Personality Questions?

Basically I did my first personality forcing session today. It was ok, but the problem is that I can't see anything well, and their body kept spasming. I was using the orb method for it, in which you make each individual trait into a energy ball. But honestly I feel after this that the listing of traits would be a better route to go. How exactly does that work? Is it as simple as listing each trait and describing it? Because I feel the session would only last 45 minutes at most if I did that. Maybe theres more too it? I just feel like I keep messing up. I meditated for well over 15 minutes before starting, but since it was dark out and I like using a dark room, I had to keep using my phone as a flashlight and checking the traits and going back again and it killed all of the meditation and mood and flow. I'm just horrible at this.

Host: Jade

Tulpa: Star

"Nature does not recognize good and evil. It only recognizes balance and imbalance." -Walter Bishop, Fringe

If you have a list of traits and want to go down the route of narration/describing the traits to your tulpa, I think you should give FAQ Man's Trait Template a look. It should give you a good idea as to how you would define those traits. Disregard the hour counts, however; FAQ's "x hours and you should be here" has been debunked since creation works differently for everyone.

If you write a lot about each trait, thinking how different sorts of events would affect your tulpa, you could probably stretch those sessions out to be pretty long. But really, just work on the trait until you have a good idea of it in your head - you don't need to keep pounding each one if you feel like you've already covered them.

Alternatively, personality is optional.

If the body spasms, just correct it and keep visualizing from there. Intrusive thoughts are both common and annoying, but you can work around them.

I just feel like I keep messing up.

Funny thing about that -- it's actually very, very hard to mess up with tulpamancy. As long as you're not ignoring your tulpa completely or abusing it or something, chances are you're doing fine. A lot of the journey isn't actually following the guides to a T; it's experimenting with different ways to force, finding what works best for your and your tulpa, and sticking with it. The guides are supplementary material.

As far as your question goes, that's mostly how it works. Just make sure you're focusing on your tulpa and reading the list to them as you're doing it, or you're not gonna get anywhere.

If you like meditating and forcing in a dark room but also need to read off a list, have you ever considered getting one of those little reading lights and using it when you force? Or maybe you can casually read the list to your tulpa in a brighter setting during the day before you actually sit down and do your usual forcing. That might help you remember the traits.

Alternately, it might help to do personality forcing like you'd do a narrative instead of reciting from a list. Like, instead of saying something like "You're caring, like animals, and are generous," you could string it together in a more fluid way: "You're a caring person, with a particular soft spot for animals. Whenever you see an animal you feel a thrill of excitement, and an injured animal brings out the more nurturing side of you. You'll do whatever you can to nurse them back to health, going so far as to sacrifice large amounts of money on vet visits and medication. Because of this, everyone who knows you would say you're a generous person, but you're too modest to agree with them."

Creating a narrative like that could be easier than memorizing a huge list of stuff. I know it's definitely easier for me, lol.

Sharu (host) || Arro (tulpa)

If you have a list of traits and want to go down the route of narration/describing the traits to your tulpa, I think you should give FAQ Man's Trait Template a look. It should give you a good idea as to how you would define those traits. Disregard the hour counts, however; FAQ's "x hours and you should be here" has been debunked since creation works differently for everyone.

If you write a lot about each trait, thinking how different sorts of events would affect your tulpa, you could probably stretch those sessions out to be pretty long. But really, just work on the trait until you have a good idea of it in your head - you don't need to keep pounding each one if you feel like you've already covered them.

Alternatively, personality is optional.

If the body spasms, just correct it and keep visualizing from there. Intrusive thoughts are both common and annoying, but you can work around them.

If I just kept a small list of 20 traits and spent 2-5 minutes each or so one 1 trait describing how they'd act and such, would that be okay? Or maybe if I did one half the list the beginning of the day and the other half later? Or would that not be productive enough since it would be 2 20-30 minute sessions? Personality sessions go by super quick. On top of that, since its only 20 and their basic traits (kind, nurturing,etc) is it possible my tulpa will turn out to be very one dimensional and flat in personality or will it fill in the personality gaps on its own? Cause that's what I was going for. A nice outline but also lots of space for them to fill in what they want as well.

Host: Jade

Tulpa: Star

"Nature does not recognize good and evil. It only recognizes balance and imbalance." -Walter Bishop, Fringe

If I just kept a small list of 20 traits and spent 2-5 minutes each or so one 1 trait describing how they'd act and such, would that be okay? Or maybe if I did one half the list the beginning of the day and the other half later? Or would that not be productive enough since it would be 2 20-30 minute sessions?

Yes, both of those are fine. Just do what works for you, really, whatever helps you get familiar with those traits so that you can link them to your tulpa. It would be a good idea, if you're going down that route, to do this every day or every other day until you feel like you're done, until you feel like those traits have become solidified in your mind.

Is it possible my tulpa will turn out to be very one dimensional and flat in personality or will it fill in the personality gaps on its own? Cause that's what I was going for. A nice outline but also lots of space for them to fill in what they want as well.

That sort of thing would fill out on its own, yes. That's why you can make a tulpa with very few personality traits or make a tulpa with no personality work and still end up with similar results.

As far as my personal experience goes, rather, I gave my Tulpa five cardinal traits. From there, I just repeated it for a while as a sort of mantra mixed with passive forcing/narration. Personality, I let them develop themselves. Since I was running it in the back throughout a day or two and refreshing it over the week, it ended up wracking up quite a bit of an hour count. I did the sphere visualization/symbolism thing, but that was only for a few minutes before I discarded it as not being for me. Hope this helps!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -Neil Gaiman

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried." -Stephen McCranie

You really don't need to fear messing this up. There is no need to do this hour long sessions for this. I went with symbolical feeding for the first few weeks, so I just had 5 to 10 Minutes of trait feeding every day. The important part is that you somehow connect the traits to your tulpa. Don't expect instant results or a new weird feeling about your tulpa just because you started to work on its personality like that. You can go with simple listings if you like to, but personally I liked to get a feeling about the trait I was about to feed to my tulpa, so I created an image in my mind about how this trait would be, before feeding it to Alice.

You won't be able to get feedback from your tulpa about this too soon, so you should just assume that your method works for you, whatever it will be.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

One of the functions of a mindscape/paracosm is for the Method of Loci, otherwise known as a Memory Palace. While you would need some practice before being able to use it like I will describe, it is an option to help you not break your flow so to speak when doing meditative active forcing. Within your wonderland, have a closet or something containing a collection of objects, each with a unique shape and each imbued with the idea that the object represents X, where X is one of your traits. Once you've practiced with this, you should be able to go to your closet, scan over the objects, and remember the trait list without ever having to open your real-world eyes. I assume that once you remember the trait name, you will have enough of an idea of what it means for your tulpa that you will be able to continue forward from there.

In a way, if you want to think of it as such, really what you are doing is just trying to create a persistent thought-pattern for your Tulpa.exe to run off of. What I mean is that, like making a character, you try to keep them consistent within the realms of their personality. In this case, whether via symbolism or repeat, you are creating the framework for your Tulpa's behavior to originate from. Kind of like scaffolding, you are laying down the foundation for further behavior to build off of.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -Neil Gaiman

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried." -Stephen McCranie