About a reddit comment.

Virus

I''m all day reading posts about experiences, advices, etc. about tulpas.

And reading this post (https://m.reddit.com/r/Tulpas/comments/3pk1iz/can_a_tulpa_die_a_natural_death/)

This part caught my attention:

"The more believable and relatable your tulpa is to you as kin and personality, the more the associated material traits and vulnerabilities of humanity you're likely to ascribe to them."

So does this mean that the more real your tulpa becomes, the more "imperfect" (you know, humans are perfectly imperfect) they become?

(I know I've been posting a lot of doubts/questions but I can't help it. orz)

EDIT: I've read all the replies, and most of you said the same thing. So now I see I had a wrong idea about tulpas.

I wasn't worried about them having flaws (because nobody's perfect), but you know, I was seeing it more like "tulpa concept" than "normal person".

I don't know how to explain it.

Melian really helped to change my point of view.

Once again, thank you all for your replies.

Everything these eyes have seen, I want to magically scatter it to pieces.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh

I don't know if I can discuss this one

When she first appeared, I subconsciously did not allow Reisen to speak for about a year because I knew she would become imperfect once she did.

Flandre and Tewi eventually convinced me that wasn't worth it, that perfection wasn't required and we'd both be happier if she did talk.

Yes, she became more imperfect as she became more human. But, imperfection is the nature of humanity..

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

Imperfection is what makes a person perfect.

Quote me on that. It's true. ^^

If Esterina was perfect, she would probably bore the ever-living f*ck out of me.

And I sure as heck wouldn't have fallen for her, no way in hell. ^^

And that goes for any other person too; how boring would a perfect person be?

Imperfection is what makes us human, what makes us real, what makes us relatable.

And, of course, the same goes for tuppers, without exception.

Greets,

AG

Joss:

A tulpa becomes more real by developing more traits--whether that's by our hosts giving them to us or us growing them on our own. You know what more traits leads to? Imperfection. Because every trait has a dark side, and the more traits you have, the more likely it is that traits will interact in a way that is "imperfect." That's pretty much what a personality is: a bunch of traits, habits, and memories interacting with each other. Depending on the combinations, different "imperfections" can arise.

So yeah, that which makes your tulpa more "real" is, by definition, that which makes them "imperfect."

It's called life.

Sparrow---Temar---Joss---Ayo--et al

What exactly does everyone here define to be perfect? I don't get the feeling that there's a consistent definition here

Mine requires some setup: (Note that "you" just means "a representative average person" here)

The imagination is capable of providing greater things than real-life (the reasons for which are irrelevant, but would be happy to discuss if anyone wants to), and so when you see the real form of something you've idealized, you are underwhelmed. Over time, you increasingly associate the real world with that disappointment, and then perception of the real world becomes fogged by it. The unfoggedness/ not-underwhelmingness is what I think you guys are using as perfect

Personally though, I don't believe that perfection as used colloquially has sufficiently solid conceptual roots to be regarded as anything of significance.

I''m all day reading posts about experiences, advices, etc. about tulpas.

Before anything else, I wanted to say that I wouldn't put much faith in reddit anecdotes. They're weird over there.

Anyway, about the main point of your post, look up previous discussions on this forum about intentionally giving your tulpa flaws. The general consensus is that the personality traits (good, neutral, or negative) you give your tulpa will "round out" so to speak into a cohesive human personality, which includes flaws, but mostly in the sense of stubborn = strong-willed.

In a more general sense, from the theme I'm getting from your various questions here, I feel the need to tell you to calm down. This is an imprecise process, different for everyone, and all you need to know is to keep at it and it should all turn out fine. Once you end up with a tulpa you talk with every day like any other person, you'll look back at your worry-warting now and think how silly it all was.

Guest Anonymous

What do you mean "the more real your tulpa becomes?" Are their degrees of realness now? How real are you? If there are degrees of realness, are there degrees of fake? Is there a point where a tulpa is both fake and real or a mix of both?

Most in the tulpa community consider tulpas to be just like people (conscious, sentient, persons). Yeah, people will have faults. As you get to know someone better, you are more likely to notice those faults.

It's virtually impossible to be "perfect" when you're seemingly human. Negative traits will almost always exist in humans, whether we like it or not. And even if anyone tries to be perfect, a fault can grow from it.

Perfection is also seen subjectively. If you take sexual partners, for example, a person might see the "perfect person" as someone with a list of specific traits (usually if not always similar) in them.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.

Troy: It makes its own sense. Humans are inherently flawed. A tulpamancer's goal is often to have a friend on the level of another human being within their mind. Thus, they too should have their own personality flaws arising from a complex character, as any human would.

That, and everyone has their own idea of what constitutes "perfect". A tulpa and their host might have differing views.

A queer soulbonding system with tulpamantic influences.

Guest Anonymous

Those flaws are not what makes them more real though. That seems off to me. It seems more accurate to me to say that you, as the host, are getting to know them better and discovering they are not perfect. Its not like, "oh you have flaws, you are more real suddenly." With that logic, a tulpa with less personality flaws would be less real right? So the more flaws the more real? I think the base premise of the OP is a little weird.

Oh and I am so good, even my personality flaws are super duper!