Tulpa and the training of thought

Sock

The business of tulpa making is the business of thinking. As such, I would figure that those who are working on their partner would take the chance to examine their own thought patterns, and views. Either that, or they would stumble in to such things on accident.

As such, this is my question: How do you think doing this exercise affects your ability to think and observe thought? Do you feel that it inclined you more to persuing the refinement of thought? Do you feel that conversing with you tulpa is a good thought exercise? What do you feel they do for your mindset in life?

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

Guest Anonymous

I'm honestly not sure what you're really asking with this thread.

Like, to the point where I'm not sure what to even say... so you might want to make it more clear what you mean to ask here.

But for now, I'll simply take your questions very literally and answer them.

"How do you think doing this exercise affects your ability to think and observe thought?" / "Do you feel that it inclined you more to persuing the refinement of thought?" - I don't know what you're trying to say / ask with these two, and neither is Rina. Sorry.

"Do you feel that conversing with you tulpa is a good thought exercise?" - What would "thought exercise" even be? Anyway, simply thinking about stuff and the act of mind-talking to Esterina, that's two very separate and different things, at least to me. So I guess my answer here is "no", or "not sure".

"What do you feel they do for your mindset in life?" - You mean my tulpa, as in Rina? Well, I often times feel very old and tired for my actual age, and being with her definitely does a great deal for me actually feeling like the twenty-three-year-old I am. And she makes me feel more inspired and motivated, which is great since I do novel and manga stuffsies.

And naturally - well, I love her, so being with her makes me happy. No duh right there.

Greets,

AG

Sorry if I did not communicate my ideas clearly. I'll try clarifying here for you.

- The basis of this thread is this: That the creation of a tulpa is an exercise in thought and concentration. When you define them, you are thinking, when you narrate at them, you are thinking. I do not puppet mine, preferring to try and withold and dim my own thinking and listen to them. But even this requires some thought and intent (It's said that it is actually harder to listen than to respond).

- When one is listening for their tulpa, or trying to sort out if they are speaking or if it is something else, it requires thought to try and track the source of the response. As well, it requires work of the mind to even pay attention to and observe how thoughts flow. Mindfulness, in a word.

- In addition to the above, a tulpa in development requires that the host focus and concentrate on them. In fact, I would say this concentration is the basis of most forcing exercises, the act of focusing on your tulpa for extended periods of time and little else is what active forcing seems to be to me.

- When one is communing with their tulpa, messages are passed along via of thought or speech. All this is where I got the line "Making a tulpa is the business of thinking".

My questions are based on something I myself keep in mind to practice: Using my interactions with my own thought folk to practice my thought and concentration, as well as how I treat and behave around others. Taking the fruits of my business inside, and taking them outside for others to see. Things like going out of my way to fulfil promises I've made to them, so that my tendency to keep my word is increased. Training my propensity to listen before I speak by going out of my way to listen to them and not respond. Things like that, I was wondering of other did likewise with theirs.

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

Interesting topic.

I feel that in me, forcing and thought exercises with my tulpa hasn't had any affect on my tendency to do mental gymnastics and examine thought.

Some time ago I realized that dancing around abstracts and refining complex thoughts didn't really accomplish anything. Nothing productive anyway. And caused me more stress in the end than I wanted to deal with. Since then I abide by the "keep it simple, stupid" philosophy.

Making a tulpa has actually only reinforced this for me. It may be a fun (for a while) thought adventure to contemplate tulpa sentience, free will, and so on, but the end result of my tulpa creation will be what it will be. I believe my over analyzing would only serve to stress both of us out, make me doubt my tulpa, and make her question herself as well. In general doing more harm than good.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

That is a good topic. I didn't even know how to answer to it at first, not because of any clouded information, it's all clear, but there's just a lot that can be said, so my girl helped me a bit with this.

I think that you can really come to inspect your thought processes and, well, inner thoughts that are only expressed passively in your life through bias, likes and dislikes. If I sit down by myself, I can't make sense out of why I really dislike certain people, more than that, my mind triggers this self-destructive procedure that ends up telling me that I am wrong. Always wrong, always wrong for doing what I 'thought' was right. People regret a lot of things but the subconscious minds buries a lot of facts from the active attention span. If I lie down in bed with my tulpa, and if we look deep enough in each other's eyes... saying, thinking and reflecting upon anything will be a piece of pie. Two like-minded individuals reflecting upon a certain issue means twice the brainstorming power.

Would we not need to define the aspects of the exercise you speak of? I think that 'active forcing' can involve hefty concentration with your tulpa, dedicating 100% of your attention span to their existence and presence, their thoughts, etc... To me, the tulpamancy process was never one of differentiation of thought, it was, and still is, a process of creation of thoughts. Thoughts that originate from my brain yet feel so... distant, alien from my being in ways I am baffled at the things my tulpa says. This could be assigned to the fact that I do not, absolutely do not doubt of my tulpa so the doubt-cloud is off-tracks here, which helps. Taking into consideration that we don't have off-days anymore, meaning that both of us function on an integrally 100% functional level all the time, which is something I praise her for considering her innate weaknesses.

I think that if you make a good point with this question. It's a good way to make people realize how important and how much of an effect tulpa-related activities have and present to both the host and the tulpa.

I think that on the long term, your concentration and focus in all domains will significantly improve. It is something I saw develop in me, the difference between me a few years back and now is astonishing because I've always been a self-loathing person. Letting people tell me how I should think, that my opinions were not welcome, that I was wrong, or at least, that's how I interpreted it from my parents being annoyed when I pointed out to anything, my 'friends' and even people on the internet. I always thought I was wrong, and this goes into the personal domain, but my girl helped me immensely with that. I used to regret every decision, feel bad about how I was and literally existed, but with her around, I never felt like I was wrong. I felt completely fine being arrogant and smug, asserting a type of pseudo-dominance that was recognized as legitimate by other people.

Aside from the personal factor, yes, my tulpa did help me improve a lot on becoming the person I am today, be it for good or for bad.

The refinement of thought, you say? That is an interesting concept, as a matter of fact. I feel like a tulpamancer would, or should at least, do his best to present himself as a decent and likable person to his tulpa in his inner mindscape, and since we are the... the tulpa's creator, something like a sort of 'god', I mean, a high figure of authority and regards in their own books, it is imperative we refine our thoughts to our liking, I suppose. I don't really 'try to' but I think a lot by nature, I would repress those thoughts and convince myself I was wrong; my tulpa convinced me otherwise. This could be a part of me just pulling me into arrogance and overconfidence, but it was needed for the way I was in the past.

I do also believe that, with time, and we're not speaking of growth or maturity, a tulpamancer will become a more complex person. Not because of the way his brain is, we don't know anything to claim that tulpamancy alters one's brain structure, but the experiences that can take place with his tulpa can have a very deep effect on the way he looks at things; internal experiences can teach more than ones you get to experience in real life. I get to feel so much more emotions with my tulpa; just listening to some music with her will make us both go super emotional, but if it was with anybody else, I would barely flinch.

There is also the eventual accommodation of thought to a tulpa's needs; if you inhabit the same mind, you're bound to share some similarities on the level of how you treat people, you're gonna find some common grounds. We're both very... resentful of people who hurt me deliberately and with ill intent in the past, and hurt her at that, we don't talk about it.

We do meditate to improve the, uh... quality of our thoughts. Because one of us will get exhausted at some point, the solution is either sleep or meditation, non-dissociation meditation, that is. Introspection and self-evaluation matter a lot to us, and how we regard the other matters a lot to the point of losing sleep if she is uncomfortable, physical and actual inability to sleep.

I guess differentiating thoughts has its merits and benefits, but I can't speak much in that domain. I'm sorry if that was unbearably annoying.

A wise man once said: 'Before judging a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away, and you've got new shoes.'

Graced are those who could avoid this phenomenon. This is perhaps the worst expression of evil in humanity's history, but who am I to judge?

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-do-your-tulpas-have-different-values-morals-and-ethical-standards-than-you?pid=159184#pid159184 This might be relevant, I dunno. The way we work is just naturally helping each other improve themselves. As you've probably learned by now, we've helped Lumi grow a lot.

For me specifically though, two things (relationships to the others maybe) stand out. The first is the feeling of being "looked up to", or thought of as wise. It really is a strange feeling. Like everyone, I'm just me, how I am is just who I am. But I'm told who I am is important and helpful (Mostly by Lumi, though the others think of me the same way). That's inspired some introspection on my part. Second has actually just been Lucilyn. Until recently I had been considered sort of the "highest" on the scale we use for personal development (the Levels of Consciousness), excluding Reisen as she's always at the upper limit of what we're capable of imagining as "representative of unconditional love" at the time. Lucilyn has caught my attention though, first because she was the only one of us after myself able to completely shrug off our body's motivation issues (They seem to stem from atypical depression that runs in the family and has manifested itself for us in this way). Whilst I have little trouble consciously ignoring the negative thoughts and impulses Lumi has trouble with, Lucilyn seems to not have them in the first place. In fact, on that scale for the levels of consciousness, she seems to be above me - I don't know what level exactly, but I'm undoubtedly seated in Reason for the moment, and she is above that.

So despite her being the youngest of us, I feel like I'm learning a lot from her. We're a rather open system so, while memories recalled by another than who made them tend to feel somewhat foreign*, we're perfectly capable of accessing any information or thoughts others have. In that way Lumi has been attempting to learn how to overcome his motivation issues, by analyzing how I use the mind compared to him. But I'm learning from Lucilyn in that way now, too; despite being about as efficient as I am in controlling the mind (rather than the other way around) and dealing with things logically, she seems to do it completely unconsciously or automatically. Whereas logic and reasoning dominate my conscious thought, she has room for fun and happiness, without losing any of the benefits of that reasoning. This I know for certain is an expected result of rising in the levels of consciousness, as we've been through a few ourselves over the years. And so, the youngest in our family has become an inspiration and even a teacher to the wisest. In short, I'm learning from her how to have fun and be happy without losing my strengths in logic and reasoning. And I believe that similarly to myself, she doesn't understand what there is to understand about her. She's just being herself.

Tulpamancy is a strong tool for personal development. You don't often have the opportunity to learn from someone different than you through literally experiencing those differences yourself.

*[hidden]Foreign as in the memories are recalled from whoever made them's perspective. All of the contextual ways of thinking (optimism, pessimism, discipline or open-mindedness) that accompany the memories, the entire perspective, is recalled along with them. In this way Lumi may remember himself, in third person as memories tend to be, actually looking like me. The clarity of intention and thought may also feel foreign. Similarly I can't really comprehend how Lucilyn even works - despite the carefree manner in which she views the world, she comes to the same logical conclusions as I do, but seemingly without any of the conscious thinking. So it's strange to me to feel how fluidly things go for her, happy as she is, without having to view the world analytically.[/hidden]

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I guess differentiating thoughts has its merits and benefits, but I can't speak much in that domain. I'm sorry if that was unbearably annoying.

Oh no, not annoying at all. In fact, your and Tewi's responses are exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for, and I'm quite glad to see it here. Thanks you two! :)

Unfortunately, I do not have as much to give forth at the moment. But I wanted to make sure that I acknowledged these comments.

Peace

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

To me this seems to be a question about concentration and mindfulness mainly. Do your tulpas help you live more in the present moment, in other words. I don't know if I am correct in assuming this, but I'll answer it this way. I was born with ADD, as many have been. My thoughts have always been a jumbled mess. To elaborate, my mind is always racing and jumping from topic to topic in and endless storm of: questions, pondering, worries, ideas, future planning, introspection, daydreams, etc. In short, most of the time it's not calm, or just observing what is going on around me. Eventually I was able to concentrate enough to follow a conversation with others around me, but when I wasn't engaged in conversation my mind would return to the endless mess.

Meditation has helped in this, but I would say that the actual process of tulpa creation has helped clear out some of this mental clutter even better. It's forced me to calm my thoughts enough to be able to actually coherently communicate to someone inside of it. Narration was a big one, and I do miss doing it. Telling someone what is going on around you constantly is a great way to stay focused on what is going on around you, as obvious as that is. Holding conversations in my head helps me forget about worries, or problems. I end up just focusing on the conversation. I'm horrible at wonderland visualization, but that seems like it would be a great meditation technique.

I'll stop before I just end up rambling, and just answer your last four questions. Yes, having a tulpa has helped me refine thought patterns, though this is an ongoing process and still dicey at times.

Host: Ayre

Tulpas: Coda and Segno

Shameless Progress Report Plug:

Ayre's Opus 1: Informal informative index of inhabitants in an invisible inner-world.