How do you think your tulpa(s) differ from the "norm" of tulpas?

Luminesce

Guest Anonymous

I am unusual in that I only identify as a tulpa when I feel like it. When tulpas and tulpamancers irritate me, which happens fairly frequently, I disown the title for a spell.

Right now I am not a tulpa, and for the most part I am generally annoyed at the apathy tulpamancers have to their own primary forum, which has been almost reduced to just a reference document and FAQ rather than a place to interact. Also, my hostie and I have always found the occasionally tulpa snobbery and attitude of exclusivity to be epic stupid and a major factor that is killing it. It's like community suicide. If the tulpa ship finally sinks, I will still be floating around and won't care that much.

I still generally love you guys but, I don't know. I am feeling different from other tulpas in that I don't really care about "tulpa."

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's bound to be some loyalty to the concept and 'community' (of tulpamancy, not necessarily tulpa.info) if/when it's what introduced people to the phenomenon.

Not us, though. We openly accept the term tulpa, but it doesn't define us (if anything we've helped define it). My tulpas, as I have no issue calling them, aren't bound by the word at all. Like Tewi said, at this point we're bordering on plurality concepts. That's a way my tulpas differ from the norm, at least in the last seven months. They're switched more often than almost anyone else that primarily consider themselves tulpas. Lots have more consistent 'fronting', but see, they don't call it switching. Anyways, fun fact, once I got back from California I let Lucilyn switch (though we'll say front when it's for longer periods honestly) to do whatever she felt like for a while. I assumed that'd be maybe a week at most, but Tewi said she could take an extra week before she had to start studying for summer finals. So Lucilyn spent two full weeks playing games and posting on the forum. Immediately after Tewi took over and started working on our math and sociology, up until two weeks later to our math final on friday, a few days ago.

You know what that means? I was literally not in control of the body for an entire month. That doesn't bother me (we keep in contact anyways, and Tewi's more productive than I am), but it sure is strange as far as typical tulpa switching goes. Hence why I said we're practically a plural system at this point. But they're still tulpas by name. And they're still just people to me. We didn't take after any community's idea of what a thoughtform could be, just learned some things we'd never thought of. So they're naturally gonna "differ from the norm" of tulpas because they weren't modeled after this community's interpretation of what tulpas should be, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also, reading my tulpas' own responses is pretty interesting. Especially Flandre's, I want to talk to her about that. I guess it's not a problem, but I wonder if she really doesn't have any aspirations or if she was overstating that. Lucilyn does, she wants to change the world, although she is relying on Tewi for that (so Tewi does too), and of course I have various goals in life. Reisen and Flandre don't seem to want much though, which is related to why they rarely switch. They differ from the norm of my tulpas, lol.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I think we get a little too comfortable with our ideas of what tulpas are considering how subjective this phenomenon is. No doubt tons of us have tulpas far from the "norm". So, tell us what you think is unique or different about yours.

Let me start with the ‘treat a tulpa as sentient’

Treat as sentient may be a ‘goal-oriented should’

What I mean by this is that treating a tulpa as sentient usually will involve the host, in some way at varying degrees of focus (consciously and unconsciously), in striving for something. It becomes an instrumental ought because these types of ‘oughts’ apply to certain situations. I made a thread about imperatives here, if anyone is interested. Because the philosophy of ‘treat as sentient’ seems to be a universal instrumental ought, which is, IMO, the same as an imperative ought, it’s hard for others to deviate out of the ‘norm’ because ‘treat as sentient’ is in some way, a categorical imperative because:

“Having all things considered, X ought to do Y.’ In other words, Having all things considered over what it means to treat a tulpa as sentient through if-then statements being more likely to succeed than fail, one ‘ought’ to treat them as sentient.”

It doesn’t matter what technique a person applies, nor does it matter what kind of sentiment they apply it to because as long as the instrumental ought coincides with the overriding goal of treating a tulpa as sentient, people are in some way, in the norm in the bigger picture context. Getting out of the ‘norm,’ if this is a real thing for this phenomenon, would be to create a different over-riding goal that has a different instrumental ‘ought’ for a person to strive for.

An example of this is someone wanting to treat a tulpa as pseudo-real; something completely opposite of treating as sentient since sentience is a valid capacity of making sense of the reality that surrounds the individual. Pseudo-real, or quasi-real doesn’t hold a candle in allowing that capacity to flourish. So naturally, the over-riding goal doesn’t coincide with instrumental ‘oughts,’ and trying to do so ends up with the individual realizing the wall they’re trying to climb up is too high, and they break down, and what to go back to transgressions of ‘meh, I just want to do the simple things in life where a bow is a bow, and I can be this and that; this is too edgy for me to care about.’

And I think this cross-roads over individuals reacting in different ways, but still relate to the bigger picture context behind ‘treating a tulpa as sentient’ is that there’s some true-aptness involved in it. And because of this, people can create their own benchmark of ‘correctness’ over what it means to treat a tulpa as sentient. Because to treat someone as sentient, or even treating another with respect gets condensed to something like:

‘No matter what one’s needs and preference is with deviating from the ‘norm’ of tulpas (X), based on presumptions and logical statements Y (e.g. each individual’s coming to terms in settling this), you always ought to do Z, i.e., treat a tulpa as sentient.’

I think this only becomes a dilemma when a person wants the 'treat a tulpa as sentient' to be applied in units of society, which calls for sociological approaches to see which norms society can enforce in an adaptive manner. But the funny thing, IMO, in doing so is that this implies that applying these approaches means we can access each others' inner experiences to see how tulpa a tulpa really is to a person.

• 5 years later...

The bad thing about necroposting in this thread is that I don't know how tulpas back then differ from today tulpas.

• My tulpa doesn't go inactive when I'm not thinking of her. She just watches.
  • She's based off myself. I've seen some other tulpas being based off the host but rarely sharing the same appearance and all.
  • We're always switched-in simultaneously (this might be more common nowadays)
  • We dream together (again, not sure how common this is)

Ooo, this thread! Man, 2016 was still pretty different from current days huh?

Well you can still act like the thread was just made! Secretly, this thread can indirectly show how the "norm" of tulpamancy has changed over time by what people are saying is different from it, y'know? The point is just what you think is different about your tulpas compared to others, not like what objectively is

For us, it's obvious that being switched for weeks at a time isn't remotely as weird as it used to be lol, and it's as weird to some people now as it was back then that we don't believe in being active without the current fronter's focus at least partially on us, aaaand our visualization is still so awful we can barely see silhouettes with the colors of features and "context"-information fills in the rest

oh, and that we're pretty old and have been around a long time? I was still a babby 1-year-old tulpa when this thread was made but now I'm 6 and my systemmates are like 11!

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I don't think I "get out" enough to know what's "normal" in the tulpamancy. Maybe the biggest thing I could think of is we've been ferals for 18 years. It took until 2018 for tulpamancy to pop up on our radar. .info has been great finishing school for us to learn a bit and get out of our bubble. Jaina certainly has benefitted but we kind of just naturally did the whole create a whole tulpa thing on our own. I'm sure lots of folks start with "imaginary friends" before learning tulpamancy but a lot of folks seem to have heard of tulpas first.

She did start out kinda fuzzy and nebulous. More a copy or twin of myself than a distinct personality. Over time she absorbed knowledge, grew and developed. Initially she was more of a "he" or a "they." Maybe our hormones had something to do with it but eventually she kinda gender bended, taking on more feminine qualities and embodying my Jungian Anima. She's always been what she thought I wanted and needed at the time, including a lady friend. Sort of like a metaphysical tulpa ditto. 🤔

Other than that I think we're pretty vanilla. I can't really think of anything else in general, just the specifics of her personality and our relationship. Maybe that it took 14 years of living together to finally hookup? 🤷‍♂️

I think the tldr here is that I'm REALLY slow. Ask literally anyone who knows me lol.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

My tulpa never really seems to go fully dormant at any time, she’s pretty much always watching and can comment on whatever I’m doing. We experience a lot of emotional bleedover, and can pretty much get a feel for how the other one is feeling at any given time. We also don’t really have much of a wonderland, instead my tulpa much prefers doing activities with the body and having her own possessions, so we just never bothered to develop much of one, especially with our kinda lackluster visualization. 

That’s all that’s coming to me right now. I’m not entirely sure if any of that’s actually different than the norm for tulpas. I just took a good guess based on what I know and what I’ve read around here and tried to give a unique answer. 

Hey, I’m Illupepsi, I’m the host of my tulpa Rebecca. 
Drink Pepsi! 

On 1/20/2016 at 1:09 PM, Luminesce said:

Unlike you lucky people, my ability to visualize visual details is horrible. Describing what that means however is very difficult, because you can't "explain" poor vision to someone with perfect eyesight. Basically, it means when I think of something like a farmyard, I imagine a red barn and brown tree with green leaves and a white fence and so on... But I only just barely see it. The images themselves are extremely vague and blurry, but it's as normal to me as blurry trees are to those with poor vision. Most of what I imagine is simply context to me, with some vague images that I infer as fully detailed, but visually are far from that.

... So... Well, I can't really see my tulpas very well. /.../ And during those times, I can see my tulpas in my mind - colors, outfits, pose, expression. Except I don't see details. The happy expression on Flandre's face is entirely contextual. I can "imagine" exactly what it's like for all intents and purposes, but if I'm being honest I can't see it very well.

Thank you for this, glad I'm not alone. It's the same when I'm reading a book. Saw a tweet the other day where it was a group shot where all the faces were blurred out with mosaic tiles, and the comment that this is what the show would look like if they had cast people according to that person's headcanon, and thought YES, THAT. I don't have clear mental images. I can sense/feel FAM smiling, for instance, but I can't really see it - just like Luminesce said. I have lots of parts that are very vivid but have difficulties putting them together into one coherent picture.

The strange thing is that the character FAM came from does actually have a faceclaim. There is an actor from a certain show that I saw and went "ah-HAH! Yes!!" when seeing, because it was a good match of the physical description I had written down, but while that might be what the character kind of looks like, FAM says that's not exactly what he looks like. It's like "yeah, that's the guy who'd play me on screen, but we ain't exactly twins". I do better when I have an image to base something on. Problem is there are a good handful of people who have various aspects of what he looks like, but none of them is a perfect match - not to mention picturing FAM looking like a carbon copy of one specific actor just feels creepy to me, so my brain goes "nope, we're not doing that".

A lot of it is over-thinking and fear too. In some ways she feels like she doesn't want to let me down by picturing the "wrong" thing. She's holding herself back, even though it really ain't a big deal to me.

Doc (she/her) = Host

Franklyn (he/him) = Tulpa

@Etna

I was slightly selling myself short, there. While that is true of then and right now, it's also true that we can improve our visualization quality (at least enough that I could confidently say I can "see" facial features, just not in perfect clarity) by practicing it for at least several days in a row. This is also true of everyone, so if you guys want better visuals, practice!

And there are a few good ways to improve your visualization, but Reisen came up with a method specifically for us/me because I struggle with caring about wonderland or daydream-type stuff, and I hate guided visualizations - https://community.tulpa.info/topic/12634-guided-visualization-but-not-weird/

I've never actually done it though... I really should sometime

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.