Telemancy - The Truth?

Zaya

So I've been doing some research today, and stumbled across Amadeus's (an old user of this site that left...? Not really sure what his story is.) article about what I'm simply calling "Telemancy".

My operational definition of Telemancy is "Divination of the Mind", which includes Tulpamancy, but goes on further than mere Tulpamancy, into reality imposition itself. Changing how your body reacts to stimulus on a whim, meaning purple skies, unicorns and dragons, if you choose to see it.

Amadeus claims he achieved functional Telemancy in a mere year, being able to fully impose any object or subject he wished in just over an hour.

Not only that, but he also references Carl Jung's "psychosis", and relates his psychosis to Telemancy, which, reading through the articles again, it seems Amadeus was onto something.

So what is the consensus on "Telemancy"? I've just recently heard of it, and while it doesn't seem too far fetched, Amadeus also mentioned tragedy associated with it.

What exactly happened to the common users of the forum who tragedy struck?

It sounds like plain old forced hallucination to me, I'm not sure it needs a fancy name, and "telemancy" doesn't make sense with the phenomena being described. "Tele-" being a Greek root meaning "far away/distance", and "-mancy" denoting a kind of divination. If you were actually affecting the world around you it might make more sense, but the word hallucination already exists for seeing things that aren't real. Sensory feedback comes with the term since it applies to any of the five senses, and feedback from one is usually accompanied by feedback from another.

Really it sounds more like imposition taken to the next couple of levels, and while the former is somewhat practical or convenient for interactions with your tulpa, full on hallucinations distorting the world we have to function in seems rather pointless. I don't know why someone would strive to delude themselves so far other than to see if they could.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

It sounds like plain old forced hallucination to me, I'm not sure it needs a fancy name, and "telemancy" doesn't make sense with the phenomena being described. "Tele-" being a Greek root meaning "far away/distance", and "-mancy" denoting a kind of divination. If you were actually affecting the world around you it might make more sense, but the word hallucination already exists for seeing things that aren't real. Sensory feedback comes with the term since it applies to any of the five senses, and feedback from one is usually accompanied by feedback from another.

Really it sounds more like imposition taken to the next couple of levels, and while the former is somewhat practical or convenient for interactions with your tulpa, full on hallucinations distorting the world we have to function in seems rather pointless. I don't know why someone would strive to delude themselves so far other than to see if they could.

Quoting for clarity:

The fancy name is a kind of BS pseudonym, I know, but the issue is there's no real term for that "next level" of imposition other than "advanced imposition". At least, none that I'm aware of, and Amadeus didn't give an operational definition for it.

So just to clear up the title: I'm not trying to coin some new term, or giving my own new spin on something, I'm simply at a loss for words.

The real point of the post is that I'd like to know the vague details of what this "Amadeus" was talking about.

Is this advanced imposition something that some hosts on these forums posses?

What did Amadeus mean when he said that tragedy struck a few users who were too naïve and who weren't ready for advanced Tulpamancy?

How could Amadeus achieve such high proficiency in Tulpamancy in just a year - even with hours of practice a day?

Who even WAS Amadeus?

Thank you for your reply, I honestly didn't think I would get feedback so soon!

Though I don't know who he was, it's something that I strive for. Now, I've hardly even begun to scratch the surface of imposition, but I'd say that those who were too naïve likely lost control of the hallucinations that they had. I know there are a few members who kinda went wack at some point, but I can't recall who they were.

I'm IBreakGames, a genuine dude.

We gave up on using different colors for each of us, so there's Al, Ollie, and Eva. We're all rabbits, get over it.

• 1 month later...

Dorkydactyl: http://articles.tulpa.info/amadeus-exodus-a-tale-of-tulpa/

Zaya, as I understand it, yes, this is a natural extension of imposition, and a fair few people can do it or something approximating it. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people, but my understanding is that you shouldn't conflate imposition with tulpamancy, as such; the practices are associated but functionally independent, you can impose whatever it is you practice imposing, and it just tends to be used for interaction with tulpas.

Actually, I think the term 'imposition' would be understood by most to refer to all kinds of deliberate hallucinations, like Drakaina said. In that sense "advanced imposition" is perfectly accurate and descriptive as a term. Some people might call it 'neuromancy', or something else like it. Yeah, 'telemancy' doesn't really make sense as a pseudonym. You might also call it 'sensory control'; I know some outside of the tulpa community might call 'vision control' what we'd call 'visual imposition', e.g. this.

Let me just answer a few of your questions briefly.

What did Amadeus mean when he said that tragedy struck a few users who were too naïve and who weren't ready for advanced Tulpamancy?

Some people have got a bit carried away with escapism one way or another. Well, what you call a 'tragedy' is a bit subjective here; is the host experiencing ego death to have a tulpa take over a bad thing? Less commonly, you get people who experience losses of continuity (blackouts), uncontrollable hallucinations, etc. (e.g. Koomer); like Amadeus said in the article, you might expect some pre-existing condition here.

How could Amadeus achieve such high proficiency in Tulpamancy in just a year - even with hours of practice a day?

I don't think this is particularly surprising. A year is a long time to be spending 6 hours a day (not sure how many) doing something, and, well, it's hard to quantify how much time these things 'should' take. Just from what other people who've done (simple) imposition have said, this is way more than enough time to get that down. Plus, some people seem to find it easier than others.

Who even WAS Amadeus?

I guess it's mostly self-explanatory. Yes, an old user, around near the start, ex-admin, hallucinator extraordinaire, and so on.

I guess it would be nice if more people wrote stuff like this; I can name a few people off the top of my head who have good imposition, but don't tend to talk about what can be done in this regard that much. And when they leave, we won't know if they never write it down. EDIT: you, Vos, I guess?

I guess it would be nice if more people wrote stuff like this; I can name a few people off the top of my head who have good imposition, but don't tend to talk about what can be done in this regard that much. And when they leave, we won't know if they never write it down. EDIT: you, Vos, I guess?

The most I've written about imposition under this account is this very lazy explanation as to how we achieved it and what we're still struggling with. If I had a good idea of what people wanted to know about, I wouldn't have a problem with writing something down the road.

That's useful too, yeah, and I guess in a sense a guide is more useful than a description. What I meant was, people in general don't tend to write much about what it feels like to have, beyond a few cursory sentences. Like, do you find imposing tulpas easier than other objects, to what extent can you control vision, how easy are other senses, can imposition like this be immersive; and so on. I don't mean that you should answer those questions, but I guess possibly a comprehensive description of what it's like for you.

I guess this applies more generally, too. For switching, possession, to a lesser extent having a tulpa at all; people write a lot about how to do it, but don't go into detail about what it's actually like. You might not want to bias people to expect certain experiences, especially if your own experiences aren't 'typical'; but at the same time, I think it's really valuable historically to introspect and write down what it feels like to have it, as well as useful for people who want to know, well, what it's like who don't have it.

I mean, in terms of the experiences that we talk about here, there are ambiguities in what we experience that wouldn't necessarily be obviously resolved to someone looking from, say, ten years in the future. The community changes, usage of words evolve and their original meanings are lost. It may not be enough to say, well, it feels like a tulpa is another person; that in itself could be applied to lots of different experiences in a way that, if the meaning became clouded over time, someone looking back with a completely different idea of what a tulpa is wouldn't find what we write about it now to be contradictory.

I'm somewhat inspired by a few interesting (and questionable) historical/psychological theories, like the bicameral mind. In brief, it's the idea that the ancients heard gods as voices, literally, telling them what to do. And, when we read things like the Iliad, there are sections that talk about gods 'as if' they were talking to humans - of course we'd read this as metaphorical, because that's our own experience, the gods don't talk. But we can't disambiguate between the two, just from what's said. Homer would have had to have made it very clear, and that's especially hard to do if you're not really aware of it yourself.

TL;DR: What I'm suggesting here is that we, as a community, ought to make a serious effort to explicitly, clearly and unambiguously document the experiences we have, so that they will be understandable out of context. I guess imposition is a nice one because I think a lot of people even in the community aren't really clear on it. But more generally, we could (and should) do this for every aspect.

I could put this in its own thread, possibly, but I guess I'd like to hear what you think.

@waffles, @vosaiu thanks for the replies! I just abandoned the thread at some point and chalked it up to me not really getting my point across in a coherent and reasonable fashion, but it seems as if you both brought it back from the brink.

And thank you, @waffles for your wonderful translation of my incoherent ramblings, you really captured what I was thinking about at the time with your ending paragraph about describing events and really logging experience instead of just describing the process to achieve said experience.

I've always had a thirst for knowledge, but not just knowledge, the actual experience that goes along with the discovery.

Such as, I love the SCP mythos because it is all tied together in a "lab report" type of style, where you can not only read about these creepy mythological creatures, but you can read the lore of how they were discovered, who found them, what happened when they threw a human in there with it, et cetera.

You actually get to read the experience and in depth progress logs associated with it all.

I mean, that's why I love the progress logs on this site as well.

Unfortnately, that's what led to this post. The lack of perceived detail in amadeus's article left so much to wonder for me, I wanted a better explanation, and craved that in depth description.

I don't think I'll ever get the description about his experience that I still crave, but at least I have a vague knowledge of what it would be like.