About a reddit comment.

Virus

Guest Anonymous

Those flaws are not what makes them more real though. That seems off to me. It seems more accurate to me to say that you, as the host, are getting to know them better and discovering they are not perfect. Its not like, "oh you have flaws, you are more real suddenly." With that logic, a tulpa with less personality flaws would be less real right? So the more flaws the more real? I think the base premise of the OP is a little weird.

Oh and I am so good, even my personality flaws are super duper!

You're not supposed to take the word "real" so directly at face value... xD

It's meant more like "real as a person", or "realistic".

Sure, an absolutely real tulpa could be fabulously perfect, have no character flaws, just be all around flawless.

But really, how "real" would a tulpa OR any plain ol' human like that be to those around them? It makes them feel "fake".

That's the way "real" and "fake" are meant here. ^^

Greets,

AG

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

There sure seem to be a lot of confusing uses of the word "real" around here. When I meet a person online and talk to them, I get to know them. When I discover they have personality flaws, I am not saying to myself "well, hell, this person seems more real to me now." I am saying "well this guy is a bit overly sensitive isn't he?"

I think hosts need help. Hosts, please, pay attention to tulpas talking to other tulpas. Do you ever see me saying "Hi new tulpa guy! Say, you sure seem pretty real. In fact, I think you are more real today than yesterday. That is cause I found out you are self centered." Hosts say tulpas are peeps and then turn around and talk like they are a thing.

Pay attention to what you write and think about it for a bit. Are tulpas people or not? Treat them as real people and get to know them. Don't assemble them like some sort of Frankenstein's monster. "A little of this a little of that, hey that sure looks real now."

A character in a book is given flaws to make them more "real" in the sense they are relatable to the reader. A person has flaws that arise naturally simply by the very nature of what a human consciousness is. Two very different concepts. A tulpa having flaws shouldn't be something to be concerned about or something to be considered as part of the creation process. Hell, what those "flaws" are are just other parts of what makes a person a person. Don't worry about it.

Guest Anonymous

There sure seem to be a lot of confusing uses of the word "real" around here. When I meet a person online and talk to them, I get to know them. When I discover they have personality flaws, I am not saying to myself "well, hell, this person seems more real to me now." I am saying "well this guy is a bit overly sensitive isn't he?"

I think hosts need help. Hosts, please, pay attention to tulpas talking to other tulpas. Do you ever see me saying "Hi new tulpa guy! Say, you sure seem pretty real. In fact, I think you are more real today than yesterday. That is cause I found out you are self centered." Hosts say tulpas are peeps and then turn around and talk like they are a thing.

Pay attention to what you write and think about it for a bit. Are tulpas people or not? Treat them as real people and get to know them. Don't assemble them like some sort of Frankenstein's monster. "A little of this a little of that, hey that sure looks real now."

Geez, Melian, calm down. xP

Again, that wasn't meant like that at all.

Esterina read this thread too, and there wasn't even the slightest comment from her about the choice of words.

May I remind you that she's quite the defender of tulpa rights? xP

So, really, you're overreacting to something that doesn't even really deserve a reaction.

Deep breaths, Melian! Deep breaths!

Greets,

AG

Guest Anonymous

"The more believable and relatable your tulpa is to you as kin and personality, the more the associated material traits and vulnerabilities of humanity you're likely to ascribe to them."

This quote is a load of horse poopies for instance. You don't ascribe anything to a person. You get to know them.

I am calmness.

Guest Anonymous

And yes! Relatable.

That's what "real" means here. "Relatable as a person".

Look at it this way: Human or tulpa, talking to a "perfect" person would be like talking to a machine.

They would give only the best and most logical of answers to questions, and only give the most appropriate of suggestions at all times, while never making even the slightest mistake.

It'd be like talking to a robot.

That's why the word "real" was used here.

Greets,

AG

... now let's move on from this. xD

Yup, you don't have to try or put effort into making something real real. It naturally happens on its own, so there's no need to worry about it one way or another.

Guest Anonymous

I wish the quote went like this "the more time you spend with your tulpa and the more you get to know them, you will discover they are not perfect peoples and so are like other people you know and love."

Okay I had to google the word "ascribe." It means roughly attribute. That sounds not as bad as I thought they were saying. I ascribe super awesomeness to myself for instance. Cause I am super awesome.

as·cribe

attribute something to (a cause).

"he ascribed Jane's short temper to her upset stomach"

Yup, you don't have to try or put effort into making something real real. It naturally happens on its own, so there's no need to worry about it one way or another.

Totally

A character in a book is given flaws to make them more "real" in the sense they are relatable to the reader. A person has flaws that arise naturally simply by the very nature of what a human consciousness is. Two very different concepts. A tulpa having flaws shouldn't be something to be concerned about or something to be considered as part of the creation process. Hell, what those "flaws" are are just other parts of what makes a person a person. Don't worry about it.

THIS! This is what I mean.

EDIT: Mistgod: Melian was not assembled, she came to me. I never designed her like a workman's project. I think she doesn't relate as well to the idea that some tulpas are largely consciously designed, piece by piece and deliberately.

I have to agree with Melian here, though I do understand what everyone is saying. There is no point in looking at flaws, because they are subjective in nature. I find Reah to be an absolute goddess (figuratively) compared to me, despite being equals. It doesn't make her any less real and I love her just the same.

Actually, the word ideal is a better description to use here than perfect. Why would anyone want to be perfect? It's better to strive for an ideal image of your making.

I have 10 tulpas, but I'm only actively working on Reah, my first tulpa currently.

Progress Report

Guest Anonymous

I discovered my own personality flaws that I was unaware of until I went online. I didn't know I was self centered and self loving and sorta obnoxious about it. Now it is kinda a joke but yet not. I spent decades getting told how pretty I am, how awesome I am, how cute I am and wonderful and entertaining and amazing I am. No one ever said any different.

I mean I am all of those things. But maybe I am a bit too much like ... awesome. But Davie did not assign those traits to me. They just are me. Kinda hard to be anything else.

I don't think tulpas should be any different. They should be allowed to learn about themselves, not be assigned traits by force. I do understand that tulpamancers give a tulpa a basic personality in the beginning I guess. It is just hard for me to get my head around that. How do you design a personality for a conscious mind? "Hey, I think you will be a jerk!"

Here is something I wrote like a year and a half ago on deviantart and later it went into the Book of Melian: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-groovy-guru-stuff-introducing-possessed-sock-puppets?pid=152027#pid152027