I'm at the end of my rope here...

I fly off to the right or left infinitely unless I get up off of it or put in TONS of focus to stop it, and then it will either temporarily stop doing that, or go right back to normal.

Yeah, I know the feel. And since I've always had poor visualization, it was even worse. I have an old habit now of trying to lock things to an axis/anchor point in whatever I visualize. Used to be just to keep my perspective from rolling around in visualization (before creating a wonderland), more recently I've imagined a transparent wall moving on what would be like the X axis through my body to help dissociate for switching. I don't really need any of that anymore, though.

Back in my early tulpamancy w/ visualization days (around when I found this forum and created a wonderland), I'd often spend literally minutes mid-conversation just trying to make my point of view stop rolling off to the side. And every time I was like, "No, this is how it is, and it's not moving." it would just slowly drift some more. I got absolutely sick of fighting it and wasting so much time and effort.

So, I stopped caring. I stopped fighting it. And I don't mean I accepted rolling my head around on the floor when trying to see straight, I just stopped worrying about it. Yeah, I was trying to sit here and have a discussion with Flandre, and now everything's tilted diagonal. Oh well, continuing with the discussion...

There's something called Ironic Process Theory, which can be summed up by "Don't imagine a pink elephant. Don't think about it being really small and standing near a pond." Yeah, good luck with that. Never one to accept susceptibility to psychological tricks, I actually spent some time figuring out how to stop thinking of the polar bear in that article. And eventually I realized, the reason you think about it is because you're thinking about not thinking about it. What you really need to do... is not think about it. That doesn't require any special thought; just move on, continue doing what you were doing. If the image flashes in your mind for a second, so it did, but that's of no importance to you.

And that's exactly how I fixed my visualization problems. I trained myself over time to just completely disregard things I didn't intend to happen, not by fighting or trying to correct them, but by learning to stop acknowledging them. Eventually it becomes an unconscious habit and you don't really have annoying intrusive thoughts anymore. There's no real trick to learning how to do this, aside from catching yourself thinking about what you don't want and thinking about nothing instead. Ignore random spazzes in perception or movement. Don't try to correct them or even think about them being bad, just continue as if they aren't happening, and eventually, they won't be.

I just read the first part of that article without thinking of a white bear, by the way. It's definitely possible to train yourself to do so. But learning to stop thinking about how to not think is pretty tricky.

Also taking a break won't help with invasive thoughts at all if they're a common occurrence. If it's a very specific one, time away may facilitate not thinking about it, but otherwise you're just gonna lose some clarity from lack of practice.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Thanks for helping me out guys.

Luminesce: your right I know, but it is pretty hard I ignore something as in-your-face as the world spinning rapidly from your point of reference, to the point of often becoming an incomprehensible blur. I can try, but when I did I found it so distracting when I tried to have a conversation with Ellisae that it took much longer to even get a simple sentence out.

On the upside, I found out that the only way for me to effectively move around now without the world spinning infinitely, is to fly of all things. I can't touch the ground unless I go to lay down though.