Tulpa War! Can one tulpa harm or destroy another tulpa? If so, how does that work?

Guest Anonymous

Najere: In my own experience in our mindscape, we can expand it whenever we like, and it's more than large enough for the ten of us (especially if you count the alternate universes as part of it). So fighting over it would be idiotic.

If conflict happens between us, it'll be because someone said or did something stupid around or to someone else. Usually, this is just Troy and Euryale harassing each other, with Stethen often on his sister's side. Or, it's me and Medea. She's a bitch from time to time.

It's established that we can't kill each other in the mindscape. Even were our form in the mindscape destroyed, we could just reform. It's not like the physical world; we exist here on a deeper fundamental level, and can't just be wiped out. We could injure each other, say, break a leg. However, we could also simply fix it. It's just damage to our mindscape avatar.

Fade has intervened on occasion. That is, when we do it around her, and if she even notices; it doesn't affect her beyond distressing her if she sees it happening. Any of us could stop a fight if they had the mind to, whether by generating physical barriers between the warring parties, or just employing diplomacy.

The problem with having many people with varying points of view in our mindscape is that there is bound to be conflict from time to time. We're lucky that most of us have the sense to talk it out rather than duke it out. The real problem is finding solutions to possible grudges or resentment that might build up, rather than concern that one of us will slay each other.

A queer soulbonding system with tulpamantic influences.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

@Everyone,

Wow, I was concerned this topic might not be taken seriously. Instead I got very thoughtful, informed answers. I have been wondering about this subject ever since jean-luc's tulpaudcast with GlitchTheThird. :-) I hope this thread is a good reference in the future for others with similar questions.

Luckily, currently I only have one apparently autonomous thoughtform with Melian. Our attempts to create a tulpa failed only a short way in, mainly due to lack of real interest in Melian and I to make it happen. Yoda was left pretty much where he started, as another day dream persona in the Melian Show. Maybe some day we will try again, but it seems unlikely. I have so much respect and admiration for those who deliberately create a tulpa and especially for those who create and maintain multiple tulpas. I will forever wonder about the process and situations that you guys experience.

Guest Vixx

I was reading up on DID after last night's discussion, and it turns out that alters do fight amonst themselves and switch with the host, and that the host has some form of amnesia 98% of the time after switching according to this article.

It seems to make sense that if tulpas are just different personalities that we give forms to, that they would have the same range of emotions we do.

I'm kind of starting to think that tulpamancy is just intentional/controlled DID/MPD.

Guest Anonymous

Careful with blanket theories unless you have very tough skin! LOL

But I can see your point. Tulpas at their most advanced seem similar, but not identical, to multiple personalities. For one thing, do multiples have wonderlands or forms? Not sure about that.

Guest Vixx

Lol, for the record *only I* have *kind of* come to this conclusion. If anyone has a different opinion, I would love to ponder over that as well...I've barely been here a month and my opinion has been constantly changing since I joined.

Guest Anonymous

Don't misunderstand me, so far I like the fact that you are here. It is refreshing. I think you and I think a lot alike. People here can be sensitive though. I would be the last person to discourage you to speak your mind, believe me! I was just giving you a head's up that people can react more emotionally than you might think. Tulpamancy is very personal and there are those with tulpas that have existential identity issues and are fragile and prone to the dangers of induced doubt. So the hosts react to protect themselves from doubt. I think such behavior is weak and stupid, but it does happen.

Guest Vixx

Careful with blanket theories unless you have very tough skin! LOL

But I can see your point. Tulpas at their most advanced seem similar, but not identical, to multiple personalities. For one thing, do multiples have wonderlands or forms? Not sure about that.

According to the article when they switch, the alters have their own hairstyles, mannerisms, and way of dressing. Of course the physical body cannot be altered when switching. No idea about the wonderland since people that actually get diagnosed with DID seem to have some trauma or deeper reason for the fragmentation & the alter seems to appears spontaneously vs. tulpamancers creating wonderland to actively work/engage with their tulpas. I think only someone who could personally relate could answer that.

EDIT: What do you think differs tulpas from multiple personalities, besides wonderland?

Don't misunderstand me, so far I like the fact that you are here. It is refreshing. I think you and I think a lot alike. People here can be sensitive though. I would be the last person to discourage you to speak your mind, believe me! I was just giving you a head's up that people can react more emotionally than you might think. Tulpamancy is very personal and there are those with tulpas that have existential identity issues and are fragile and prone to the dangers of induced doubt. So the hosts react to protect themselves from doubt. I think such behavior is weak and stupid, but it does happen.

I understand, because when I first joined I got extremely butthurt about a post I made that you replied to lol. I so badly wanted tulpas to be independent and sentient and I didn't even mind that I might by lying to myself, because in the end, if I'm happy...that's all that matters right? This is the most combative forum I've ever been a part of...but it has forced me to think, and made me uncomfortable, but that's how progress is made. I've come to realize that doubts can't harm you if you pick them apart until you come to a conclusion that they are either incorrect or correct. (Putting it simply & trying not to derail the thread lol)

Guest Anonymous

The most important defense against Mistgod-Melian doubt mongering is to realize we are full of hot air and probably dead wrong. LOL

EDIT: What do you think differs tulpas from multiple personalities, besides wonderland?

I would have to do a lot of research about multiple personalities before I felt safe answering that question!

I understand, because when I first joined I got extremely butthurt about a post I made that you replied to lol. I so badly wanted tulpas to be independent and sentient and I didn't even mind that I might by lying to myself, because in the end, if I'm happy...that's all that matters right? This is the most combative forum I've ever been a part of...but it has forced me to think, and made me uncomfortable, but that's how progress is made. I've come to realize that doubts can't harm you if you pick them apart until you come to a conclusion that they are either incorrect or correct. (Putting it simply & trying not to derail the thread lol)

It is a science discussion forum supposedly. If people read the introduction the site it is clearly stated. So, none of us should feel uncomfortable with competing ideas. They are only ideas and opinions for gosh sake! :-)

You are right, discussions, even with people who disagree with me (especially that), help me to learn. I have learned a lot here!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the original questions in the OP!

The things I am wondering about are these:

1. If a wonderland is merely an illusion and not a real place, why do tulpas fight over it? Why not just expand it or create more imaginary space? How can it be a conflict over resources when imaginary resources are unlimited? Isn't the wonderland a sort of collaborative imagining (day dream) between the mind of the host and the minds of the tulpas?

2. Why does such conflict occur between tulpas in the first place? Is it a power struggle? Why would that be?

3. Can a tulpa harm another tulpa or destroy another tulpa? How does that happen? It isn't the form they are destroying, as that is merely a projection or figment isn't it? So if a tulpa harms or destroys another tulpa, isn't that a war of minds? How does that happen?

4. Can a host put a stop to these conflicts or are they beyond the host's control? What kind of effects do these conficts have on the host mind and emotions?

5. Is potential tulpa conflict something a tulpamancer deciding on creating multiple tulpa should be considering?

[Hail] Just going to finish off the bit of a tangent.

I was reading up on DID after last night's discussion, and it turns out that alters do fight amonst themselves and switch with the host, and that the host has some form of amnesia 98% of the time after switching according to this article.

That article is woefully out of date. For one, it hasn't been known as MPD in over a decade. If you want better information, I suggest reading the Adult Treatment Guidelines from the ISST-D (International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation) for a medical perspective or heading out into other plural communities for community perspectives.

I should note that there are a few DID and OSDD/DDNOS systems in the tulpamancy community who have also made tulpas and can give some personal perspectives.

That all said, yes, alters can fight each other and sometimes do. And yes, there can be amnesia with regards to switching, which is known as "losing time". That said, not all DID and OSDD systems even have a "host" and not all have total amnesia with switching (levels vary). And such systems can often reduce the amnesia with some work (some even manage to figure that out on their own).

I'm kind of starting to think that tulpamancy is just intentional/controlled DID/MPD.

That isn't quite true since there are a number of differences. Also, not all tulpamancy is intentional or controlled (look at the number of people who start getting walkins and accidental tulpas and the number of people who have natural tulpas). And DID systems often do come to decent levels of internal control.

In short, yes. DID and OSDD systems can have wonderlands (often called headspaces or innerworlds) and the members of the systems, if they have wonderlands, generally do have forms there.

As for similarities and differences, I have been told that from a practical standpoint, in a system with both alters and tulpas, there isn't that much difference between them when they are developed but that they sometimes have different flavors. In my own system, there certainly don't seem to be major differences between S. (the original here) and tulpas, though we are not a DID system (OSDD maybe, but definitely not DID).

According to the article when they switch, the alters have their own hairstyles, mannerisms, and way of dressing. Of course the physical body cannot be altered when switching. No idea about the wonderland since people that actually get diagnosed with DID seem to have some trauma or deeper reason for the fragmentation & the alter seems to appears spontaneously vs. tulpamancers creating wonderland to actively work/engage with their tulpas. I think only someone who could personally relate could answer that.

This is no different than tulpas and hosts, who have their own personalities, preferred ways of dress, different mannerisms, etc. In wonderlands/headspaces/innerworlds, tulpas, hosts, and alters are alike in that they can have forms very different from each other and/or the body.

See further up in this post.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

Guest Anonymous

@FallFamily,

Thanks for your informative response. :-)

This is off topic but...I only sort of consider Melian part of a system mainly when interacting online. In my daily life in the real world she is more like an enhanced imaginary friend. I would not consider her an equal or alternate personality in either case really. I think that is one thing that sets me apart from many or most tulpamancers who may be inclined to consider a tulpa an "equal consciousness." That is of course fine for them as that is how they are experiencing things. I still love Melian and she could not be more important to me. But this is my one body and my one brain and my one mind and she is a piece of my mind, a creation living within my imagination. She is more of an emotional and artistic expression than an alternate personality.