Instilling Traits You Lack

Drakaina

I'm in the rough conceptual stage of thinking of making a tulpa. I have a figure in mind, fluid so s/he can change it if they like, but established enough that I have something to grasp when working on him/her.

I have something in mind for the overarching personality I want to instill, but here's where I hit a potential stumbling block. My mind functions in an overly logical way. My therapist has said I use too much of my "Spock" mind and not enough "Kirk" mind. ^^;

I feel emotions but it's in a sort of detached third person way. I don't process them "normally". I would like to make a tulpa that can feel those and help me have a sort of outside opinion to balance my hyper logical nature.

My question is, can you give your tulpa traits that you are lacking, or under-developed in? To me that seems like someone who's bad at math, trying to teach a kid algebra. :P

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

My question is, can you give your tulpa traits that you are lacking, or under-developed in? To me that seems like someone who's bad at math, trying to teach a kid algebra. :P

Quite a few people put traits that they're lacking into their tulpa, so yes, you're able to. It's important that you understand the trait well, however, so I would suggestion going through Dane's trait template to see if you can answer some of those questions with any of the traits you have in mind.

Thank you for a link to that, Vosaiu. I'll take some time and try to answer those questions.

I actually have a template type thing for characters I use for RP and writing that's quite comprehensive and covers the things in that template and then some. The monster is 11 pages long unfilled.

I've avoided the idea of using it though because I'm not sure how far I should try to force a budding tulpa into a mold vs letting them shape their own personality.

Heh, not even our of the alpha stages and already I worry about treading on a tulpa's individuality. ^^;

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Thank you for a link to that, Vosaiu. I'll take some time and try to answer those questions.

I actually have a template type thing for characters I use for RP and writing that's quite comprehensive and covers the things in that template and then some. The monster is 5 pages long unfilled.

I've avoided the idea of using it though because I'm not sure how far I should try to force a budding tulpa into a mold vs letting them shape their own personality.

Heh, not even our of the alpha stages and already I worry about treading on a tulpa's individuality. ^^;

Well, once they gain more independence they'll deviate slightly/a lot, but hey, I'll add my suggestion. Why not use a few traits as a "base point" for them to work off of? So that way, they're not completely personality-devoid from the start, and you don't feel like you're controlling every personality aspect.

I think you're confusing abilities and talents with personalities and traits. As long as you know what the trait is, like Vosaiu said, they can have it. Abilities they can do develops overtime.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.

Thanks for chiming in, Mirath. More information is always good.

Raaar. Feed me the pools of wisdom this community has to offer. More Knowledge for the brain sponge. X3

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Guest Anonymous

Just like in any interpersonal relationship, you tend to find ways to fill each others needs. I think even without designing these traits into your tulpa at the start, something will develop on its own. For instance, just as an example, a host may need someone to help calm him or her down at an emotional time with soothing words and "everything is going to be okay." In a case like that, the tulpa may become a consoling voice to help with anxiety. The cool thing is that there will be things about your tulpa that you will have never predicted in the beginning.

When you have a dream about, say, having a sexual encounter with an attractive person (by your own terms)... If you never really had that kind of encounters, your brain will give you the idea you subconsciously have of the entire 'orgasm' in that kind of intercourse. With that example in mind, it is important to remain conscious that if there is something you are ignorant about, your brain will just make up an interpretation for it. If you want to instill traits you lack, you might as well research those traits and their effect one people so that you get the proper idea, instead of a distortion which would lead to something you may have never willed for.

Ah, I'm too tired. I only came here to help.

« — Va, je ne te hais point ! »

I think you're confusing abilities and talents with personalities and traits. As long as you know what the trait is, like Vosaiu said, they can have it. Abilities they can do develops overtime.

Basically this. Also if you give your tulpa traits you're lacking, you probably will have an easier time to tell the difference between the way your tulpa thinks and your way of thinking. Your tulpa shouldn't be a copy of yourself, so you don't identify too much with it yourself.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

You don't need to worry about being unable to instill traits you yourself don't possess into your tulpa, because your perception of what that trait is will go into your tulpa, not some sort of experience with having that trait. Your tulpa will act like you think someone with that trait will act. Think of the idea of the "P-Zombie". Internal mechanisms don't matter as much as how they present outwardly. Besides, as a tulpa is a human consciousness, those internal mental mechanisms will manifest on their own.

Math is a learned skill, not a personality trait. Being shown the mathematical symbols without having learned what they are will not help you understand them better, but the human brain is wired up to give people personalities naturally as they grow older.

Don't worry about "treading on [your] tulpa's individuality" by giving it a starting point for its personality. That's just a base for your tulpa to build off of and deviate from into its own consciousness. What you're doing is less saying "this is what you are" and more convincing yourself that there is another consciousness in your head that looks like this. Past that point, things will develop naturally.