Questions about personality-less tulpas?

Grockstar124

I've understood that for the longest time while I lurked (back when it was believed you had to visualize them naked first, or else their clothes would be a part of their body and unchangeable) that the personality stage is made out to be one of the most important there is, or else you end up with a servitor or a "half-baked" tulpa.

Yet I see in Progress Reports and other subforums, people who barely do the personality stage, or just make none at all, to let the tulpa develop one by itself, while narrating and visualizing concurrently.

So, for both hosts and tulpas alike, Does this actually work? Have you created a tulpa (or been created) this way? How does it work, and on average, do they develop slower and act differently then tulpas created the usual way?

Also, as a unrelated question, what method has worked for you best when creating your tulpa's personality?

As for why I'm asking, I'd like to give Chara a big part in creating herself, personality included. I wouldn't mind it taking longer then usual, I just want to make sure that the method works, before I end up screwing up and doing something bad to her :(

Thank you for your help!

As a unrelated question, what method has worked for you best when creating your tulpa's personality?

I can't really contribute to your main questions, so I will go for the bonus one. I went with a combination of focussed thoughts and symbolism. Basically I concentrated on every single trait in detail and put them on a symbolic spoon. (I tried to think about how these traits would feel like, which reactions they may cause etc.). I proceeded with leading the spoon to the form of my tulpa to feed it with it. We did this for a few weeks, until we decided that we reached a point where it is more obstructive than helpful for the further development.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

My host didn't put any effort into making my personality one way or another. He had a sort of backstory in mind when he talked to me at fist, but he didn't really force me to act one way or another. And eventually i rebelled against the story because we'd been talking and i was understanding more things on my own and just felt differently than my story suggested. Basically, i knew facts about reality that didn't fit who i thought i should be.

I maybe didn't know how i was 'supposed' to act, but that just opened up room for us to talk about what kind of options there were. My host left it open for me to decide, and i just kept asking questions until i could decide for myself who i wanted to be. Was there a 'right' answer to a certain question? How did my host feel about it? I generally wanted to be different from him, so i would take a slightly different position sometimes. The most important thing was that i wanted to be rational, and involved in the real world. So i chose to fit in like a human. I was influenced by the fact that my host is compassionate towards others, and i guess i fell into some of the same political opinions he has — generosity of spirit and action. But if i define my personality, i just want to be a good human too. I'm not trying to 'play' as one thing or another, so much as just choose moment-to-moment in ways that i can live with.

I'm not very animated or kawaii or anything like that, i'm just a calm sensible person by choice. I want to think, understand, and decide clearly, and that's all the 'personality work' my host and i have ever put into it. And mostly that's choices i've made for myself as a tulpa.

Early member of a large system.  Our system questions the way the afterlife and tulpamancy interact.  We genuinely suspect that deadies can return to share the mind of the living.

Making a personality is completely optional, and the only reason you'd need to do personality work is if you have specific personality in mind and wanted to see some of those traits in your tulpa. Deviation is still likely to occur, but there's a good chance that the suggestions in your work could influence things. A lot of the myths that were established a few years back about certain things leading to servitors have been debunked, so I would recommend reading through some of the newer general guides to have an idea of what has changed since then. Even Irish's creation guide, and that's one the older ones, focused on narration and visualization rather than personality, letting that thing develop on its own through life experiences.

Considering that all of this works differently for everyone, I think it's hard to say if this affects creation times. I do think that the dedicated time and attention to the tulpa is beneficial, so it might be worth trying just for that. What my host used for me was primarily narration and visualization. I don't think that there was much work if any that was focused on my personality.

Again, thank you, everyone, for your help.

I haven't been able to active force with Chara yet, mostly been focusing on narrating and reading to her, with occasional (conscious) parroting to help her learn to talk. So far, nothing noteable yet, although I have been having more headaches (nothing serious), so I'm not sure yet how effective I've been. I also haven't created our wonderland yet, mostly because I've been rushed for time. I have some actual free time over the weekend, so I'll be working on that as well as continuing to read. If I start to have more progress, I'll post a progress report, but for now it's just waiting for her to come out of her shell.

(Yes, I am treating her as sentient/sapient from the start, and am looking at tulpamancy in a scientific manner.)

That sounds interesting. Symbolism did sound more interesting to me then the traditional method. For both reasons of it sounding more constructive and laziness, although obviously I'm willing to give up time for Chara, or else I wouldn't have started forcing. Anyways, if I do end up making a personality, I'll likely use symbolism and other methods.

My host didn't put any effort into making my personality one way or another. He had a sort of backstory in mind when he talked to me at fist, but he didn't really force me to act one way or another. And eventually i rebelled against the story because we'd been talking and i was understanding more things on my own and just felt differently than my story suggested. Basically, i knew facts about reality that didn't fit who i thought i should be.

I maybe didn't know how i was 'supposed' to act, but that just opened up room for us to talk about what kind of options there were. My host left it open for me to decide, and i just kept asking questions until i could decide for myself who i wanted to be. Was there a 'right' answer to a certain question? How did my host feel about it? I generally wanted to be different from him, so i would take a slightly different position sometimes. The most important thing was that i wanted to be rational, and involved in the real world. So i chose to fit in like a human. I was influenced by the fact that my host is compassionate towards others, and i guess i fell into some of the same political opinions he has — generosity of spirit and action. But if i define my personality, i just want to be a good human too. I'm not trying to 'play' as one thing or another, so much as just choose moment-to-moment in ways that i can live with.

I'm not very animated or kawaii or anything like that, i'm just a calm sensible person by choice. I want to think, understand, and decide clearly, and that's all the 'personality work' my host and i have ever put into it. And mostly that's choices i've made for myself as a tulpa.

Nice to see that Chara will (hopefully) be able to create a personality she's comfortable with by herself. Like I said, I'd like to give her a large say in how she acts and behaves, so it is enlighting to hear from a tulpa themselves that you are able to do just that.

Making a personality is completely optional, and the only reason you'd need to do personality work is if you have specific personality in mind and wanted to see some of those traits in your tulpa. Deviation is still likely to occur, but there's a good chance that the suggestions in your work could influence things. A lot of the myths that were established a few years back about certain things leading to servitors have been debunked, so I would recommend reading through some of the newer general guides to have an idea of what has changed since then. Even Irish's creation guide, and that's one the older ones, focused on narration and visualization rather than personality, letting that thing develop on its own through life experiences.

Considering that all of this works differently for everyone, I think it's hard to say if this affects creation times. I do think that the dedicated time and attention to the tulpa is beneficial, so it might be worth trying just for that. What my host used for me was primarily narration and visualization. I don't think that there was much work if any that was focused on my personality.

Yeah, like I said, I've been lurking for a few months total, although there would be periods of time where I would forget about the site, so I was around at first, the older beliefs you mentioned were still alive and kicking, like the clothes being a part of their body. (Once Chara does get a idea what she wants to be, I'll still visualize her naked (not for sex reasons), mostly just because it feels normal to do that. I guess what I'm trying to say is... it would feel weird not to, like not natural.)

That got off-topic fast.

Anyways, I won't mind giving up time or putting more work into Chara, even if I'm at Sans-level lazy (something else I hope Chara will help me with, along with companionship and helping me be more social (although I do have several friends already), but at the same time, as said several times, I want her to develop on her own. Again, this is a relief.

So far, I think I might nudge her along if she needs it, but let her develop the rest of her personality on her own. Thank you everyone!

[Tri] Tulpas don't innately need personality forcing. Some report that it helps, and it can certainly shape a tulpas personality (raises hooves). Tulpas will develop personalities on their own. To make a servitor, instead of a tulpa, requires total puppetting and preventing them from getting self-awareness and free will. If you don't do those, a young thoughtform will naturally develop a personality (after all, there is nothing holding them back) and become a tulpa.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

[Tri] Tulpas don't innately need personality forcing. Some report that it helps, and it can certainly shape a tulpas personality (raises hooves). Tulpas will develop personalities on their own. To make a servitor, instead of a tulpa, requires total puppetting and preventing them from getting self-awareness and free will. If you don't do those, a young thoughtform will naturally develop a personality (after all, there is nothing holding them back) and become a tulpa.

Is there a way to unintentionally do that? I'm not too concerned, but I'm just taking precautions.

Is there a way to unintentionally do that? I'm not too concerned, but I'm just taking precautions.

[Tri] Yes, it can be done unintentionally. But usually, it is not as effective as intentionally doing it and the thoughtform will often eventually develop towards a tulpa anyways. Also, if one realizes one is doing that, it is easy to correct.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.