evilwu

Guest Anonymous

You're the weird uncle who isn't allowed at family meetings anymore :P

Melian and I will just step outside then. LOL

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate all your guys concerns and pointers, I really do. You all have helped me so far and I greatly appreciate it.

As for another question, when and why did you guys create your tulpa(s)? If I may ask

[Tri] We have a few thoughts on the topics at hand. We are tulpas by the way, specifically natural tulpas that were not made intentionally (we were daydream characters who steadily came to life without that being the intention). Why the "we", well, we are technically three tulpas who do most things together and share a single form.

The main thing is, you really need to ask yourself if you truly understand what it is to share a life cooperatively with one or more tulpas. We say "one or more" because once you have one, it is easier to get new ones accidentally or your tulpa might decide to make more. This involves working hard helping young tulpa/s develop, a lot of work maintaining your relationship with them (whether friend, sibling, etc. in nature), etc. for decades. They will have needs and wants just like you, and they may or may not be the same. There might have to be compromises. For example, if one or more of your tulpas end up controlling your shared body regularly, they might have different living, career, romantic, etc. preferences than you do and you will all have to decide what path is most optimum for the group of you. They may develop their own separate group of friends from you and/or have very different relationships to your friends than you do. They will have their own strengths and flaws. Some might bleed over, some might now (to take an example, our depression sometimes bleeds over into our host Hail, while her anxiety sometimes bleeds over into us). You all might disagree on almost everything, or you might agree on most things except a few very specific things. If they control your shared body at all, there will be group responsibility because what one of you does most definitely can affect the others big time.

If these make sense to you and you can come up with a few things we forgot to mention and you have thought about this a bit, then we think you are informed enough to make a tulpa.

Overall, having a tulpa can be very rewarding. But it is a lot of work and is a major life change that is just not compatible with some people.

>5/15 friends have DID

No they don't. It's one of the rarest mental illnesses out there. Even then, multiplicity is only given the label DID if the person is, and I quote, "distressed by the disorder or have trouble functioning in one or more major life areas because of the disorder." Plus, they need total amnesia about the events while other identities are in place.

Without clumping (as in, becoming friends with someone who has DID and then them introducing one to their other friends found by various means, say online, with it) of some sort, it is certainly unlikely as you say. Now, if some of them just have OSDD/DDNOS and the OP made an error in saying they all had DID, then it would be a bit more likely. If we remember correctly, the literature (DSM-V and ISST-D) say it has a prevalence rate of about 1%, though that includes both mild and extreme disorder (mild being more common). So it is pretty rare.

OP, we do think it would be useful to ask your friends what their thoughts are. They can probably tell you a lot about what it is like to live with other people in one's head, though their experiences would differ in many ways from the typical tulpamancer. For example, it is rare for tulpamancers to have the sort of amnesia when switching that people with DID do.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

Guest Anonymous

Melian was an accidental tulpa that appeared to me when I was 13 years old and developed autonomy over a period of about four years. She is almost 39 years old now. :-) Here is her story in detail on deviantart if you ever are curious http://melianofmist.deviantart.com/art/The-Book-of-Melian-509605338

I should clarify the 39 years. Really that might be a bit of an exaggeration. I was 13, so that would make her only 37. If you count years since she became autonomous it is closer to 35 maybe. :-) Soon to be 36. I just like her being almost four decades old.

I was 15 when I started making a tulpa. I'm 18 now. I don't regret the decision, but I definitely think waiting would have been the smarter thing to do. As Mistgod said, the human brain is still developing at that age, even at 18. Even if you are mature for your age, you will change as you get older. It's subtle, but you'll probably be a slightly different person from who you are now, which could be your point-of-view or mindset on life.

Hell, people's brains aren't done developing until they're 25 or so, but then again after that point the brain is probably less elastic. There's probably a "sweet spot" of sorts that is after the "dumb kid" phase but before the brain's elasticity fades away that would be the best or easiest time to make a tulpa. Not that older people can't make tulpas, but it might be more difficult. Not that we have any concrete data about this. It would be neat to see an actual study on this.

Oh no, I use her. LOL Or at least I amuse myself by puppeting her form anyway. Melian does it with me sometimes, collaborating on the day dream, or reacts, but I am definitely manipulating her form for my own entertainment quite often. It is our own personal form of tulpamancy that is so wrong according to tulpamancy ethics. But we have been doing it for decades.

Having fun and playing with her is different from using her for fun. To put it in morbid terms, it's like sex versus rape.

As for another question, when and why did you guys create your tulpa(s)? If I may ask

Lots of people make them for lots of different reasons: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-reason-for-creating-a-tulpa & http://census.headmates.net/census-2015-part-1.html

Here's something I typed up recently:

Introspection/self-understanding, sort of like the original Buddhist monks' tulpas, having someone there to help improve myself, looking into what sort of deeper connection to one's mind (memory recall especially) a tulpa can have, and I'll admit that companionship is a plus, but the sort of companionship a tulpa can have with its host is very different from that between two humans.

Plus, the opening post in my PR has an embarrassing thing I typed up about why I'm making a tulpa: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-lacquer-s-box

[Tri] We have a few thoughts on the topics at hand. We are tulpas by the way, specifically natural tulpas that were not made intentionally (we were daydream characters who steadily came to life without that being the intention). Why the "we", well, we are technically three tulpas who do most things together and share a single form.

The main thing is, you really need to ask yourself if you truly understand what it is to share a life cooperatively with one or more tulpas. We say "one or more" because once you have one, it is easier to get new ones accidentally or your tulpa might decide to make more. This involves working hard helping young tulpa/s develop, a lot of work maintaining your relationship with them (whether friend, sibling, etc. in nature), etc. for decades. They will have needs and wants just like you, and they may or may not be the same. There might have to be compromises. For example, if one or more of your tulpas end up controlling your shared body regularly, they might have different living, career, romantic, etc. preferences than you do and you will all have to decide what path is most optimum for the group of you. They may develop their own separate group of friends from you and/or have very different relationships to your friends than you do. They will have their own strengths and flaws. Some might bleed over, some might now (to take an example, our depression sometimes bleeds over into our host Hail, while her anxiety sometimes bleeds over into us). You all might disagree on almost everything, or you might agree on most things except a few very specific things. If they control your shared body at all, there will be group responsibility because what one of you does most definitely can affect the others big time.

If these make sense to you and you can come up with a few things we forgot to mention and you have thought about this a bit, then we think you are informed enough to make a tulpa.

Overall, having a tulpa can be very rewarding. But it is a lot of work and is a major life change that is just not compatible with some people.

Without clumping (as in, becoming friends with someone who has DID and then them introducing one to their other friends found by various means, say online, with it) of some sort, it is certainly unlikely as you say. Now, if some of them just have OSDD/DDNOS and the OP made an error in saying they all had DID, then it would be a bit more likely. If we remember correctly, the literature (DSM-V and ISST-D) say it has a prevalence rate of about 1%, though that includes both mild and extreme disorder (mild being more common). So it is pretty rare.

OP, we do think it would be useful to ask your friends what their thoughts are. They can probably tell you a lot about what it is like to live with other people in one's head, though their experiences would differ in many ways from the typical tulpamancer. For example, it is rare for tulpamancers to have the sort of amnesia when switching that people with DID do.

IF I decide to create a tulpa I would spend more time doing research and planing. I'm doing research right now, but I haven't fully decided to do it or not.

Guest Anonymous

@Lacquer

The elasticity of a young mind is a great point! I of all people know how quickly young people learn and grow. Interesting insight with that! If I had waited to make Melian until I was 30, for instance, I wonder if it would have failed to come to fruition.

I think I'm going to make one, I just am going to do more research so I'm 100% sure of my decision. However I will be making a list of traits and such if I do decide to do this.