Help vampires

jean-luc

The only way the Forum Games could negatively affect anything at all is by appearing in the View Daily Posts search. Honestly, I've seen that search without Forum Games or Progress Reports, and it is discouragingly empty. I may only see three threads in a day that are interesting enough click and read through, but the progress reports and to a lesser extent forum games at least gives a sense of activity.

Forum Games serves as a possible distracter from tulpamancy just as much as Youtube or Reddit. That's a non-problem. If anything, the fact that it keeps people around the forum for longer is better than if they went and watched Youtube, because then they might end up participating somewhere else too.

Or not. Then they're just a non-factor. I totally agree there. Detriment, however, means harm or damage.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The forum games do sometimes keep people from working on their tulpas, but everything else on the internet could distract them just the same. Anyway, this thread is about those help vampires and what we could do to fix that, not forum games.

I don't know if this is something that can be fixed. A google search bar would be cool, although I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the current search system, maybe a bar at the top of the page would be more inviting.

A lot of tulpa stuff boils down to being able to interpret and understand what's happening in someone's own head, and if someone doesn't have the critical thought to be able to do that, and is depending on someone else to do it for them, then that's a problem that all the wikis and search bars in the world won't be able to help with.

To address Sock's ideas about how people don't talk about their tulpas a ton despite that being the topic of the forum: I mean shit, no one likes being critiqued online, and I think that this is something that takes some gall to talk about even in general terms. That's just me though, I got smeared a little on a twitter page poking fun at the "cringeworthy" aspects of the tulpa community so maybe I'm assuming a shyness of others that isn't there.

Cut and dry answers aren't going to spark much new conversation, either, on the flip side. If we work more on getting more information from the person who's asking a question we've all seen a hundred times, maybe we can learn something. It's about creating new discourse about something that's been discussed to death.

We're all gonna make it brah.

• 1 year later...

I'm just gonna bump this because.. Uh, no reason.. Every thread being made right now is super original and helpful. But y'know. Jean-luc put a lot of effort into this thread so I'm bumping it for no other reason!

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• 7 months later...

I had a completely different forum question, but I found this thread and thought it was interesting...

*reflects on my older anxiety-inspired posts* uhhh…. If I did anything... I post a lot...

Anyway, Is it possible to take all of the FAQ's and give them hashtags or something? I think that way, people would be more interested in going through 30 different questions all labeled "active forcing" or "definitions" instead of a zillion questions that are outdated or don't have anything to do with anything.

I don't have the coding expertise to build a separate website on my own for this, but I am more than happy to help go through the FAQ's to organize them and what not. I can help with some of the code stuff too, but I would need to learn js and have a mentor to make sure I'm not fouling anything up.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

This thread is a good read- I feel like things have been moving in a better direction since that was made; hey, we have a welcome PM rolled out now!

Since we actually have a better/more stable wiki now, it may be worth linking to it again in a more visible location.

Is it possible to take all of the FAQ's and give them hashtags or something? I think that way, people would be more interested in going through 30 different questions all labeled "active forcing" or "definitions" instead of a zillion questions that are outdated or don't have anything to do with anything.

I don't have the coding expertise to build a separate website on my own for this, but I am more than happy to help go through the FAQ's to organize them and what not. I can help with some of the code stuff too, but I would need to learn js and have a mentor to make sure I'm not fouling anything up.

We do have prefixes that can be added to threads, such as  [Visualization], [Forcing], etc- I would not be against adding more though.  We used to have a way to filter topics by prefix, but I'm afraid that broke with later versions of MyBB.

Were you looking to search hashtags that were made in threads, or ones made as topics, or both?  If we just use google's search along with in-thread hashtags, there's some promising possibilities.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

This thread is a good read- I feel like things have been moving in a better direction since that was made; hey, we have a welcome PM rolled out now!

Since we actually have a better/more stable wiki now, it may be worth linking to it again in a more visible location.

We do have prefixes that can be added to threads, such as  [Visualization], [Forcing], etc- I would not be against adding more though.  We used to have a way to filter topics by prefix, but I'm afraid that broke with later versions of MyBB.

Were you looking to search hashtags that were made in threads, or ones made as topics, or both?  If we just use google's search along with in-thread hashtags, there's some promising possibilities.

I thought using hashtags for filtering posts in a single thread- such as the FAQ. This however would be a special case since most threads that get that big are either forum games or discussions, the latter which more or less have unique but not an uncountable number of responses and the former has an uncountable number of ignorable posts.

However, there are a lot of threads that became forgotten and ended up getting duplicates (for example, I found out my forum question about warning levels was actually a repeat, and it wasn't until I discovered a thread that was several years older and buried in the search). I think filtering some of these threads like how the guides are organized is a good idea, since finding an on topic guide was never an issue for me. The only problem is 6+ years of content is a lot to go through, and I didn't want to tell you guys to do a whole bunch of work without volunteering to help or contribute in some way.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account