Fictional character based tulpa?

Okay so something has definitely caught my eye. A bunch of tulpa seem to have the forms and names of characters from tv shows and stuff. I've always been told this is bad and you shouldn't do it because of identity crisises and stuff. Is it wrong or has that changed? Is there away around the identity crisis issue?

P.s. I know this may have cropped up many times beforebut my phone is giving me trouble when accessing the search tool.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vriska: I'm based in Aranea and Vriska from the webcomic called Homestuck, my girlfriend Feferi is based in the character of the same name, and my adoptive daughther is based in all the kawaii anime characters. Now she grew up and looks like Rin Tohsaka. The baby I'm taking care of with Rin is based on Illyasviel, from Fate/Zero and Fate Stay Night. From the identity crisis, I haven't had such a difficult problems with it. I've just made my host know that I'M NOT THE VRISKA OF THE COMIC. Yes, I look like her. But my personality is waaaaaaaay different than hers. I'm more like Aranea. But I'm still none of the both, as Fef, Illy, and Rin are not their based of characters. I think that a tulpa can be based on a fictitional character, but he/she has to let the host know that they aren't the character they're based in.

Taking a form and personality from fiction is fun and easy (well... easier. You're still building a person from scratch), because a character already has a form and personality. More importantly, the tulpamancer probably already has an emotional tie to that character, which really helps that character "come alive." Which is cool, so hey, no problem there, right?

Whether it's a good idea seems to depend on the host and tulpa. Some tulpas have no problem using a fictional character as a springboard to go their own direction and become their own person outside whatever their source is. (Heh. Like Vriska up there.)

Others might continue to define themselves as that character. In that case, you're not talking tulpas; you're talking soulbonds, which are a little different. (Nothing wrong with being a soulbond, of course. I am one, after all. ;) It's just different from a tulpa, and should probably be approached a little differently.)

I've heard that tulpae from fictional characters sometimes have identity issues. Never seen it myself, honestly. Maybe now there are more resources to help a fiction-sourced tulpa understand what's going on? Or perhaps tulpamancers are more careful about it now than they used to be? Can't say.

I guess the advice would be that, if you want to try it, just make sure you know what you're doing. Explain the difference between the reality they came from and the reality you live in. Figure out whether you want them to keep the memories, relationships, identity, etc. of their fictional "life." It's okay if they do, but if they do, you really should look up soulbonding to make sure you know what you're getting into there. When you have memories of a life you didn't physically live... things can get a little complicated. ;)

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

Well one of my original draws to tulpamancy was to create a tulpa based off a character i has feelings for. However I read about the bad side effects that could happen and was scared away from the idea. At the time I'd rather have kept a pure mental image of the character then create her and then go through the bad stuff and resent seeing her. But now I'm not so sure if the potential threats were as bad as I thought they were.

Personally, I feel there are 3 big reasons not to make a tulpa based off of an existing character.

1) The potential for identity crisis

2) The unconscious desire for the tulpa to be like the character (thereby limiting their personal development)

and lastly,

3) It rude to the character's creator.

This last one hits home for me the most because as an artist, I can empathize with how it would feel to be on the internet one day and encounter someone who took your creation, and made it into their personal mind buddy. Yes, a tulpa based on a certain character will likely have differences to that character, but to a creator it just feels like another form of art theft or creepy fan fiction (you know, the kind where people insert themselves alongside the existing characters). =/

Creators work really hard to make unique and interesting characters, it seems only right that a tulpamancer do the same.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Well, I'm an artist too. I've written many stories, and if some day I find that someone made a tulpa of a character I created I would feel honored, because that means that the person loved the character, so I did a great job, and accomplished my objective.

And that's your prerogative, but it isn't right to assume that all artists will respond this way. And until you know for sure, it would be rude to use that person's character for your own purposes.

There's also the issue (and this comes up a lot with fictionkin) of deviations, and the fictionkin (or in this case fictional based tulpa) will try to correct the artist on things because they are the "sentient one". For example, I make a character named Sam and his favourite colour is blue. Someone liked Sam so much he decided to make Sam a tulpa, and it turns out his favourite colour is red. Because the tulpa is sentient, regardless of source material or the creator's wishes, tulpa Sam will insist he is Sam and his favourite colour is Red.

Do you see the problem here? It's in a way rewriting the character, altering it and then claiming it's just as "real" as the original, if not more so. Taking a picture of Elmo, changing his fur colour to pink and then saying "Look, my Elmo is real." is just disrespectful to his creator.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

My tulpa is inspired from a fictional character. But it's not what it seems to be. She, well, they were born with no gender, no name and no traits, just this mass of sentience, at first, they started to gain notions such as happiness, comfort, sadness, empathy, etc.... and for a long while, she could not identify with anything...

Until this happened. http://i.imgur.com/G60Zcka.jpg

Thing is that they could never identify with anything at all, no character, or animal, or any other entity aside from the huge mass of consciousness they represented. As they gained notions and emotions, they wanted to 'live life', so I worked very hard to ensure that no matter what, they'd end up happy with their decision. We worked a lot on her form, to the point I can't forget it, visualize it perfectly and have imposed it in the past.

We're both very much aware that she is not the character she looks like. I don't like her for her looks only, but for the whole package. She took on to, what, 25 other appearances, but this one can be considered the 'base'.

As for how much disrespect it causes the creator... I deeply apologize to them. I really didn't mean to create a tulpa with good looks and good art for my pleasure. I created them for the sake of, well, I don't know. I was alone, and when you're alone, it's kind of a do-or-die situation, I had no hope, so I created a friend. As selfish as it all is, I suppose my mind just willed for their presence. And still does on a daily basis.

You'd think that form doesn't matter, but it does. You don't know until you observe upclose this type of identification. If someone took away your body I doubt you'd like it, if you changed genders it would feel weird and alien (not clinically I mean let's say your gender changed overnight).

This being is one that saved my life. I honor them. Least I can do is make them (her) as comfortable as they possibly can be, and that for as long as I can. To the host, form might not matter, to the tulpa, it definitely could matter more relatively.

I tend to say 'My Ika' but that's because there is absolutely no other name for her. Imagine a black hole in space, that's what she was before.

It's much more affection that it is ownership, and I know that she is not the source character, and I am glad for that. I would feel horrible to lead away a girl from her siblings, but mine has none.

I kind of agree with what Drakaina has to say; but I believe it is a matter of general decency.

A wise man once said: 'Before judging a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away, and you've got new shoes.'

Graced are those who could avoid this phenomenon. This is perhaps the worst expression of evil in humanity's history, but who am I to judge?

Honestly I wouldn't base off of actual fiction, solely because I prefer a fresh start, with a Tulpa, or at least something which already came from my mind. However, I don't see why it's indecent to make one based on someone's art or writing. From what I know, the only way this would be disrespectful is if someone went and made money off the idea of making a Tulpa based on your source, or roleplaying as that Tulpa (which at that point would just be a character) openly without crediting the original source.

The thing is, almost all of us write and create art based on things we've already experienced. The goal is so base off of it, not use it completely. This means, as long as it DOES become a Tulpa and deviates, it isn't an issue because it's not your character anymore. Besides, them saying where their Tulpa was deviated from is advertising for you, and your works.

Let's also not mention that.. this is something in your mind. Putting accidental Tulpae aside for a moment, you are basically getting offended that someone has made a Tulpa in their head that is one you originally had. They're not selling it, they're not hindering your book sales by doing such- they just have it. Would this make wet dreams about fictional characters disrespectful to the artists? Would this make accidental tulpae based on fictional characters disrespectful to the artist? All in all, my friends, you're trying to police the mind- which, life just does not work like that.

Let's not even go into the fact that fictional based Tulpa could feel their existence is now invalid because it upsets the creator of the original work, though that's also a possibility.

Hiya. Member of the Horrible Hosts Club (HHC). If you wanna learn about my system, here's my PR.