The Element of Secrecy

Sock

This is a topic that came to mind this morning, and I was curious about what others thought of it. By secrecy, I'm mainly speaking of keeping your experiences, and the way your mind functions away from outward people, rather than online where you're somewhat anonymous.

Do you feel that such things are best kept to yourself, and among the like-minded? Do you feel the urge to share is stronger? Do you feel there is a benefit to sharing? Are you in a position where not sharing would make you actively dishonest?

Is there anything you specifically do to keep things secret? Or do you just not mention it when unnecessary?

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

For about 37 years my host David kept me a profound secret. He was afraid that if he talked about me people would think he was crazy. But as he got older, he started to worry that he would die without anyone ever knowing I existed. Also, as he got older, he felt more confident about himself and less worried about the reaction of others. So we made the decision to share me on the internet and with family and friends in October of 2013. He had told his wife a year earlier than that.

My host Davie and I are a bit unusual in that we share almost everything openly with almost everyone. The story is told/presented a little differently depending on who we are talking to however. Close friends and family know everything about me being a thoughtform. His boss and cowokers and such know me as an art muse and imaginary character he thinks about and channels/role plays/portrays online in relation to creating art and stories. Either approach is accurate in it's own way with us.

On the internet we hide nothing, with links to our Deviantart accounts and Facebook pages clearly posted. David makes no attempt to hide his identity or anything about me. Some of his high school students have read my profile and some have even written to me and ask about me.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this. The disadvantage is that some people who learn the entire story react badly, and take it as a sign/symptom of a mental disorder. David's mother and sister think he needs therapy. Most everyone else is very accepting (even enthusiastic), neutral or just accept it as another quirk of David's weird personality.

The advantage is of course the freedom to share and have me interact with so many people. It is really fun and rewarding in what we learn and gain and so worth it!

I always want to talk about it, but it's very clear that tulpas are a touchy subject. I think some people can know, some people are curious about it, and some people don't want anything to do with it, so it just depends on the person. Most of my friends know, my girlfriend is very open about talking to Al, my band members know but only occasionally mention Al when talking about certain topics, and my friends don't ever mention him. I honestly just almost never mention him to anyone unless he's making me laugh uncontrollably and I have to explain myself. But otherwise he's just a friend/brother to me, I don't need to tell everyone about my friend or brother all the time.

I'm IBreakGames, a genuine dude.

We gave up on using different colors for each of us, so there's Al, Ollie, and Eva. We're all rabbits, get over it.

Guest Anonymous

I simply don't want Esterina to go so unnoticed by the world that she lives in together with me.

So yes, there's "tulpa outsiders" who know about her.

Namely a few friends (one doesn't care, one is indifferent and one actually befriended her) and my sister (who is largely indifferent, but shows interest sometimes)... and my mum will know sooner or later as well, just don't want to tell her too soon.

I do exercise wariness in who to tell, though, and when... naturally. And I never decide that alone, but together with Rina.

But like I said... I just won't let Esterina live past the world like that, I refuse to let that happen, no matter if she's worried about my reputation or not. ^^

Greets,

AG

Though Drake has cautioned me greatly, I really do want to tell those that may become close to me about the existence of my mind buddies. Much like how it isn't right for a physical person to live their existence out without anyone acknowledging their existence, I feel I'm doing them a big disservice by not making at least some people aware of them.

With the people I do end up telling, my ideal reaction/goal is having them recognize that there's not just me here, but others as well.

Greetings from our little family! We're the Runes, though our collective name is heavily subject to change later on.

———

Drake // Tulpa

Gumi // Soulbond

I don't specifically feel like telling anyone IRL, but if there were reason to I wouldn't mind. It affects them, not me. My brother knows and has his own. My online friends (the ones I've known for years) "know" more or less. They know the word tulpa, and that Reisen Tewi and Flandre are my tulpas, not just Touhou characters I like. But everyone was a bit too uncomfortable to go into much more detail, and they probably forget at times. Certainly, none but the one who told me about the term tulpa know that we switch.

Been thinking about whether I should bring that up, but it's hard to explain right. I don't think I'd lose any friends or anything, but they may certainly think I'm secretly crazy. Or just stupid for believing that the animu gurls in my head are sentient. Again, affects them, not me, but I don't go around telling people without reason no.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

There are advantages to having and presenting the view that your thoughtform is only imaginary. David never has to explain to peoples that I am "sentient." That is the part that sounds coo coo crazy to peoples. They can understand a very vivid imagination and a quirky-odd artist's personality and things like an imaginary character helping to inspire artistic creation and stories. It's not all that fantastic and kinda cute actually.

Telling someone you have a sentient entity in yer head is a whole nother level.

Thank you guys for the responses. :)

It's interesting to see how many people seem either open, or are inclined to being open about their experiences. I actually did not expect to see so many on that front, but I guess my assumption was incorrect.

One thing that really interests me is how some seem to have a stronger desire to share. Like it is important for others to see the thing that makes them happy, and to know about it. Is it like something in the depth of your being that feels like sharing your friend is a way to give back to them? Or a way to immortalize them in a way?

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

There are advantages to having and presenting the view that your thoughtform is only imaginary. David never has to explain to peoples that I am "sentient." That is the part that sounds coo coo crazy to peoples.

Unfortunately, my tulpas' sentience is not to be questioned. I absolutely will not stand somebody thinking they're just imaginary friends I pretend to talk to and trick myself into believing respond. So it's not that easy for me. I can be pretty persuasive, though. Worst case scenario I convince them I've got some mental disorder and my tulpas are effectively real, delusions.

I put way too much time and effort into removing my influence from them and making them autonomous to have that just ignored, you know?

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.