Trippy Questions about Wonderlands and the Unconscious and Conscious Mind

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

If the wonderland exists in the conscious mind, doesn't that mean we have to be actively, deliberately, consciously imagining it? What happens, in that case, to the tulpa in the wonderland if we get distracted from actively thinking about the wonderland? If the wonderland exists in the unconscious mind, how is it that we perceive it at all with our conscious mind? Wouldn't that be a contradiction to the concept of "unconscious?"

Is the wonderland a permanent "place" or an imaginative transitory thought?

Look up the Method of Loci, or memory palaces. For it to work, there would have to be some unconscious aspect to it. Extend the same ideas to wonderlands/mindscapes/paracosms, and you've got your answer.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for that Lacquer, I will research more on this. It is a new angle now I am pondering. As Melian would say, hold on to your shorts!

I should have revisited the FAQ first. Still, the FAQ answers seem like very simplified answers to me that don't go into depth at all and are almost meaningless.

Q: What is a mindscape/wonderland?

A: A mindscape, also known popularly as a wonderland, is a mental environment where the host and tulpas can interact visually with eachother, without the need for the host to impose their tulpa into their physical environment. A wonderland can be revisited time and time again, although it may change under your own will, your tulpa's will, or subconsciously.

Q: What is the difference between mindscape/wonderland and any other imagined environment?

A: An imagined environment is any given temporary mental scene or scenario, such as those experienced when day-dreaming. A wonderland or mindscape is a more permanent, albeit dynamic, environment that persists even when you aren't consciously thinking of it, that you or your tulpa can return to repeatedly.

Q: Can my tulpa change the mindscape/wonderland as well?

A: Yes, tulpas are also able to edit and alter wonderlands and the entities within them. Your tulpa may even change your wonderland while you are not consciously aware of it.

Q: What does it mean to 'explore' a wonderland?

A: A mindscape/wonderland can be imagined in such a way that large areas of it are undefined or lack clarity. Traveling within the environment outside of areas you've consciously defined can lead to a subconscious, dreamlike generation of environments and landscapes. This has been known to provide interesting and exciting activities for tulpa and their creators alike - it is quite literally letting your mind wander.

(Whoops, posted in the wrong thread the first time through. Here's the edit concerning the actual topic of THIS thread)

(EDIT):

This looks like another case where the issue stems from the fact that the community is rather narrow in what they study, considering things outside of their globe to be "less real" in ways.

The classic memory methods, two of which listed by Lacquer above me, are probably the most useful and important things for the question of wonderlands, but not even a nod to them is present.

Further more, the way the FAQ tries to differentiate wonderlands and other landscapes fall very flat. You can do all of those things in an imagined landscape, assuming you're willing to stick with it, keep it consistent, and really, earnestly explore it. The way that particular bit is framed, it makes it look literally no different from any other imagined space, just with the assertion that "it's more real".

If I were to say what the difference between a wonderland and, say, a memory palace, I'd say it's that wonderlands are more geared toward play and enjoyment, where as memory palaces have a more direct task. Even then, I think the two can, and probably should, overlap more. Though as time goes on, I also think it's be good for the tulpa phenomenon and more general memory techniques to overlap more. I've noticed that thought folk do display an ability to have their own little memory bank, shouldn't that be ability be focused on a bit more?

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

Guest Anonymous

Oops, Sock this may be the wrong thread for this response. LOL I know I posted like six today so it gets confusing. :-)

words

If you're rewording the questions and answers in the FAQ, it seems prudent to word them such that it takes into account that the "default" term people use is "wonderland".

Guest Anonymous

Further more, the way the FAQ tries to differentiate wonderlands and other landscapes fall very flat. You can do all of those things in an imagined landscape, assuming you're willing to stick with it, keep it consistent, and really, earnestly explore it. The way that particular bit is framed, it makes it look literally no different from any other imagined space, just with the assertion that "it's more real".

If I were to say what the difference between a wonderland and, say, a memory palace, I'd say it's that wonderlands are more geared toward play and enjoyment, where as memory palaces have a more direct task. Even then, I think the two can, and probably should, overlap more. Though as time goes on, I also think it's be good for the tulpa phenomenon and more general memory techniques to overlap more. I've noticed that thought folk do display an ability to have their own little memory bank, shouldn't that be ability be focused on a bit more?

I am aware of the concept of a memory palace. I talked about it months ago in one of the tulpaudcasts jean-luc did with me. I consider parts of Melian's dreamscape to be a an actual memory palace, or something like it. I do agree this sort of thing/definition/description seems to be missing from the FAQ at least. It may be in the guides, but I don't remember seeing anything like it there. There doesn't seem to be a lot of material in the forum threads that goes into depth on this idea.

EDIT: If someone is aware of anything like that, please enlighten me and maybe give some links?

If you're rewording the questions and answers in the FAQ, it seems prudent to word them such that it takes into account that the "default" term people use is "wonderland".

I copied and pasted the questions as they are written from the FAQ. Oh I see what you are saying. Don't change the existing terminology to something from outside like "memory palace."

If the wonderland exists in the conscious mind, doesn't that mean we have to be actively, deliberately, consciously imagining it? What happens, in that case, to the tulpa in the wonderland if we get distracted from actively thinking about the wonderland?

I mean that's pretty much how I feel, how can you be fully consciously immersed in the wonderland while your tulpa is fully consciously immersed in the real world? People act like what I do isn't switching because my brain isn't living two completely wholesome lives at the same time, but I can't even conceive how that's possible. No one can parallel process that well. The best parallel-processor in the world can play multiple different songs in his head at the same time, but that's nowhere near living two separate lives at once.

I mean, I understand pretty well what it's probably actually like. You never experience more than one consciousness, even whilst switching, so the host and the tulpa continue having their separate styles of thinking. But I consider the tulpa's, as in position-of-not-controlling-the-body anyways, to be relatively unconscious or requiring focus of the host. As far as I can tell I experience exactly what my tulpas experience, and that is not parallel processing with every possible awareness in tact. I can be forgotten about, and at that point I'm as inactive as my tulpas would be (although returning to consciousness is infinitely more easy for me than them; mindvoice is always 100% clear, too).

Of course others probably have a more detailed and thorough experience than I do, considering the lack of even remote parallel processing in our system, but I don't feel like anything is entirely different otherwise. Determining whether the host and tulpa are both fully conscious while switching is akin to determining if tulpas have consciousness in the first place, which we obviously haven't proven yet. So I still feel weird about being told I need to actively interact with the wonderland the entire time we're switching for it to be "true" switching. I mean, besides that being completely arbitrary. I don't see how it's really possible, and if it is and you're all so sure of it, then it seems like you've proven tulpas are capable of consciousness. Either that or, while switching, your tulpa can't verify your consciousness.. Which, I suppose, is the boat we ourselves are in. Because I can't verify I myself am conscious while switched. I feel exactly like my tulpas do - like my brain knows how to be "me" unconsciously/automatically, and can simulate the effects of consciousness as far as memory-making and all sorts of reactions go. But I can't say that my mind is exactly the same as when unswitched, that I continue having total control of a fully functioning brain, because it doesn't feel like I do.

Also we're so bad at visualization that it requires all of our focus to make a steady image. But that's probably not the entire reason I'm not active in the wonderland all the time I'm switched.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

I avoid having doubt about any persons claims on what they themselves are experiencing in their mind. I have no way to dispute it and so I take it at face value. I will be honest though, I asked these questions today because I find switching, and the human brain experiencing two conscious minds in two different places simultaneously, to be really far out there in the extreme. It is the most wild of all the claims by tulpanamcers and I don't know of anything else that compares to it. Not even Dissociate Identity Disorder or natural multiples have anything like it that I know of. It is pretty much metaphysical in nature or on the very edge of metaphysics such as astral projection and extra sensory perception. I hope no one is offended by those statements. I honestly don't mean to be offensive.

This is the way I look at things now. I want to share Melian. Period. I have no reason to try to put anyone else down or doubt their word. It wouldn't benefit me in any way to do so. So, I am happy to take what members of the forum say at face value as factual, as long as I am extended the same courtesy with Melian. There have been a few who openly doubted my sincerity about Melian and it almost turned me from that extended courtesy to everyone else. But there are enough of you willing to accept my word with respect that I am still happy to stay here and enjoy what I learn and all about tulpamancy, no matter what the real truth of it all is. I really have no idea. All I know is that it is really cool stuff and I can relate to it.

I copied and pasted the questions as they are written from the FAQ. Oh I see what you are saying. Don't change the existing terminology to something from outside like "memory palace."

Sorry, I thought you said revising, not revisiting.