine and Koyvx's) doesn't mean you shouldn't be wary of it.

White text- Ash (the host!)

Red text- Quartz!

Purple text- Gamzee!

Blue text- Obsidian!

• 1 month later...

The way I see it, creating a tulpa as a carbon copy of anyone else, real of fictional is a terrible thing to impose on any sentient being. However, wanting your tulpa to show characteristics, personality traits, and even physical resemblance of the character is a perfectly normal thing. We do it to ourselves when we wish we were like someone else. The important thing to remember is the your tulpa is not that character.