[Personality] Will this work?

Hi, so I'm a pretty active day-dreamer and have preexisting "characters". I'm wondering if I can use one of those and just give it a personality, and if that is the case I have a question about parroting. With parroting do you make the tulpa say " I have trait X and Y" or do you make the tulpa act the way you want? So as an example is do I make my tulpa say "I like hot dogs" or do I have a wonderland and have it eat a hot dog?

1. You mean you want to use the appearance of one of your preexisting "characters" and make it a tulpa (which would mean giving it a personality, among other things) ? If that's the case, then yes, you can do it.

2. Don't confuse parroting with puppeting. And you can do whatever feels correct to you. You can make your tulpa SAY "I have trait X and Y", and that would be parroting (and there's no problem about doing it, I personally prefer not to use parroting, which doesn't mean it's bad)

You can also make it eat a hot dog, which would be puppeting, and it would be okay too.

Remember, it's all about symbolism.

Currently working on Seren, so that she gets to shut me up frequently.

Najere: It could work for you. That's how Fade formed us, after all. I would say it to be worth a shot, and if it doesn't work for you, you can always read the guides around the forum and get other ideas on bringing them to life. When she started off parroting for us and making us move, she didn't really know what she was doing (or that the result would be sentient headmates). So, I don't know the best answer.

Fade: From personal experience, do both parroting and puppeting. Have conversations with them, debates. Roleplay with them. Tell stories to them, about them, and with them. The better you know this tiny head person you are creating, the better you can work with them, and the more your mind will know how they run.

Basically, your mind will better be able to simulate what it knows how to, so know your characters inside out.

I warn you though, parroting might make it take longer. I can't be sure at what point my muses passed over into more sentient, "headmate" territory. It must have taken at least a year. On the other hand, I did this without knowing anything about tulpamancy. That might also be the factor behind the slowness.

And after a certain point, trust that they'll start interacting on their own! When is up to you. Whenever they show signs of going by their own violotion, of doing things without you instructing them, wean yourself off of parroting and puppeting. It bothered my guys for a while longer than it should of, because I didn't know enough to stop making them do things.

Edited by FadingSpectrum

A queer soulbonding system with tulpamantic influences.

Dimitrov:

[in my humble opinion, having a tulpa literally eat a hot dog in a wonderland has a strict distinction from the idea of a tulpa eating a hot dog. Is it not possible to imagine someone eating a hot dog, or have the thought of eating a hot dog? Yet, that occurrence would never truly take place. Predefining those actions, rationally-speaking, would be ruling out what the tulpa in question would be doing at a given moment. Eating a hot dog, going around a mindscape, doing all kinds of things. The occurrence differs from the concept of the occurrence, though. With that in mind, claiming or thinking that your tulpa is eating a hot dog is an idea, a thought before anything. If nobody is in control but you, as in if your tulpa is non-sentient and non-vocal, I would consider it as good as imagining Sarah Jessica Parker living in a farm; it is merely a thought in this occurrence. There can be some correlation between thoughts and formation of being.

Imagine you woke up one day with a craving for hot dogs. Would you be able to explain why, and get to the bottom of it? Specifying that your tulpa likes hot dogs just because it likes hot dogs would be a challenge to reasoning, then. A common mistake we frequently see is that some people literally shape tulpas, not because they want what is best for them, but because they seek that kind of fulfillment in someone else. A child who seeks to make a tulpa out of an anime character due to a crush, or a character from a video game at that, only seeks the effect it has on them, and not how the tulpa 'would' feel about it. Perhaps there would be a sense of satisfaction, rather, a sense of moderate apathy regarding the assigned traits, but even then, with a bit of ration, anyone would question their being; 'why do I possess such traits?'

All in all, the act of parroting, if you interpret it like in the original post, is really just imagining. Is it not visualization? Another common mistake we see is that people think that whatever happens in their imagination is definitely a tulpa. While imagination does not discredit anything, on the contrary, it is a great tool for development, imagination tends to be quite mixed up and irrational in how it functions. All kinds of thoughts can go around for no actual reason aside from repressed desires and whatnot.]

Ah, I'm too tired. I only came here to help.

« — Va, je ne te hais point ! »

The hot dog was just an analogy, for a trait or preferance I won't be controlling my tulpa to that extent.

You say you already have characters. I would assume they already have personalities assigned since that's part of character creation. It's just how you make them act and talk, and why you think they would.

Puppeting and parroting are basically what you already do when you use these characters in daydreams. You make them do things you want them to do, whether based on your idea of their personality or not, rather than passively watching as they act on their own.

For some people, doing this creates a tulpa after some time, especially if it's done with the intention of doing so. But for others it seems to result in just more daydreaming.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

In general. For some it works better. Though for you, coming off of daydreaming and basically parroting/puppeting these characters around as lifeless dolls you control, doing something different may have more effect than continuing to parrot but with the intention of making a tulpa.

Parroting and puppeting can also be really useful in small doses if a tulpa has become sentient but needs to be shown how to move or speak.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

• 1 month later...