Living Imagination (A Median Aspect in Tulpa Land)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I wrote my reply to that discussion here, posting here for future reference of anyone reading through the thread.

You are talking about more than one identity in a single mind though, which supports me rather than refutes me. I consider Melian and aspect of myself, another personality within my own mind.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The opinion of the majority of scientists does carry some weight. You make a point with the argumentum ad popularum. But appealing to the majority in the science community seems a little stronger and isn't a weak argument at all. Scientists usually back up what they say with research and empirical studies. No I am not going to quote specific studies for you Punch.

I just proved Stevie's argument that multiple personalities having different allergies supports my point of view.

Which scientists? Saying "the majority of scientists agree with me" doesn't mean any more than saying "The majority of rabbits agree with me." If you don't provide studies that back you up. You're just creating an appeal to authority.

I want to be ignored

Don't want a speaking part

I don't want any one to notice

The blood spilling out of my exploding heart

"''If the mind can do this in tearing down body tissue, I think it suggests the same potential for healing,'' said Dr. Braun, who directs a 10-bed psychiatric unit that uses psychotherapy, hypnosis and drugs to treat people with multiple personalities. He said he believed that the drastic physical changes seen in patients going from personality to personality could be duplicated for emotionally normal people under hypnosis."

In other words, the scientist who did the study thinks he could do this with ordinary people by inducing a delusion through hypnosis. You just gave evidence for my point of view.

Alright, so a guy that has some experience with treating people with DID says he thinks he could create the same changes in people under hypnosis. Did he do this? What were his findings? I get that the argument is supposed to be, well this guy's a doctor with experience in the field, which creates some ethos for what's effectively his opinion, but that doesn't refute anything.

We're all gonna make it brah.

Guest Anonymous

Edit: Alright, maybe that was a shoddy article then. That was just the first one related to the argument that I could find on google. As you can see I'm a Harvard level researcher.

I would love to read any other studies people find. I am still unlikely to be convinced. As you already know, I have a stubborn bias. It had better some helluva study. LOL

Which scientists? Saying "the majority of scientists agree with me" doesn't mean any more than saying "The majority of rabbits agree with me." If you don't provide studies that back you up. You're just creating an appeal to authority.

But that's just it. There is no study ANYWHERE of any kind that will prove tulpas are real or not real. I can't provide you with any and you can't provide me with any. So we go around in circles Punch.

I just have my point of view and most everyone else here has there's. I just get frustrated with the constant need to prove something that has no hope of being proven. Yet, I am supposed to accept it as absolute fact. I just don't.

Here's a study that goes through everything from seizure disorders being present in other personalities to gastrointestinal differences. It's written by a doctor and hosted on an academic website. Can seizures be psychosomatic? Note that in the case of the seizure case-studies they didn't meet the now defunct requirements for MPD, which doesn't harm the credibility of the cases because 1) it isn't even called MPD anymore and 2) the standards have changed since the 80's.

Guest Anonymous

Alright, so a guy that has some experience with treating people with DID says he thinks he could create the same changes in people under hypnosis. Did he do this? What were his findings? I get that the argument is supposed to be, well this guy's a doctor with experience in the field, which creates some ethos for what's effectively his opinion, but that doesn't refute anything.

True, it doesn't refute anything. It shows there is some psychologist out there who might agree with Mistgod and that is about it.

Here's a study that goes through everything from seizure disorders being present in other personalities to gastrointestinal differences. It's written by a doctor and hosted on an academic website. Can seizures be psychosomatic? Note that in the case of the seizure case-studies they didn't meet the now defunct requirements for MPD, which doesn't harm the credibility of the cases because 1) it isn't even called MPD anymore and 2) the standards have changed since the 80's.

“This review of the psychophysiological apsects of MPD provides further confirmation of the polysymptomatic nature of MPD…The review also suggests some possible mechanism underlying the occurrence of a wide variety of functions underlying learning and memory….Bliss (1980), and Braun (1983b) have commented about the similarities of many aspects of MPD to the phenomenon of hypnosis.”

Full Definition of PSYCHOSOMATIC

1. 1: of, relating to, concerned with, or involving both mind and body

2. 2: of, relating to, involving, or concerned with bodily symptoms caused by mental or emotional disturbance

Again, the scientists were not proving that the MPD was real, they were noting symptoms and psychosymptomatic effects.

Right, but if the average person without DID can't create psychosomatic effects, and these effects are unique to people with DID, then what does that say? I couldn't find anything about people psychosomaticly inducing seizures.

Guest Anonymous

Good point. I doubt any careful, safety minded hypnotist would want to induce seizures. That doesn't mean it couldn't be done. I mean flashing lights can cause seizures in otherwise normal persons. So...

untitled_by_melianofmist-daby63r.png

Because you think that:

Person = Entire Brain, therefore anything that's in the brain is part of the person.

Tewi thinks that:

Person = processes in the brain creating an identity and ego, therefore, if another being has created an identity and ego, they're just using the same matter to exist but are not parts of each other.

Again, tell me if I'm misinterpreting this, but it seems more like a difference of opinion on a small thing that's getting clouded with paragraphs of supporting evidence and ideas and feelings that probably don't have to be there.

Melian and I are "Abby Normal"

[video=youtube]

I think you are spot on. There is emotional reasons for me being stubborn too. A few posts back I explained that. Melian has to remain imaginary. Other tulpas need to remain imaginary as well, to me, or it trivializes Melian. I don't want her trivialized because I love her. So, I attack everyone else who insists their tulpas are real.

That is it exactly. When push comes to shove though, I can (usually) recognize that imaginary things are not real enough to be a source of anxiety. In the past I have had problems even there though. I am the sort of person where the distinction between the two is very important. Because I am prone to an over active imagination, and anxiety, I have to be able to tell the difference. My world is full of fantasy, but there needs to be a clear line. I think that is why I am so adamant about Melian being imaginary. If I open that door to suggestion, I will never be able to close it again. I have an extremely vivid imagination. I have to know where the boundaries are.

Guest Anonymous

Uhm.

Hi. Good morning everyone. Not to create brainkapoopies but I feel pretty real to me. Davie and I love stirring the pot to get interesting debate going. I love what Stevie had to say. I like how he clarified the two perspectives. I agree with my hostie that I am part of his brain and part of him.

Okay right now, there is a fifty one year old man sitting at his laptop computer in his house in California. He is awake and conscious and aware of what is happening. Right now I am typing through him. I wanted to say something so he agreed to let me have the computer time and we switched accounts. (we switched accounts not body control).

So I am typing, or that is, he his channeling me again. If you were in the room or watching on video, you would see a gray haired old man typing on his keyboard. It the same old gray haired (old goat) man that was typing a few minutes ago for himself. I could not be typing without Davie's assistance at some level. I am forever dependent on him when it comes to interacting with the outside world. I am forever subordinate.

I have a female personality and a female form. But David's body and physiology is male. My form does not physically exist. My female personality that is based on that form is imaginary. I have no female physiology to be female. My voice is imaginary. I have no female vocal chords.

Everything that I think or do is shared with Davie. We share a brain and think using the same physical brain. So all he and I are saying is that we are forever connected and that, because I have no physical body, I am imaginary.

David is real. He has a physical, tangible body that is his body. I exist within his brain, but I don't identify with his body other than that and have no desire to. Icky. When people greet Davie they shake his hand and say "Nice to meet you Mr. David Devine." They do not say "Nice to meet you Melian sweetie."

Davie's wife married Davie. She did not marry me. His family depends on him to do the things to keep the family going. They do not depend on me. They recognize me as an idea in his brain. They think I am fun and sweet and silly. But when something important needs to get done regarding the household and responsibilities, they don't come asking for Melian. They ask for Davie. He has all the legal responsibility, the job, the position of responsibility in real life.

We were in a car accident yesterday. Immediately after the accident, David needed to exchange insurance information with another driver. He gave them his name, not mine. When people asked him if he was okay, they wanted to know if his body was injured. They did not ask if Melian was injured.

The reason why things happened that way is because I am an imaginary girl in his mind.

There is no study ANYWHERE of any kind that will prove tulpas are real or not real.

I still have no idea what "real" is supposed to mean here. What would "tulpas being proven real" entail? Pretending it was possible, what does that mean? What does it mean for them to be not real? "Scientific evidence" that I am not real would mean literally nothing to me.

Relevant post again

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas