Possessed/Switched Tulpa Mannerisms

Vos

I've been asking some of the more advanced members that were capable of full-body possession (and in some cases, switching) what their tulpa's mannerisms were like when they were in control. Did the tulpa act more reserved or shy while using the body? How would they handle talking to someone in their host's circle of friends, family, or strangers? What's their general posture like? If they're an animal tulpa, as an example, does this affect the way that they act in the body at all?

My host has pointed out that, for the most part, I'm acting the same in the body as I would in an imagined space. I have some strange habits that have carried over (unsurprisingly) like pressing the hand against the neck for extended periods of time or tilting the head slightly when I'm not too focused on something. I don't act more reserved, but this is probably because I'm familiar with the two people we're living with (one of which is a former member of this community). When I'm around other family members that I don't know well, I sort of retract into my shell, and the same goes for when I meet strangers. When it comes to posture, the back is always straight and I have a somewhat feminine gait, though I do try to catch myself on that when I'm around strangers.

I'm interested in hearing about some more experiences, so feel free to share if this applies to you.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you want answers to those specific questions.. Flandre and Reisen are more reserved, though Reisen is leaning more towards "delicate" than reserved. Tewi is straight-forward in a way that's somehow more straight-forward yet less crude than me when I am. Lucilyn (unfortunately) has to hold back when talking to my family or they would definitely notice something weird, as she's pretty excitable. For the most part for casual question-answering/discussion, my tulpas seem to be able to use the same sort of talking autopilot I do where there isn't really thought involved, and just kind of sit back in the mind, like they're waiting to be in control again. Again Reisen leans toward a more expressive and uplifting side of my possible moods and Tewi more serious, and again aside from Flandre they all have to keep some of their stronger differences from me in check. Flan is actually relatively similar to me in most ways so doesn't normally have to do anything special. I want to say posture is a non-question for us, but I guess Reisen has better posture in general, Tewi has like actually-actively-thinking-about-the-healthiest-way-to-sit posture, Lucilyn is all over the place but less likely to slouch than I am. Possibly somewhat relevant here, but Scarlet (not Flandre) tenses the body a lot and seems to cause it some strain, so we both figured she probably shouldn't switch often. While not exactly animals, Reisen and Tewi obviously have rabbit ears, and the character Lucilyn was based on has some frog-like tendencies. But the prior two seem to have avoided any phantom limb syndrome at all, and Lucilyn is usually sitting in a chair anyways. Ironically the only one with a phantom-anything is her, because she's used to having large sleeves she can flap around when excited. I'd say she has the most things she has to change/do without when switching of all my tulpas.

Now that I answered all your specific questions, I'll throw in what originally came to mind when I saw this thread. Ever since the first time we managed a decently wholesome switch, Reisen has moved what I can only call more "elegantly" than me. And I don't mean she floats around like a Disney princess. All of her movements seem very conscious and purposeful, while I of course just have automatic mannerisms for how I move after 20 years. It's hard to explain without just seeing, so the best I can do is "The way you move when you don't want animals to see you as threatening", but less fearful and more natural. Flan is similar enough to me, slightly more feminine maybe but nothing you could really point out. Tewi is also conscientious and purposeful, but in a practical way, more akin to training a dog than petting a rabbit. Think when a baseball player goes up to bat, when they're very focused and know exactly how they want to move and why. Because, I guess, she does. I might be understating Tewi everywhere I talk about her switching to be honest - she is 90% of the reason I was so quickly convinced switching wasn't just me pretending to be someone else. Everything she does is just more efficient, not the least of which is thinking. She was the primary tulpa in mind for when we first discussed permaswitching, not seriously of course, but theoretically nonetheless. I really think were she the one controlling the body and not me, my life would turn out very differently. But we decided it was my life to live, not theirs. I try to do things on my own even when one of them could do it better.

All I can say about Lucilyn is she really, really wants to dance in the rain. It's my own laziness and fear of being weird in public places that's stopped her so far, but that really is the single ambition any of my tulpas combined have. Lucilyn basically fell in love with Travis Stebbins, a guy who writes and sings lyrics to Touhou Eurobeat arranges, with Rain Dance being her first and favorite song by him. It is her theme I suppose, and I used it to help me think of her when I was working on her development, but she became much more obsessed with it and him than I was. For her sake I really can't understate how much this single activity means to her, strange as it may seem. It's got a much deeper meaning to her I think, tied in to her very existence. Couldn't tell you what that means, though.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I have a few distinct mannerisms when possessing, and so does Sen. I play with the hair a lot, and I suppose my body language is kind of timid, at times. I walk a little slower than the others would, and am a bit more careful and deliberate with the things I do. I'm not quite sure how else to describe it. In general, my body language is more feminine, as well as the way I walk and speak. I'm rather soft spoken, compared to the others.

Sen acts a lot more energetic than me, and is a bit more dreamy, in the sense that she'll stare at a wall for a few minutes to daydream, forget what she's doing, and pet the cat for extended periods of time. She tends to move very fast, if nobody is around, to the point where she runs up and down stairs. She has a hard time sitting still, sometimes, but most of the time when she's in the body, she just plays CS:GO. Her voice is very dynamic, in the body, in the sense that she does a lot of whispering, shouting, giggling and more, when she feels like it. In her game's voice chat, that is.

I usually get out of the body when we have to talk to people at home, Sen is a little better with that, and does a good Dutch impression. When I worked at my volunteer job, I think I mostly acted very feminine and timid. That's the extent of in-person conversations I've had, I suppose, the ones I had there. I'm not very good at them still, but at least I'm not terrified of talking to people anymore, after half a year there.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

Troy: If we were to describe all of the differences in everyone when they front, we would be here all day. All nine of the have fronted at least once. Some front quite frequently, some only on rare occasions. Fade always fronts, with the exception of that one perfectly frightening incident.

Fade: Everyone else usually just shares fronting with me because it's kind of hard to push me out of the front most of the time. But they do make shifts in the body's mannerisms. Mostly, we try and keep it under check because we don't want to look weird.

One of the reasons why we don't let Drewbie do much fronting is because he doesn't do any talking when he fronts. He's a bouncy little guy, fidgety, and easy to distract, and it shows. Not that that's bad, but it's not how I usually act. I'm kind of the shuts-up-and-stares-quietly-from-a-lonely-corner kind of kid.

And then there's Troy. He's pretty muted. He has this sort of look that says "don't touch me" a lot.

Some of the guys are excitable. I'm too tired to really continue this, but yeah. Describing everyone would be tedious.

A queer soulbonding system with tulpamantic influences.

I've been told that when 16-Volte possesses, my voice changes a little bit. In general, when he's talking to people, he's really skittish and shy at first, but he warms up to people really quickly. His eyes (er, my eyes?) tend to dart around a lot, and he likes to bob and tilt his (my?) head.

When he possesses, even when I'm totally tired, he has a lot of energy, and is very excitable. In terms of physical affection, he gets really embarrassed if someone hugs him or kisses him. He tends not to like being touched.

Also, 16-Volte for some reason really likes any kind of food. Even gross cafeteria food. He ingests it with grandeur. Sometimes, when I'm out at a restaurant, I'll let him switch for a moment to taste what I'm eating. He absolutely loves it.

Call me Gabi. Tulpamancer since February 16th, 2013. reddeadrebel on the IRC.

Call me 16-Volte. I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride!

Message me on tumblr!

I've informed Loz on how to act around my family and he manages to pretend to be me pretty well. He stumbles on his words a bit more than I do, although I'm not sure yet if it's because he's generally an anxious person or if it's because he's still not sure how to really "use" the body properly. My family hasn't mentioned "me" acting weird or anything, so I'd say for the most part we don't have a lot of noticeably different mannerisms.

When he's just being himself and not pretending to be me, the differences do become more apparent since he's not repressing his personality. He has much worse posture than I do and tends to slouch. He talks slower and more lazily, and actively uses words/language I don't normally use in a serious manner (mostly slang and weird juggalo-esque shit). He crosses his legs a lot, while I prefer to sit in a lotus position 90% of the time. Also, he constantly looks and acts like he's about to pass out or already passed out.

I'm interested in hearing about some more experiences, so feel free to share if this applies to you.

First off, since I do not have any personal experience, this is all conjecture. Feel free to remove or disregard as you see fit. That being said...

I've been asking some of the more advanced members that were capable of full-body possession (and in some cases, switching) what their tulpa's mannerisms were like when they were in control. Did the tulpa act more reserved or shy while using the body? How would they handle talking to someone in their host's circle of friends, family, or strangers? What's their general posture like? If they're an animal tulpa, as an example, does this affect the way that they act in the body at all?

I would have been more surprised if this was not the case. Different pilot, different maneuvers and all that. The body, in a metaphorical sense, is supposed to be an extension of the mind within it. So it would stand to reason that if a different mind were to take over, then yes there would be a different personality. As for handling close acquaintances of the main personality, I would imagine that unless the person in control wanted to completely screw over the "main" personality, they would try to blend in and try not to give external observers any reason to be suspicious.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -Neil Gaiman

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried." -Stephen McCranie

Tewi: We've found our body has a sort of auto-pilot that any of us can engage at will, by un-engaging. It seems to be default mannerisms/reactions when no conscious thought is provided. This is most apparent, at least for us, when Lumi uses time in the shower to talk to one of us. As far as I can tell, nobody is actually explicitly controlling the body for the duration, our focus being on our conversation. And that autopilot can extend just fine to getting dressed, walking through the house, and casually conversing with family. When it comes to conversing however we usually have to "un-engage" rather than sit back and talk in the mind. Still can't parallel process unfortunately.

Anyways that's completely irrelevant to me, today. I converse consciously with his family just fine. Luckily my personality just seems like he's serious/tired (both of which I currently am) to them, so I don't have to change anything. Maybe physical mannerisms to some extent.

The concept of "sabotage" while switched is a joke. No tulpa with such disregard for their host's life should ever be taught how to switch or possess. We do everything we can to improve our host's life, because even though we aren't always directly experiencing it, it's our life too. Also we aren't jerks? I converse, plan and basically act around his family exactly as he would. I'm perfectly capable of discussing plans for, uh.. Well, both Lumi and his mother are going to the same college right now, so "college plans" I guess. Anyways, we exist just fine, and we don't have any stupid beliefs about what we should do while switched.

We're "us" until, for the sake of not being questioned or having to explain ohgodswitching, we have to act more like our host. Comparing us like "Oh, they're more feminine, they sit differently and like watching videos of frogs" is kind of degrading. I understand why you'd state things that way of course, I'm just saying, it makes us sound like we're "add-ons" or "mods" to our host rather than just different people. Don't know how you could word things any differently though, so I'll just assume you're all very well-intending in your comparisons and understand they're just for the sake of this discussion. Elsewhere, it would be like describing somebody by exclusively comparing how they're different from their brother. But in a thread where you're discussing how they're different from their brother...

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

[Hail] Tri definitely does use the body different when in full-body possession. They have a different voice, and noticeably different facial expressions. They come off as way more serious and unemotional than me because of that, despite the fact that they are actually the opposite (just, they are rather monotone and their face sometimes defaults to a "don't mess with me unless you want to lose limbs" face). Tri sits a bit different than I do, though not as different as in the past. Big place one will see a difference is in how we drive. Tri drives very differently and holds the steering wheel and shifter very differently.

When A., E., and Se. do full-body possession together, they have an even more different voice and quite different posture. Haven't had much time to observe other differences due to the fact they control the body so seldomly.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

Tewi: We've found our body has a sort of auto-pilot that any of us can engage at will, by un-engaging. It seems to be default mannerisms/reactions when no conscious thought is provided. This is most apparent, at least for us, when Lumi uses time in the shower to talk to one of us. As far as I can tell, nobody is actually explicitly controlling the body for the duration, our focus being on our conversation. And that autopilot can extend just fine to getting dressed, walking through the house, and casually conversing with family...

Joss:

Yeah, we've found the same thing. The body has, well, a mind of its own. It's had nearly 30 years to develop procedural memories for things like driving, writing, hygienic routines, etc., and it will pretty much do them the same way it always has if we don't consciously disengage it.

But there's a certain satisfaction in overriding it. When I'm out, I feel more "present" when the body's posture, voice, and mannerisms match my own as closely as possible. This has its drawbacks--I've got dysphoria problems, because the more I make the body feel like me, the more aware I am that it's... well, not. At least, not as far as the form I associate with myself goes.

But, I suppose, to answer the original question... yes. We all have our own mannerisms that come out when we're driving. As Metatron put it: different pilot; different maneuvers. My military mindset, Temar's left-handedness, Felicity's incessant good cheer... we are who we are, and that is reflected in how each of us drives the body and interacts with the outside world.

Sparrow---Temar---Joss---Ayo--et al