Losing ability to think?

vera

As I researched the tulpa phenomenon, the fear that I could lose partial ability to think crossed my mind. The mind has limited processes, so 2 minds using it at once would slow it down, right?

In the computer analogy of the brain this is true, but I don't think anyone has yet pushed the limits of the brain's processing power. If you're working on purely psychological assumptions of tulpa existence, it's believed (because of lack of hard evidence) that a tulpa will take up the passive processing power your brain has, which it has plenty of.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Oh, thank you so much! I was just worried because I asked the opinion of me getting a tulpa of a friend of mine, who said it was "cool but a risk."

If you need another analogue to your concern--think about the dream characters your brain conjures up on a nightly basis. It can easily fabricate simulations of those dream characters exhibiting actions and such while you either have little to zero awareness of what's going on, or you become lucid during those experiences. In other words, the experiences aren't really dependent on your awareness of them--they just happen on their own (excluding incubating certain dreams, that is).

And yet, in spite of this nightly habit, nothing is really affecting your cognition. So, I highly doubt this experience is going to pose much of a threat to your mind in general. But, giving assurances isn't really going to cut it, but might as well just point out another example anyway.

Well Draikana basically said what I had in mind, but I still feel like adding something regarding your thoughts on "slowing down". Creating a tulpa will result in using more of the spare processing power, which isn't primary a bad thing but something your brain isn't used to do that much in the regular case. It is like you start doing a lot more sports out of nowhere, so you should expect to get exhausted by it, especially in the beginning. You ask your brain to do a lot more work, depending on your attempts maybe even during needed phases of rest.

You should make sure that you don't overdo it and get enough rest. You don't need to focus on your tulpa at all times. (Overdoing it can result in really bad headaches.)

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

Meh, I dislike using analogies to describe topics that are well understood already.

It tends to lead to confusion on the analogy creators part, and sometimes downright offensive comments. Like relating tulpas to AI, that's a fun one. (Not saying you're doing this, but it's one of the most common analogies)

Ultimately, alogous thinking can help at times, but it can also hinder. Things like lucid dreaming and Tulpamancy aren't as simple as "one divided by two equals one half", it needs to be understood from a subjective, first person perspective.

Not a third person perspective.

If you truly want to understand it, why not go down the rabbit hole yourself?

Ultimately, alogous thinking can help at times, but it can also hinder. Things like lucid dreaming and Tulpamancy aren't as simple as "one divided by two equals one half", it needs to be understood from a subjective, first person perspective.

Not a third person perspective.

If you truly want to understand it, why not go down the rabbit hole yourself?

What does the perspective have to do with anything having to understand something? It was still rooted by the experience of someone else, that's a given, but the semantic shift with 1st/2nd/3rd is what made a difference in terms of explaining what may have been going on (e.g. instead of "I," it gets shifted to "she/he/it/they" whatever). And I'm not sure if anyone thought the two phenomenon could be condensed into being simple as solving a math equation.

You had to use an analogy with the math to try and get the OP to understand something. It's just a tool, and I'm sure you wanted analogies that made sense, but how does knowing when to use 1st/2nd/3rd perspective supplement anyone in preventing themselves from losing their ability to think?

You had to use an analogy with the math to try and get the OP to understand something. It's just a tool, and I'm sure you wanted analogies that made sense, but how does knowing when to use 1st/2nd/3rd perspective supplement anyone in preventing themselves from losing their ability to think?

Let me start by elaborating what I was trying to convey with my original post, and how I interpreted what the OP was saying:

His post was short and didn't explain much about what he actually thought on the matter.

I interpreted his thought process as merely using a basic analogy (hence the "one divided by two equals one half" comment) to try and gain a greater understanding of the subject.

Looking at his prior history on the website (at the time of posting, he had joined the day before), I thought due to his lack of activity, and lack of apparent thought on the subject, he must be using such a basic analogy simply because he didn't know much about the subject (i.e. Tulpamancy in general).

Now onto what I was trying to convey,

I don't believe that Tulpamancy could, in any way, without actually trying to do so, hinder ones ability to think.

I should've simply said that, and left my post at that, but what I was attempting to convey with my post was the fact that one shouldn't try and use such simple analogies without much prior knowledge of a subject to try and understand such a complex topic.

I relate what the OP said with someone using an analogy of a toilet bowl to understand how a black hole works.

Its simple, not entirely how it actually works, and with a little more research, such a better understanding could be reached without the need for such a post.

Onto your question about perspective.

I humbly apologize if the post was not clear.

I was not trying to state that a shift of hypothetical "perspective" when using an analogy can actually help someone when trying to grasp a concept.

I was merely trying to state that from an outsiders perspective (hence the "third person perspective" comment), with little research, one can hypothesize all they'd like about what a situation might be, but they will never truly grasp the concept unless they A: do sufficient research on the matter, or B: experience it for themselves (hence, the "first person perspective" comment).

I wasn't trying to step on any toes, or come across as unclear.

I apologize if I upset anyone in the previous comment, or if the previous comment came across as ignorant.

Ultimately, I should've explained myself in a more coherent fashion.

Guest Anonymous

I actually ran a little test for fun just a few hours ago.

When Rina, Aki and Ru were all around at the same time (yeah, not just Rina... that's a story for another time, though xD), I tried playing osu!.

That's a rhythm game where you basically "play" songs, and I play it on a pretty high level of difficulty by now, which requires a lot of concentration.

Basically, I just played a bit and then compared the score and accuracy results to my previous scores.

The result:

No discernable difference at all.

I also don't really notice any difference in my ability to concentrate or think clearly during other activities, or just in general, while one or more of them are around.

Unless being distracted by them talking while I do something counts... which, it doesn't. xP

The human brain can handle quite a lot, don't you worry - so much, in fact, that modern science still doesn't deliver any clear answers about this subject matter. ^^

Greets,

AG