Help vampires

jean-luc

Sweet, a FAQ button. That's the first thing I would've clicked if I were new here (the help button is less appealing and turned out to be useless).

Wikis tend to be used for facts. In fact that's all they should be used for. Even when they're talking about something subjective they're speaking of it objectively. Tulpamancy is rather limited in its ability to do that. There are some topics that we could fill it with, but in the end it would only serve as something to purposely browse as it will never be expansive enough to be reliable in having searched-for information. Best just to use the forum at that point.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, a FAQ button. That's the first thing I would've clicked if I were new here (the help button is less appealing and turned out to be useless).

Wikis tend to be used for facts. In fact that's all they should be used for. Even when they're talking about something subjective they're speaking of it objectively. Tulpamancy is rather limited in its ability to do that. There are some topics that we could fill it with, but in the end it would only serve as something to purposely browse as it will never be expansive enough to be reliable in having searched-for information. Best just to use the forum at that point.

I'd imagine that if another attempt at a wiki is made, the focus of it should be on common exercises, and their intent and purpose. After all, tulpa making is an exercise, a thing that is done, and if one wants to make a tulpa, giving them things to do to that goal would seem to be helpful to me. It's probably the most objective aspect of this whole thing.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

I think help vampirism is primarily the product of people who don't want to figure out an answer, and would rather have their question answered directly, which makes a wiki of concepts or even answers to related, but not identical questions unhelpful in this scenario; what's needed is a readily searchable wiki of questions, and, put simply, the questions and answers section can already be used as such with site-specific Google searches. I think an appropriate way of dealing might be to to have a link to Google results (or a(n) lmgtfy link if you feel punchy) with site:community.tulpa.info and then the title of their thread, or perhaps an alternative question. This response can be augmented with a request for a seperate thread detailing a specific, distinguishing question or facet of the OP's situation. If such a thread is impossible, then the question is a dupe. If it is, then it's a much more interesting thread.

Example:

How2tup?

lmgtfy

If you have a question more specific to you, please detail it in an appropriately specific thread.

A few other notes about this approach:

• I think this should be dealt with as a moderation problem, as vampire content is detrimental to the forum in the same way that flamewars are: they lower the value of the average thread, and thus scare away non-vampire new users.
  • For a more aggressive approach, lock the thread after the google link
  • Additionally, you can also just copy and paste the non-link part of the response.
  • This is done partially under the assumption that we don't want help vampires to linger, and this assumption is made because I strongly agree with it; I'd rather have ten solid users than ten solid users and 90 hot air vents, and I think anyone inconsiderate enough to vampire help is just going to be a weight to drag.
  • With the thread-locking approach, the threads would sink out of the first page quickly, and users would know what threads to avoid.
  • Despite the help-vampire hostile tone I've been using, this is probably much more useful to them than a static wiki, since this gives them easy access to answers in precisely the format they sought when they posted the question.

IMO, the entire forum should be the wiki, so that nobody has to go out of their way to keep the wiki up-to-date, and so that the wiki immaculately portrays the ideas and historical ideas of the community; keeping an actual wiki would simply give one (limited) perspective on this massive corpus, and would be at constant risk of invalidation by new findings, and be a constant burden to its maintainer.

This is, admittedly, a very harsh policy even without the copypasting and locking, but I'd prefer to retain posters of substance than to cater to those of noise, and the presence of this thread clearly demonstrates that that retention either is a priority, or may become one.

Ok first of all, for googe we should use https://cse.google.com/cse/

It's baisically using site:community.tulpa.info but better, and it can be integrated directly into the site. I setup one for testing that you can try out.

Please, don't use lmgtfy. These help vampires aren't evil vermin to be insulted and exterminated, they just don't know what the proper way to ask and search is. We can teach them through some kind nudges in the right direction. Sure, some people still won't listen, and then we simply ignore them.

I'd rather have ten solid users than ten solid users and 90 hot air vents, and I think anyone inconsiderate enough to vampire help is just going to be a weight to drag.

I would too, but it doesn't have to come to that. I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you said except for severity, and the implication that we shouldn't try to help them. From the article I linked:

They're not evil creatures, Help Vampires. They act only on their blind instinct to feed, driven by base urges like most living things. Often even they themselves are not aware of their Help Vampire status, so leave your stakes at home.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

This is, admittedly, a very harsh policy even without the copypasting and locking, but I'd prefer to retain posters of substance than to cater to those of noise, and the presence of this thread clearly demonstrates that that retention either is a priority, or may become one.

No, it's not. Nor will it be. This place is dead compared to other places. The real plague is the Forum Games, if you're going to design something as detrimental don't put it on people's curiosity, put it on stuff that actually does serve no purpose to the practice this site promotes. The solution is sending a welcome PM to beginners and putting an emphasis on searching before posting, that shit is automated. I don't get why we're all having our tits on fire over people asking questions online, they often include their own situation which may make things different.

A wise man once said: 'Before judging a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away, and you've got new shoes.'

Graced are those who could avoid this phenomenon. This is perhaps the worst expression of evil in humanity's history, but who am I to judge?

Nobody's forcing anybody to answer repetitive noob questions. If you don't feel like a question deserves an answer, then ignore it. At the most, give a gentle suggestion to read the wiki; it doesn't require any more effort than posting a link to lmgtfy and has the added bonus of not making you (and the entire forum) look like a massive douche canoe. If somebody repeatedly asks questions that are in the wiki, and ignores attempts to dissuade them from doing so, then let the mods take care of it.

Everybody here was a noob at some point, and I think it's a mistake to assume that everyone that asks a dumb question when they're starting out isn't going to stick around and eventually become a useful member of the forums. Unless of course we're overly hostile to them, in which case there's a good chance that they won't stick around, which prevents the site from growing and also solves absolutely nothing, since there's no shortage of entitled newbies that don't want to RTFM, and anyone you chase off will just be replaced by ten others just like them.

Having said that, I do think the link to the FAQ should be more obvious, as well as adding some sort of "Before you post, have you read the FAQ?" message that pops up when someone attempts to start a new thread. I have no idea if this is possible here or not, but on Reddit, a lot of subs have text that populates the "reply" box before it's clicked that contains messages from the mods about rules/posting etiquette/whatever.

I want to be ignored

Don't want a speaking part

I don't want any one to notice

The blood spilling out of my exploding heart

Excuse me?

The real detriment to this forum is the Forum Games indeed. I thought that sentence was expressive enough.

A wise man once said: 'Before judging a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away, and you've got new shoes.'

Graced are those who could avoid this phenomenon. This is perhaps the worst expression of evil in humanity's history, but who am I to judge?

Let me answer for Jean-luc with: "If the Forum Games weren't here, I would have left entirely. As would many others."

The people that only play forum games are basically non-members, but they're more potential members than being gone entirely.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

As much of a dick thing it is to say, no sleep would have been lost over members who only come for the FG and who left. Shit, matter of fact, if people left this place sooner they'd be better off, because this place can be a time-sink for many people, and in the past, it kept people from actively working on their tups. I'm not saying that people who do FG are a detriment to others, I don't care about the section but I know for a fact this place is a time-sink and the FG section contributes to this.