How hard is it to create a tulpa?

waffles

This kind of question has been on my mind a bit lately. Of the people who start the process in some form, how many eventually end up with a vocal tulpa? It's not something I really have much of a good idea of. On rtulpas, someone with mentorship experience mentioned a 50-80% failure rate, which is pretty high, I guess. But, I can't verify, don't know the sample size, plus they're selected for people who already need help anyway.

I don't watch PRs much, either, so for people who do, what have you seen in this vein? I don't know if you'd count someone who stops replying before reporting success as a failure every time, anyway. I guess the PR archives could be looked through, at the expense of time.

I'm generally curious about guests, I guess. How many people make a tulpa and never register? And are the people who do register/post representative of those who don't, with regards to failure (or other things)? I think this stuff is pretty hard to guess, besides the traffic stats maybe.

Only the unlucky few put both time and dedication into creating a tulpa and "fail". 90% of the time whenever someone doesn't reach their desired goals in tulpamancy, it's because they lacked the motivation/time to accomplish them. That or their beliefs weren't very conducive to success in the first place.

But there really are people whose minds just fight them every step of the way. In the same way that I am physically unable to roleplay as my brain vehemently denies the act, there are some who absolutely cannot convince themselves they have a tulpa or that it isn't them tricking themselves. Which, of course, it is to some extent. That's why I try and tell everyone tulpas aren't magical creatures nor you talking to yourself, they're a phenomenon of belief + training your mind to autonomy. There shouldn't be any faith involved, if you believe then they are. Even if they seem fake, they won't be if you consistently attempt to believe otherwise.

But yeah, a lot of people can't wrap their heads around this. And some do just fine not quite understanding the process, just doing what others tell them. But others get stuck, unable to challenge their hardwired beliefs, and end up in the graveyard of tulpa hopes and dreams called "Forum Games."

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Some people might find the whole concept of 'I succeeded, and so many other people didn't...' a bit of an ego boost, which, in that respect, is probably well awarded. I've seen some people who spent years in the community without much result. But in contrast, I have also seen people with a large number of tulpas. I think that the question here should be more 'how many people keep working on their tulpas?', because there is such a large number of 'I dropped out because X reason'. Some people do literally abandon their tulpas. I come to believe that will, contrary to how 'belief' functions, exceeds all limits.

My own personal motto was always that I needed to empower myself. That I needed to play my cards smart enough so that I could reach the goal of empowerment. And that my tulpas, coincidentally, were also means to gain power. But unlike convincing your father to give you more allowance, or getting that other bloke to leave you alone, my tulpas were means for me to reach unthinkable amounts of power, in my mind. I wanted to be more than this poor kid. In a way, I made out that this sole will was enough to get me where I was. A will that was able to override all sorts of 'lack of motivation', as I had close to no other purpose, back then, in pseudo-developmental-stages for my tulpas. I reckon they have never been weak, not even once, they were always my role models in life, both of them. Perhaps my will shaped them to be like that.

What is it you seek? Is it the embrace of a loved one? Appreciation? Think on all levels of thought. What could you possibly want subconsciously? Less of a 'form' and more of a 'concept', that is. I believe that if a proper niche is dug up, everyone can really improve their entire experiences. Finding what really fits you (because, with all the due respect in the world, a lot of people make tulpas for unfitting reasons, and yes, there ARE such reasons, but speaking of that would bring us a completely different order). Knowing what you want of tulpamancy is a big step, figuring out what it is you will for, you truly want and can really live with for such a long while. With consistency. At some point, a tulpa might feel like delving more into real life than the wonderland; is it something everyone can pursue? My tulpas contempt themselves with their existence as it is, but maybe, one day, they will demand a stepup, a 'raise' in some ways. The concept of power, to a weak ant like me, was always the most desirable of wishes. Which is probably why I was able to figure out with ease how to get what I really wanted, with no real other elimination process for other things.

A tulpamancer needs to plan ahead of time, in my opinion. Being prepared to deal with a certain ordeal that would strike the host at some point, thinking about how ready they are, how long they can commit for. Admitting that there are certain limits a man cannot afford to push, rationalizing... It was always the thing I did. Perhaps focusing on those things took off my mind from the other thoughts like 'This is madness' 'Why do you have two dudes sitting in your head?' 'You have other things to do than this', as rationality would commend, at the very beginning, depending on your own views. The error, in my regards, is that people fail to really put forward the 'long-term commitment'. Is it really that short-lived glorification we seek, as human beings, from tulpamancy?

EDIT: I am aware this does not fully answer the question, but I believe there is no concise answer.

Ah, I'm too tired. I only came here to help.

« — Va, je ne te hais point ! »

You could look through the progress reports and see how many people have reported success, sure, but I don't think that someone not keeping up with their report is an indicator of failure. Most of the time, I've found that the reason why people "can't make a tulpa" is because they're not putting in the required effort. It's happened more than once that I've had a one-on-one with someone who ranted about how they weren't able to talk to their tulpa after years, but have told me that they rarely work on them. I don't think that anyone can easily answer this question.

Edit: As someone who has been involved with the mentor program on Reddit for almost its entirety, most of the people drop a few questions in my inbox and go. This doesn't give me a good indicator of if my advice was good or if they ever ended up succeeding with creation.

I think the whole point of having all the guides and a community to refine the methods used for tulpa creation is to have a reliable system that people can use to make tulpas, especially taking into account the people who show up and say "Oh, so what I've had for all these years is called a tulpa, huh? Neat." and how they all have widely (wildly?) different "methods" that developed naturally on their own. It seems to me that the people who fail or say "I've been at this for X months/years with no results, what do?" are simply doing it wrong. They would have to be following the wrong methods and doing things that are advised against for the whole time for nothing to happen. That, or they stuck to a single method the whole time, and that method just happened to not be a good fit for them. That's part of the reason why it's important to read a bunch of guides and "assemble your own method" so to speak, which really is just seeing what aspects from each guide work for you. It's like reading a bunch of recipes and watching several recipes before making a common dish, and when it's time to prepare the meal, you work off that aggregate knowledge of what the dish is instead of one specific recipe.

Oh, also, this post is ignoring people who don't put in the effort, since it should be plainly obvious why it isn't working for them.

Slightly unrelated to the topic, but this does bring up a question of mine that I've had on my mind. How many people with tulpas are there right now? Totaling all the people here who are or have been active posters, plus lurkers, plus the same on other tulpa communities, minus roleplayers and other assorted fakes, plus people who genuinely tried and stopped due to getting bored with it or otherwise, how many people are we talking about here? 2500? 5000? 10000? 25000?

@Lacquer: Good post.

It seems to me that the people who fail or say "I've been at this for X months/years with no results, what do?" are simply doing it wrong. They would have to be following the wrong methods and doing things that are advised against for the whole time for nothing to happen. That, or they stuck to a single method the whole time, and that method just happened to not be a good fit for them.

Well, when I wrap my head around it, this is how it all comes off; people speak of how relative the tulpamancy experience is. That a method might not work for someone and it might be THE thing for someone else, and the same could go for X amount of methods and ways of procedure. There is no way to know what method will work for you until you find out yourself, in the end. A thought I've had for a while is that in the case we're all just really roleplaying (although I'd like to believe I'm the last person who'd even do that), the more we 'pretend', at some point, we'd fool ourselves and enter the pit of delusion that there actually 'is' someone out there. Many facades of tulpamancy revolve around convincing yourself, in the end, and I found that many people reach 'decent' results (I mean overall results and signs, that is), it is because they put all that will, all that hope and motivation into it. In my regards, as long as there's a will, there's a way, not in a general way, but when it comes to tulpamancy. I just thought making a comment on that specific part might be useful. You're right.

how many people are we talking about here? 2500? 5000? 10000? 25000?

Well, there is a census. Do what you wish out of the results, though.

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-tulpa-community-census-2015-results

Ah, I'm too tired. I only came here to help.

« — Va, je ne te hais point ! »

They call it a census, but it's really just a survey, since they can't get everyone to take it. Plus, it doesn't include some of the groups I mentioned. There really isn't a way to accurately get the number I'd be looking for, only wide ballpark estimates.

Only the unlucky few put both time and dedication into creating a tulpa and "fail". 90% of the time whenever someone doesn't reach their desired goals in tulpamancy, it's because they lacked the motivation/time to accomplish them. That or their beliefs weren't very conducive to success in the first place.

Beliefs not being conducive is a "failure" in my books. I mean, insofar as beliefs are methodology it's a methodology failure - and if not, then they're failure-inducing circumstances. Lacking motivation, well, sure, but anyway, it's still a lack of success when the person wanted success. I don't know about the 90% figure, but in my experience I don't tend to see people failing because they lacked motivation (or time) - actually, the people I've seen struggling tend to struggle after spending more time and effort than most people would have to get to sentience.

I am aware this does not fully answer the question, but I believe there is no concise answer.

Maybe if you want to talk about why things are hard, or what makes it hard. For me, a concise answer would be a single number, the proportion of people who fail in those who try. But like Vos says, maybe that's not easy to do with what we have now.

It seems to me that the people who fail or say "I've been at this for X months/years with no results, what do?" are simply doing it wrong. They would have to be following the wrong methods and doing things that are advised against for the whole time for nothing to happen. That, or they stuck to a single method the whole time, and that method just happened to not be a good fit for them.

I don't know, is that really the case? I mean, I've seen people flit between pretty general narration and parroting methods, and those are the only two approaches that could be considered "advised". Anecdotal I guess, but at least for the people I've seen, they don't tend to stick to very narrow methods. Maybe I only see the lostest of causes.

Slightly unrelated to the topic, but this does bring up a question of mine that I've had on my mind. How many people with tulpas are there right now? Totaling all the people here who are or have been active posters, plus lurkers, plus the same on other tulpa communities, minus roleplayers and other assorted fakes, plus people who genuinely tried and stopped due to getting bored with it or otherwise, how many people are we talking about here? 2500? 5000? 10000? 25000?

There was the question of how many tulpas there were recently, here. I couldn't come up with anything better than an order of magnitude guess of 10,000 to 100,000 for it. The census has very few respondents by comparison, so it's only useful for stuff like how many tulpas per host (about 2) - that's why it's not a census, it's a survey (edit: yeah beat me to it). I really don't know how many people who have registered have made a tulpa - that's kind of relevant to this thread. I made a very speculative guess of about a third. And there's rtulpas and foreign-language communities (I know how big the Russian one is, but not others). I doubt roleplayers or fakers would amount to anything significant, numbers-wise. And people who tried and stopped? If they stopped before making a tulpa, surely they wouldn't be people who have tulpas.

I guess the next step would be to figure out some way of finding out. A "press button if you're starting, pls come back and press another one if you succeeded/failed".

Man, 90% isn't an actual percent, it's a phrase. You guys are actually talking about difficulty a little differently than I was, as anybody who wants a tulpa and doesn't eventually make one. I was thinking having relative success with tulpamancy in their own eyes, and from what I've seen on the forum most people either don't spend enough time with their tulpas or can't get over a mental block. I can't think of anything else that really comes up often aside from those.

Also I saw someone mention making multiple tulpas (sorry this post is scatterbrained, being distracted), and I think they implied that took a lot of time. I dunno about everyone else, but after having my tulpas for six years, making another was extremely easy. It only takes as long as defining all of their traits and spending some time with them. Obviously my first three took 2-3 years to become relatively well developed as I had to figure everything out on my own, but Lucilyn was sentient as soon as I finished the planning phase and started talking to her. And she's actually been more easily active/clearly-speaking after inactivity than the others, for some reason. So I consider her on the same level as the other three, in a tiny fraction of the time. And I honestly feel like I could make as many as I wanted now, had I the reason to. But I don't. Motivation is one of the largest requirements in creating a tulpa and I don't have any for another, but aside from that, nothing's stopping me.

That was uh, completely irrelevant, but I felt like putting it somewhere. Maybe that's not how it is for other established tulpamancers, but it was my experience. Once your brain is 100% comfortable with having tulpas, the process is boiled down to simply having details and motivation to cement them in your brain.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• 3 years later...

This kind of question has been on my mind a bit lately. Of the people who start the process in some form, how many eventually end up with a vocal tulpa? It's not something I really have much of a good idea of. On rtulpas, someone with mentorship experience mentioned a 50-80% failure rate, which is pretty high, I guess. But, I can't verify, don't know the sample size, plus they're selected for people who already need help anyway.

I don't watch PRs much, either, so for people who do, what have you seen in this vein?  I don't know if you'd count someone who stops replying before reporting success as a failure every time, anyway. I guess the PR archives could be looked through, at the expense of time.

I'm generally curious about guests, I guess. How many people make a tulpa and never register? And are the people who do register/post representative of those who don't, with regards to failure (or other things)? I think this stuff is pretty hard to guess, besides the traffic stats maybe

So uhm i am trying to make my own tulpa im trying my hardest n searching for lots of methods nothing is working can u pls giveme advice?