Drakaina

Slaying the Earworm

I'm sure everyone has times when a song or tune just will not get out of their head. These earworms burrow in and loop and loop until you're batty. If you're like me your tulpa has to suffer through them too. Isa's getting very annoyed with the level of lyrical insanity that floats through my head all day, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on slaying these beasts; for my sanity and my tulpa's.

Tl;DR

Songs in my head are driving my tulpa (and me) crazy. Any advice on how to get rid of them?

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Anagrams, apparently. Or more accurately, using the "working memory" part of your brain on something else. Anything you can focus on I suppose, like a book. Some video games are too easy/casual and leave room for it, while other things like riddles can be so hard you go back to thinking of the song. But roughly anything that takes your active attention for a while could work.

I just looked that up, but otherwise what first came to mind was white noise (or other color noise, or perhaps rain.simplynoise.com). Seems like it could help clear your mind and is sound related. And then there's the dangerous technique of actually listening to the song that's stuck in your head. For songs you know well, I don't recommend this, but, if you find it's only a certain part of a song, or has lyrics you don't quite know, listening to the original can add some continuity and allow your brain to put the song to rest. Knowing the lyrics perfectly can also help you stop from dwelling on it.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

{We find that if you listen to the actual song, the earworms go away. On a related topic, that's just a horrible word.}

He's talking about "earworm," and I agree. Anyway, I tend to just listen to some other song I like a few dozen times- there's a risk of getting it stuck in your head too, but at least it's something new, right? :P

(Aegis) +Graves+ [Nhythera] {Wells}

I'm the type where listening to the song usually just ingrains it more. I've tried a method where you listen to the song in full to smooth out any kinks in the mental record, and then immediately do something cognitive to break your brain from the song, like sudoku or grid logic puzzles (I did the latter).

It mostly worked until I finished the puzzle an hour or so later, then my brain picked up the song without missing a beat. XP

Earworm or Brainworm is actually the term for a catchy piece of music that gets persistently stuck in your head. I didn't just make it up. ^^;

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

I would just go to a YouTube video of the song with the lyrics in the description, and play it until I actually know the song, so if it pops up in my head again, I can actually Finish It! XD

I took interest in ponies because humans are stupid.

When this happens to me, repeating the end of the song in my head (assuming that I know it) leaves me with some closure. I don't know how effective drowning it out with white noise can be.

It's funny to me that this is a topic somebody's just brought up, because ever since Kase became sentient he has this obsession with all music (but mostly country, unfortunately for me) so he's the one causing my constant earworms.

Hey! Just started battling this earworm sensation in my meditaion forcing sessions myself. I've developed a trick that works for me, hopefully it can help you out too.

I'll start with a bit of backstory: to clear any visual or conceptual intrusive thoughts, I would focus on the word "Ohm". This word of power would ring like a giant gong and smooth out any thoughts in my mind, bringing me a moment of mental silence. Every time I said "ohm" in my mindvoice, that gong would ring and drive everyting out. However, the only thoughts that seemed unphased by this were catchy songs that just wouldn't stop replaying.

You can only focus so much when your mind is full of repeating lyrics. So I began to put on quiet meditation music to try and reduce the mental noise and give me something to focus my diva-esque mindvoice. Quiet instrumentals work to a cetrain degree, but then you have a crutch and *have* to meditate with music in order to focus. So this was more of a band-aid than a solution.

A solution finally clicked when I was sitting in complete silence late at night. Even when everything is quiet, there is still always a 'hum' in your ears, a soft ringing which is the absence of noise. The 'sound of silence' I guess. I actively tuned into that ringing and used it like my "ohm" gong. I would actively replace the music in my head with complete silence on purpose, like changing the channel on a radio. Anytime an intrusive lyric or drum snare would drift into my mind, I would tune it out with the sound of the silence around me. Each time I did this, the song would cut off and wouldn't have the chance to get into my brain.

I've been practicing with this concept and it's not perfect yet, but it's been a great help so far and has FINALLY given me some peace and quiet in my meditation. I know everyone is a little different so this might not work for you, but give it a shot. It only took me a 20 minute session to get it in gear for the first time, and its easier after that.

Cheers!

TL-DR: Listen to the 'Sound of Silence' to cancel out your karekoke mindvoice.

[align=right]The songs carried on and began to grow long as the moon watched it all from above

And the old ripened berries and the juniper fairies delivered their gifts and their love.[/align]

@Ohmegon

Props on the dragon brothers avatar. ;3

Its kind of nice to hear from another meditator. Almost all of my active forcing is done during my meditation sessions. My monkey mind goes crazy once my eyes are closed so I still meditate with "music" or create a soundscape. I'm particularly fond of the latter.

I had totally forgotten about my mantra though. Your gong analogy is a really great image. I'm not good at silence. My ears pick up too much. But a gong word might give the part of my brain that processes speech a different focus.

-Arthur Conan Doyle

@Drakaina

Dragon bro! *Fistbump*

Kinda funny to be called a fellow 'meditator'. I'm still so new with the practice and sometimes my mind is so noisy it seems like a wasted session. But from what I can tell Tulpa forcing can benefit a person so much in the real world, so I'm trying to stick to it.

I'm glad you can connect with my gong symbolism, I hope it can help you out! I find that when I'm trying to focus I have different 'channels' in my mind. One for my mindvoice, one for visuals, and one seems to always be music aha. It's hard to explain but my end goal is to mute that music channel in my mind for good. If I stumble upon any other breakthroughs, would you like me to PM you?

[align=right]The songs carried on and began to grow long as the moon watched it all from above

And the old ripened berries and the juniper fairies delivered their gifts and their love.[/align]