Learning hub

Yuki

During the last community meeting, I talked about my idea for a learning hub, to be placed on the main tulpa.info site. I wrote a draft, which you can read here: learning hub2.doc (Updated with edits on 24 January)

As with any project, people are more likely to be interested if you include nice visuals. So, please enjoy my mockup for how it would look.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'd like this to be helpful to newbies first learning about the tulpa phenomenon, and I want them to have all the tools they need to get started right there. I'd like it if people proof read the text and came up with improvements, as well.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

Guest Anonymous

I really like it so far. I will take a closer look at all of this later. Must go shopping with my wife for now. :-) Anyway, it certainly has a friendlier, more inviting look to it. :-) "For Yuki" huh? Sure it is.

About time someone decided to make one of these, so props to you Yuki for getting it started. I think what needs to be focused on are the bare essentials, a starter kit of sorts. This is really going to form the backbone of the Learning Hub so guide selection is going to be key. However, the parts on teaching the reader how to conduct research, namely "How to research tulpas" (come on, it's in the name), "Keeping notes and logging your progress" and "Save interesting links", don't really need to be there. In general, I believe people should have a basic level of common sense and research ability. As such, those topics are redundant and, sorry to say, pointless. Let's be honest- if people need help on how doing effectively middle-to-high school level research, then it really calls into question whether or not they should be put in a position where they are going to be responsible over a new entity. To some extent, even though IRC might be a new tool to some people, I am of the mind that people can and should learn that on their own. Pretty much every server has their own tutorial and google is more than able to provide the information easily. Still, I have the feeling you are well aware of this and are providing it preemptively to make sure that people don't bring up the same question repeatedly in the channels, so it's fine in the regard. Cheers!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -Neil Gaiman

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried." -Stephen McCranie

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a reworked draft, that implemented some of the critique it got. learning hub2.doc

I personally think that even thought people "should" have these skills by the time they enter this community, I don't think we could say that everyone will use proper researching methods when learning about the phenomenon. It won't even occur to many people who would otherwise be capable, and that bit could serve as a reminder. I believe that it will be useful to some, if not many. We did condense that section, and seeing as it will be collapsible, it won't be in the way for people wanting to see just the substance of the hub.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

I read through the reworked draft and it looks pretty solid. However, the mentorship program thread could be added to the useful forum links, aswell. (This was planned anyway, right? Atleast Rasznir said something during the last meeting about it).

I have one suggestion, though. The "What is a tulpa?" area would probably fit better right at the start of the page, since you probably want to know what you're researching. It is like the first information you want to know, and i guess it would prevent people from just skipping the research part to have the most urgent information beforehand. I see why you put it in the beginner ressouces section, but i guess the very definition could be a stand alone section easily, even when it is rather short.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

Guest Anonymous

Mistgod-Melian: Well written! We think this is such a good idea. Are there books and articles beyond the guides that would be helpful? We had to find those things on our own by asking a lot of questions and using Google. Many people just starting tulpamancy do not know simple facts about the history of the community for instance. A link to a community history might be helpful.

Books we read that helped:

Magic and Mystery in Tibet by Alexandra David Neel (the ultimate primary source everyone seems to reference)

Jung on Active Imagination edited by Joan Chodorow (great stuff by psychologist Carl Jung on creating personas in the mind)

Magical Use of Thoughtforms by J.H. Brennan (metaphysical, but contains information about visualization and memory houses)

Thoughtforms and Hallucinations by Chidambaram Ramesh (fascinating attempt to connect metaphysics and science)

One thing we noted early on is that there is no bibliography of source material to accompany the guides. A science forum needs to be based on something more than just air or skeptics will be unimpressed initially (until they actually make a serious attempt at creating a tulpa themselves).

Our point: Are there interesting articles and books about the physiology and psychology of the brain that support the plausibility of tulpamancy that we can list/suggest or link to? Can we have something about the history of this community in the Learning Hub?

So far this looks good, though I'd either want to include the "What is a tulpa?" more prominently. Perhaps link people so they go from the main page to what is a tulpa, to the learning hub. Coming at this as a noob, I would see the hook on the front page and want to know more about what this thing is, before knowing if I want to dedicate the time to read about how to research it or actually do so.

I am not certain about including the link to tulpanetwork -- whereas .io has a bunch of curated organized resources and the reddit is quite active, network is just the forum and doesn't appear to have seen an on-topic post in almost a month. If it starts showing signs of life, sure, but as it is now, there's 4 guides and a pretty small number of on topic discussion threads.

Searching: I might add a tip about using google with site:tulpa.info if the builtin search doesn't help, though I guess that might be better to include on the search page itself.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Upon looking upon the revision, it odes look like a solid documents to get newcomers up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for doing the newbies a solid.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -Neil Gaiman

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried." -Stephen McCranie

One of the things I liked about Tulpa.info when I found it was that all of the information was located on the site. The points you've added to the body of the page looks good, but I think there should definitely be a glossary on site, and a link to it in a prominent/noticeable place. I also think a tulpa 101 and/or a simple tulpa creation guide should be there as it's own article or page. Like how it's set up now. I couldn't actually read the .doc, it came up as wingdings for me. :P

A site is much easier to trust, and feels safer to navigate when it hosts it's own content.

You'll definitely want to get all your text and links squared away before putting the pieces together, but over all I like the idea of giving the homepage a face-lift. and I'm definitely for updating the "international" links. I believe half of them were dead when I clicked on the out of curiosity.

I went to school for graphic design some years ago, so if you want any help when you get to the graphics stage I'd be willing to contribute some buttons or design elements. :3

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

I'll have it up soon. Going to sleep now, but I'm working on it.

A glossary would be a useful resource and I think belongs on a separate page. I don't think a guide would be that viable since there's a variety of different ways and we don't want to give one of them the stamp of approval as the one best way. Instead we can link to the ones that are written most clearly and give a lot of people good results.

I do agree with your sentiment that stuff hosted on a site is going to be more credible to random viewers than links into forum threads. Maybe we can select some guides and put them there. The downside to that approach is that it doesn't give the authors a way to edit them once they're up; instead they have to contact the admins to make changes. (Then again this probably helps the content's credibility somewhat.)

The font in the .doc file is Liberation Sans. It doesn't come with Windows by default, and is more common on Linux. I think my Windows got it when I installed LibreOffice. If you don't want to install a font, simply select all and change the font to whatever you like. Or select all and copy it to Notepad or any other plain text editor that doesn't support any formatting.

(EDIT: Actually, by "Wingdings" do you mean it opens in a new browser tab and begins with "ÐÏ"? If that's happening, right click the link and "save link as" instead of left clicking it. What you're seeing isn't Wingdings but the binary code of the file displayed as plain text, same as what you'd get if you renamed .doc to .txt and opened it in Notepad. My Firefox does this though Chromium downloads it; I think it's an issue with MyBB and how it's presenting the file.)

We tossed around some design ideas a long bit ago but never implemented them. At present we use Wordpress with Thesis, so whatever new look is created would need to be made into a Thesis or plain Wordpress theme. If we're going for a whole new look, I'd like it to be mobile friendly and print to something that looks sensible.

The current plan is to have the home page with its current content, and add a large button to the bottom that leads to the learning hub. The hub will have a very visible link at the top to the "What is a tulpa?" page for those wanting a more in-depth description, probably a short intro to the hub, and then each section in the .doc in a click-to-expand section.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)