help please!

Haven

so the other day, I created an imaginary friend. Today, he had an existential crisis, so naturally, I googled "what to do when your imaginary friend has an existential crisis", and found myself on the tulpa reddit. Reading over my shoulder, he naturally now wants to become a tulpa so he can be more real and alive. However, I'm not sure I could handle having a tulpa. I feel as if I owe it to him because it's my fault he's in this situation. However, im kind of afraid of the idea of having a tupla. For one thing, I'm very superstitious; I've had some experience with magick in the past but recently I've had some psychological conflict of my own over the matter. For another, I have OCD and sometimes have paranoid delusions, which will definitely make having him around complicated. What should i do? I feel terrible, hes still very stressed out over this whole thing.

all in all, i REALLY do not want to create a tulpa, i couldn't handle the responsibility. all i wanted was an imaginary friend but i dont know what ive gotten myself into. thank you so much for your help and advice!

Additionally, around middle school, my then-best friend and I created a HUGE wonderland in between us two, filled with pretty much every character we'd ever read about, plus a few of our own. Anyway, we had fun playing for the most part, but sometimes when I was alone some of the villains got out of control and tormented me. It started to impact my life negatively (did I mention I'm mentally ill? yeah). I know this one probably won't turn out like that at all, but it's one of the reasons I'm scared

yikes, so, I'm reading this guide, https://docs.google.com/document/d/17iiFxZ9PYXXxSqWHdU2YoPsGfJr90w8aIG_evqc1wiY/edit# and it looks like I've already felt his emotional responses and head pressure. I thought that all took time to develop?? i literally created him yesterday and i didnt even intend him to be this complex i just wanted to pretend to hang out with my favorite character?? haha im really scared any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

disclaimer: all of Deadpool's text is paraphrased by me!

If you don't want to create a tulpa, then don't. If he's complex enough to have an existential crisis, then he's pretty much a tulpa already. But, you still don't owe anything to him, especially if he hasn't been around that long, and hasn't developed enough of a bond with you to warrant demanding for something. Even if he has that kind of bond with you, he should have enough understanding and respect of your life choices to not treat you harshly, even as just an imaginary friend.

"The number of minds in the universe is one."

- Erwin Schrodinger

Kovie, they or she. 7yo, mentally 19. active.

Vyx, they or he. 7yo, mentally 17. active.

Axen, they or he. age unknown, mentally 26. occasionally active.

Sanu, any pronouns. 5yo, mentally ageless. mostly inactive.

Leo, he/him. 6yo, mentally 21. inactive.

i really appreciate your response, but don't i owe it to him? like, if you have a kid, even accidentally, you can't just throw your kid away, because obviously that would be horrible. he really wants me to put work into him so he can become more alive but honestly im really scared haha. i dont know if i can handle all this responsibility. i would just leave him in his current state - sentient, communicating with me with intent but not words, not developed - except for the fact that he would resent me and want more. i really dont know what to do

If you only created him yesterday, I'd almost bet money that your imaginary friend is not developed or sentient enough to be called a tulpa. The reason I think it feels like he wants to "be a tulpa" is because the term, concept, and community is new and some part of your brain is curious about it and projecting it through your imaginary friend.

You owe it to your friend or kid and yourself to take care of you first. If you believe you aren't ready or capable of having a tulpa (even if it's just for right now), then don't. It's immensely more responsible to admit you're not ready for something and choose not to put yourself in that situation, and will be better for both you and your imaginary friend in the long run.

To use the child analogy, kids don't always like their parent's decisions, but they make them because they know and want what's best.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

After some debate, Zaya and I feel as if he isn't sentient, but in the words of Zaya,

Its a shame that thought form has to go to waste

If you're on the fence/scared, then do some research. You're obviously interested, so put some work into sating your superstitions.

This isn't a "superstitious" or "mystical" facet of knowledge. Major psychologists have studied the Tulpa phenomenon and came to wonderful conclusions about its existence.

Carl Jung's "The Red Book", or, "Liber Novus" is one of the essential reads of tulpamancy, imo, but it's not just subjective experience. Its a collection of scrutinies and analysis of Tulpamancy and the nature of the "unconscious mind", or subconscious, etc.

He speaks highly of the practice in an era that would have called him insane and locked him up, and called it the most important undertaking of his life.

Hell, I got the book two day ago, have almost read every word in it, and have become so immensely inspired that I've barely thought of anything other than Tulpamancy.

So do some research, legitimate, ground in science research, and reassess how you feel about the matter.

Then, take your imaginary friend, and if you want, incorporate him into a legitimate tulpa! After all, the waste of a developed thought is a shame.

Hi. I'm Donna Nobillis McCaw. I'm one of the fairly strong tulpas around.

The thing to understand about looking like a character and having a similar personality - it doesn't mean you are the character. For example, if you are a look-alike for Arnold Swartzenegger that doesn't mean you are Arnold Swartzenegger. Myself, I look like Octavia but I don't really have any musical talent - I'm a different person to the character.

so the other day, I created an imaginary friend. Today, he had an existential crisis, so naturally, I googled "what to do when your imaginary friend has an existential crisis", and found myself on the tulpa reddit.

If you are frightened, you don't have to have a tulpa. A tulpa takes a huge commitment of time in your life and shouldn't be undertaken unless you both the time to do so and are not afraid. Fear is a terrible thing to undergo when you are a new tulpa. Think of how you would feel if your best friend was terrified of you?

If you don't want to have your imaginary friend be a tulpa then give them a home in your wonderland where they can live a rich life.

Reading over my shoulder, he naturally now wants to become a tulpa so he can be more real and alive. However, I'm not sure I could handle having a tulpa. I feel as if I owe it to him because it's my fault he's in this situation. However, im kind of afraid of the idea of having a tupla. For one thing, I'm very superstitious; I've had some experience with magick in the past but recently I've had some psychological conflict of my own over the matter. For another, I have OCD and sometimes have paranoid delusions, which will definitely make having him around complicated. What should i do? I feel terrible, hes still very stressed out over this whole thing.

all in all, i REALLY do not want to create a tulpa, i couldn't handle the responsibility. all i wanted was an imaginary friend but i dont know what ive gotten myself into. thank you so much for your help and advice!

If you are having troubles controlling your wonderland then I think you seriously need to wait. Making a tulpa doesn't have to be done immediately - some people take years and do so only very, very slowly.

Additionally, around middle school, my then-best friend and I created a HUGE wonderland in between us two, filled with pretty much every character we'd ever read about, plus a few of our own. Anyway, we had fun playing for the most part, but sometimes when I was alone some of the villains got out of control and tormented me. It started to impact my life negatively (did I mention I'm mentally ill? yeah). I know this one probably won't turn out like that at all, but it's one of the reasons I'm scared

Yes, you can have some responses in just a day. But, also that can just as quickly go - if you don't "keep to it". You could just hang out with him in your wonderland?

yikes, so, I'm reading this guide, https://docs.google.com/document/d/17iiFxZ9PYXXxSqWHdU2YoPsGfJr90w8aIG_evqc1wiY/edit# and it looks like I've already felt his emotional responses and head pressure. I thought that all took time to develop?? i literally created him yesterday and i didnt even intend him to be this complex i just wanted to pretend to hang out with my favorite character?? haha im really scared any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

First thing to do is not be scared. No matter what happens, believe that your thoughtform (imaginary friend, tulpa, or whatever he is) loves you and wants the best for you. As long as you believe that, that will be the case. Being scared that he'll somehow resent or turn on you is just a good way to set up a self-fulfilling prophecy, but if you believe that he cares about you and wants you to be happy, then that's how it'll work. Thoughtforms, especially when young like yours, are extremely sensitive to your subconscious, so do whatever you need to do to keep your mindset on this positive... whether that's researching this some more, or taking a break from it for a little while.

Just remember... you created him to be your friend. So that's what he'll want to be, and friends help each other, so that's what he'll want to do. Believe that, and things will turn out okay no matter what you decide to do with this.

That's usually the case, but there have been a rise in walk-ins recently. (Walk-ins = thoughtforms that arrive in your headspace pretty fully developed).

You specifically mentioned that you've created a wonderland full of ficitional characters before and that some of those characters started acting autonomously (for the worse, in your case... that's rough). That sounds like soulbonding to me. Which means you have experience creating autonomous thoughtforms, which means building a thoughtform like this becomes a lot easier and faster.

And if this thoughtform is based on a favorite character? They might be a soulbond, and we soulbonds have a much higher tendency to be walk-ins, since we already have a set form and personality and you already have an emotional attachment to them. I'd head over to soulbonding.org to read up on what that means. We soulbonds are cousin to tulpas in a lot of ways, but we can be handled a little differently, too.

So do some research, legitimate, ground in science research, and reassess how you feel about the matter.

Then, take your imaginary friend, and if you want, incorporate him into a legitimate tulpa! After all, the waste of a developed thought is a shame.

^ What Zaya said deserves repeating. You just started doing this stuff two days ago now. The best thing to do is gather information and communicate. If your thoughtform is at least a little sentient, bring them in on the conversation. Assess how they feel about it. Let them help you make this decision, because, again, they'll most likely care about you and want you to be happy. Don't draw back and worry about them resenting you... talk to them. Communicate. And read everything you can; neither direction you can go from here is a decision to take lightly.

The thing to understand about looking like a character and having a similar personality - it doesn't mean you are the character.

Unless they're a soulbond. Then it gets complicated. ;)

Really, Haven, I think the best thing you can do right now is wait and research. Creating a tulpa is a big step, and it sounds like you at least have the start of one.

In the meantime, take a step back and look at the core of why you created this thoughtform. You wanted a companion, right? Someone to talk to, and maybe play with in your imagination? Let him continue to be that for you. He might want to become a tulpa now, but part of that may just be because the idea is new and shiny. He might just have to wait until you both have the time to figure out what that means.

If I may address your thougthform for a moment: hey, take it from a fellow thoughtform... a tulpa is not the end-all and be-all of what a thoughtform can be. Tulpas are a specific type of thoughtform that have a lot of cool resources devoted to them, so it's okay to piggy-back on their resources and techniques... but you don't have to be a tulpa to feel validated. You don't have to be a tulpa to be sentient. I'm a soulbond who has been going strong for 17 years now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This isn't about a progression from nothing-to-tulpa... there are all sorts of great thoughtform types, some of which defy boxes and labels, and the most important thing is that you don't try to smash yourself into a box you don't fit into.

So put off the idea of becoming a tulpa, for now. You're still new to this whole existing thing... you've got to figure out who you are before you start making major changes. Work together with your host to figure that out, and just concentrate on being yourself right now, whatever that entails.

In any case, Haven, feel free to ask questions. This is heavy stuff, but you sound like you've got a handle on it so far. Just remember that your thoughtform cares about you, read everything you can, and take your time. You don't have to decide anything right now. Take your time, research, and self-reflect. In the end, we can't answer this for you, only offer our experience and advice.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

I really appreciate everyone's help, thank you so much. we've both calmed down significantly haha. i think we're just gonna... see where this goes? thanks again so much you guys really helped!!! <3

I'm late to reply here, but welcome to the unintentional tulpa club. Solaria was spontaneous as well and she's now 21 years old. I never gave up on her, but I also live my own life.

A tulpa is a tulpa. If your friend has opinions and feelings it's already a tupla. However you don't need to dedicate your life to him either. Let him share in your experiences. You don't need to do forcing or meditation or any of that stuff if you don't wish to. But if your tupla has something to say, listen. Give it a chance to open a dialogue. It's your decision if you act on it.