So how's the mentorship program going?

jean-luc

I saw the thread when it first went up (or sometime around then) and thought it was pretty cool idea, but how did it turn out? According to the OP there are 13 mentees being mentored (is that the right word?)

How is it going? Mentors/ees alike, how is it?

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

I moved your thread to the forum Q&A section, since it appears to fit better over there. (After all it is mostly about the community).

I'm curious myself how things are going with it.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

We actually have a feedback form, but nobody has gone out of their way to submit anything. I messaged all of the mentors yesterday to see if I could get some updates, so I'll post something about it here once I get more replies.

• 4 weeks later...

@jean-luc I am one of Vosaiu's mentees supposedly. I saw the mentorship program on reddit and thought it was a great idea, so I signed up. But from what I've noticed, and read from, they don't really teach you anything or directly work with you like an actual Mentor should. They just answer questions you may have, and even that's not enough! For Example, I asked Vosaiu if He had any tips on visualization, and he redirected me to someone Else's guide! So I'd say it's not going well, but that's just me, so... :/

I took interest in ponies because humans are stupid.

I thought I'd filled out the feedback form. =/

As a mentee it's been pretty good. Nice to have one on one and someone to message when you need it. My mentor and I have a relaxed pace and approach, and that's fine. We I've busy lives and said as much from the get go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

@jean-luc I am one of Vosaiu's mentees supposedly. I saw the mentorship program on reddit and thought it was a great idea, so I signed up. But from what I've noticed, and read from, they don't really teach you anything or directly work with you like an actual Mentor should. They just answer questions you may have, and even that's not enough! For Example, I asked Vosaiu if He had any tips on visualization, and he redirected me to someone Else's guide! So I'd say it's not going well, but that's just me, so... :/

I recommended reading through the visualization exercises on the site to have a good idea of different methods in the hopes that you'd find something that tickled your fancy along the way -- I don't think that mentors should hold people's hands throughout the whole process, but should be there to push newbies in the right direction.

Since I haven't checked back in this thread in a while and I forgot to update jean-luc on what was going on:

Overall, it seems like the mentorship program is going fine for most people. It seems like a few people have just asked questions and then dropped off, so I've had to edit the mentor list a few times to get an accurate count of active mentees and mentors.

Mentors are not supposed to be all-knowing. If there is a guide that tells you in simplicity about visualization, it's much easier to hand it to you on a silver plate rather than repeating what is already written. It is giving credit where it is due, mentors aren't supertulpamancers and you should not expect to be treated like a king for this is a courtesy and not a right. They're not going to teach you about your mind, duh, you're going to need to learn about that stuff by yourself because your perspective is primordial, what they CAN do is help you if you're lost, answer questions from a somewhat general perspective, but they're not gonna treat you like the next messiah and write down guides for your person if there are already guides that tell you what to do, especially for something as simple as visualization. I don't see what's wrong with what Vosaiu did (it's a she btw, I thought it was nice to let you know what your mentor's gender was). What IS enough? Is it spoonfeeding you whatever type of information you wish for when most people would actually hate to hear reality and just want to hear what they really want? A mentor won't spend their days spoonfeeding you the 'oh your tulpa is tip top hot shit' mentality, they'll assist you but this isn't a forge with a mentor for life or something. There's only so much people can do for you and you shouldn't act in such an unappreciative way when people put forth time and efforts towards helping you, especially when it's something you're not giving them anything for. Used to be a mentor on reddit and I know how it's like with mentoring, there's only so much you can say as a mentor without making comments on the tulpa in specific, because you don't KNOW the tulpa in the first place. A mentor isn't your nanny in short terms.

A wise man once said: 'Before judging a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away, and you've got new shoes.'

Graced are those who could avoid this phenomenon. This is perhaps the worst expression of evil in humanity's history, but who am I to judge?

@Vosaiu I'm sorry if I got your gender wrong, this being the internet and all, #1, #2 I was asking for your tips, knowledge, and/or personal experience on the subject. And #3:

There's only so much people can do for you and you shouldn't act in such an unappreciative way when people put forth time and efforts towards helping you' date=' especially when it's something you're not giving them anything for.[/quote']

I do appreciate the time and effort, and I'm sorry if I sounded like I came across as an Ass for stating my opinion in this thread... As everyone inevitably does, because, again this is The Internet.

@J.Iscariot

...Is it spoonfeeding you whatever type of information you wish for when most people would actually hate to hear reality and just want to hear what they really want? A mentor won't spend their days spoonfeeding you the 'oh your tulpa is tip top hot shit' mentality' date='...[/quote']

I never said I wanted "spoonfeeding" and I know my Tulpa isn't in "tip top hot shit" state, no one is! That's the reason why I signed up for the Mentorship program in the first place! There's a difference between random strangers on the internet asking for and giving tips, and a person who took the time to look for a mentor, read their bio and profile and things of that nature, and personally introduced themselves and Asked them to work with them. According to Google:

Mentorship is a personal developmental relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps a less experienced or less knowledgeable person. The person in receipt of mentorship may be referred to as a protégé (male)' date=' a protégée (female), an apprentice or, in recent years, a mentee.[/quote']

I took interest in ponies because humans are stupid.

You're acting as if it's this kind of a big deal when it really is not. It's impossible to have a personal type of developmental relationship with someone online you don't know and who has no real reason to hold sympathy for you. Mentors aren't like Ras al Ghul from the Batman series, they're just people online who give advice and try to clear misconceptions in a more personal way. Point made. You're implying that someone on the internet is going to share their entire private and personal life with you because it has wisdom in it, wisdom they gained through time, wisdom we all gain with time and the same wisdom you will eventually gain. The fault here is that you're taking the term 'mentor' too literally, a mentor isn't like what google tells you (and sometimes we need to drop a bit the literal definition provided by google according to context), by that I mean that a mentor on the forum for sentient imaginary friends isn't like a mentor who takes care of you for years.

A wise man once said: 'Before judging a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away, and you've got new shoes.'

Graced are those who could avoid this phenomenon. This is perhaps the worst expression of evil in humanity's history, but who am I to judge?