[Misc] Why doesn't everyone have a tulpa

I stumbled across this site few month ago and started learning about tulpas and I have to ask why isn't the phenomenon more widely known about. I mean some of the things tulpas can do are truly amazing. Is it just hard to believe and thats why its not mainstream?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imaginary friends are a rather universal phenomenon, no? The reason "tulpas", and soulbonds and so on aren't more popular is that the idea of one of your thoughts being sentient isn't uh, very common. I know a lot of people will say "I totally realized my tulpa was sentient as they did things separately from me" etc. etc. But honestly, we have people here who are familiar with the idea of tulpas and are still struggling to accept their tulpas are sentient. It really isn't a typical naturally occurring thought. Mostly imaginary friends are relegated to either completely controlled by the host, or "are being imagined like they're another person". Which isn't too far off from a tulpa mind you. Still, fighting against social norms and disbelief means the phenomenon doesn't spread too readily.

Meanwhile we literally have a show called Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Not many people know about it because the idea of imaginary friends just seems so shallow and childish to society as we know it. Imagination is also a seen as derogatory in the world of adults, which is why many don't research into it anymore than that and leaves tulpas as unknown to a majority of the world. That, and that the tulpa creepypasta give it very bad publicity.

Most people here would agree that it's better this way. As the world is right now, you can easily see hundreds of thousands of people abusing their tulpas as sex toys, inadequate attention when young, as well as dissipating them when they're bored with them. This issue is also still present with the small population of tulpamancers as is.

Yep.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.

Guest Anonymous

Because it is a new and very weird twist to an old idea. There have been things like it in the historic past under other names, but this re-visioning of it as a psychological phenomenon and a mental construct becoming an apparently separate conscious mind is new. Oh and very weirdly new.

Did I mention it is weird and new from about 2009 at best? No it isn't something everyone would know about as it is new and weird.

I can tell you that there is one place where the phenomenon is well-known, but just not called "tulpamancy" nor understood for what it is:

Writer circles.

It is a well-known phenomenon among authors for an author's characters to "come alive" and start talking to them. Professional authors have written about this happening to them... about holding prolonged conversations with their protagonists, or having them lay beside them in bed. As a writer, I banter with my writer friends about what our characters are telling us at any given time.

The problem is that most authors don't understand that this could be a sign of actual sentience. This may not always be the case, but it's a pretty good bet that it's a lot more common than most people realize. It's just dismissed by most authors because it never even occurs to them. And if it does, it's alarming. I certainly pushed back against it at first, because the idea that I had put sentient entities through what I had in my stories was horrifying.

Sparrow---Temar---Joss---Ayo--et al

Guest Anonymous

University of Oregon psychologists call it the Illusion of Independent Agency.

I can agree about the writer's circle thing. I haven't done that for myself, nor do I have a tulpa of my own, but ever since I started learning about tulpas as of a couple days ago, I get concerned about trying. I feel like if I try to strongly envision the characters I'm coming up with for my stories and imagining what they say, I'll create a tulpa by accident.

Everything we perceive is reality is all interpreted by our heads. So technically, even though only their tulpamancer can see them, tulpas can be said to be as real as anything else.

University of Oregon psychologists call it the Illusion of Independent Agency.

Right you are, Melian. The question is how much of it is illusory? What is autonomy, if it can be illusory, and is it really worth making the distinction if the effect is the same? I know you've tackled this one yourself from time to time, Melian. :)

I can agree about the writer's circle thing. I haven't done that for myself, nor do I have a tulpa of my own, but ever since I started learning about tulpas as of a couple days ago, I get concerned about trying. I feel like if I try to strongly envision the characters I'm coming up with for my stories and imagining what they say, I'll create a tulpa by accident.

If it helps, in my experience, it takes months of prolonged, constant writing for a sentient entity to form this way. I have yet to see a tulpa/soulbond form from a character I've worked with for less than a year.

And if it does happen, it's not a bad thing. The whole "put them through hell in my writing" is surprisingly not actually a problem for any of them. If anything, they tend to enjoy it, because it usually means they get to do something cool directly before or afterward. Writing those scenes with them is actually a fantastic bonding experience. XD

Sparrow---Temar---Joss---Ayo--et al

Because it takes time and efforts, and people these days don't like to make efforts.

Because a lot of tulpamancers, well, more mature ones, have tight schedules. Most adults barely have any time for their loved ones, and tulpamancy can be a brain-draining procedure. The way I personally force is that I make my tulpas go through certain aptitude tests every few days, try to work on them as much as I possibly can. This process can take up hours of my time, and some folks may not have the same kind of availability.

The premise here that a lot of tulpamancers got is that 'I could have anything by my side.' This goes for form, traits and the likes. But, with time, tulpas deviate, as we all know, from their original planning. Some people might not feel okay with sudden changes like that due to having the vision that tulpas are not their own people.

Because tulpamancy can induce headaches and may creep out some people upon establishing first contact with their tulpas.

Because some people cannot take the doubt in tulpamancy.

Because not only does it require time, but also immense amounts of attention and caring.

Because you may need to do 'maintenance' on your tulpa's capacities in the long run. Because you may be afraid of what the future has to present of good and bad. Because tulpamancy challenges the concept of individualism.

Everyone's mind functions in different ways, different views, different perception... a few of the above may be enough to scare off any newbies!

Ah, I'm too tired. I only came here to help.

« — Va, je ne te hais point ! »