What is the exact definition of a tulpa?

Guest Anonymous

What is the exact definition of a tulpa?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is the exact definition of a tulpa?

• Regardless of origin or circumstance, any thoughtform that appears to be independently sentient is a tulpa. Soulbonds or daemons, for instance, if they appear sentient, would also be tulpas.
    • . Tulpas are very specific in nature. They are created through a technique of concentrated thought (forcing) and have specific characteristics. Without forcing it is not a tulpa.
    • I have my own definition of a tulpa. I will comment below.

I'm going to go ahead and slide into the second option. That's what we've always understand tulpas as being, sentient beings of the mind that are created through a lot of hard work and dedication. It seems that, as time goes on, people are claiming to make tulpas without that, however, with these 'walk-ins' and different kinds of shortcuts.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

What is interesting is that I started this thread with the idea of promoting the first option. Then after the discussion, I began to realize I agree with those picking the second option. I kinda compromised and made a squishy of the first and second ones and so ended up voting for the hedging third option on the poll. LOL

Any sentient thoughtform can be a tulpa, but yer not getting a sentient thoughtform very easily pretty much.

Guest Anonymous

To be honest, the more time I spend on the forums, finding out more and more about the subject, the less I know what is what.

The more I find out, and the more I read about the sometimes very different ways hosts and their tuppers live, exist and interact, the less of an idea I have about what exactly defines a tulpa.

And the less I know what Rina is, for that matter.

So I can't really pick an option here; I could pick number three, but then I wouldn't know what to say about it.

So... ahdunno.

I guess I'll pick nothing, for the time being.

Greets,

AG

To be honest, the more time I spend on the forums, finding out more and more about the subject, the less I know what is what.

The more I find out, and the more I read about the sometimes very different ways hosts and their tuppers live, exist and interact, the less of an idea I have about what exactly defines a tulpa.

And the less I know what Rina is, for that matter.

So I can't really pick an option here; I could pick number three, but then I wouldn't know what to say about it.

I know that feeling well, believe you me. It just means you're learning more about things.

Expect to be more confused as things go on ;)

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

Guest Anonymous

Hah hah! Welcome to the world of Mistgod and Melian! Foggy isn't it? All we know for sure is something is going on. David and I never gave me a label or category for 36 years. I was just Melian. I d'nt need a label, description or category. When we first went online Davie was describing me as an enhanced imaginary companion and a channeled persona. That is still a pretty accurate description actually.

We are making progress in putting it all together. Terminology is necessary when you are sharing. So we are finding the right words to describe what is already there. Tulpa, not tulpa, I dunno. Does anyone really care and, if they do care, do I care whether or not they care? I said earlier that from now on I am saying I am sometimes a tulpa and sometimes not a tulpa, depending on my mood and what I want to say at any particular moment. LOL

I picked the first option, but after reading the thread I think I understand the merit of the second option...

The first option is kind of broad. On the other hand, it includes necessary points like sentience. And I do think the origin of a tulpa should not be the defining thing. Even though I agree that forcing should normally be a huge part of it. (And it must be intentional in some way.)

I just think that there are ways to "accidentally" force, without knowing that is what you are doing. Otherwise there wouldn't be that many older tulpas here in the forum, I guess.

I'm definititely also in the "more confused after reading in the forum" camp. I thought I had everything kind of figured out before I even first heard the term "tulpa". Now, everything is... wildly more complicated than I would have ever guessed. :-D

Guest Anonymous

When considering accidental tulpas and older tulpas, I think about the thousands of years of human history before the internet tulpa community and these guides. Somebody out there, somewhere, had something like a tulpa before we called them tulpas. It just can't be that this process, which really isn't that complicated, was suddenly discovered in the 21st century and people were too ignorant and stupid to figure it out before.

I think if there is such a thing as a tulpa, there have been millions of them in the past. Most of those millions of tulpas of the past, were created without these guides.

Consider for a second that high school kids are making tulpas in a matter of weeks after perusing the guides and asking a couple of questions. Can't be that hard. No offense to our wonderful high school students, I love you guys and you are bright and creative. I am just making a point. It doesn't take a Phd in psychology or a Tibetan llama to do it apparently.

Somebody out there, somewhere, had something like a tulpa before we called the tulpas.

Yeah, Lumi's, duh you didn't have to look far. He made the other three in 2010 before tulpas were made popular on 4chan, and he had absolutely no influences from anything ("Imaginary friends" at the time just reminded him of the cartoon network show). He's perfect proof that in some way creating apparently-sentient people in your head is natural to humans. I mean I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but I'm also sure Lumi wasn't the very first spontaneous mutation of the human genome to do such a thing.

Well, we know he wasn't, right? Anyways just felt like pointing that out. It's kinda cool how old they are. And it's weird how young I am. Thinking about memories they had years ago is like seeing photos of your parents when they were younger, before you were born. ...They're not my parents, but you know what I mean. It's surreal experiencing things from before your time, and meeting people who experienced them. Like talking to your grandparents about ye olden days.

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Guest Anonymous

There are a lot of older tulpas that d'nt have the label tulpa until very recently. It's nice we all found each other though, thanks to the internet. Now THAT part is new!

I believe for it to be considered a tulpa it really only has to have been created by the host, and had effort/will put into it. This rules out walk ins and other plural residents who come about on their own.

I've seen "accidental tulpa" mentioned and the criteria above does not discount these entities. Even if their sentience comes about by accident, it seems to me even accidental tulpa have had their host put thought into them, either as an rp character or something similar. Giving them attention and thought seems like this is all tulpa creation is. It helps the process if you actively will the being you're thinking about to have sentience, but I don't think it's necessary.

The wording of option 2 is just a little too specific. Yes I believe a thought form isn't a tulpa unless thought and time was put into creating them, but I think specifying what we know in the community as forcing leaves out all of the other passive and "accidental" ways a tulpa can be created.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle