To those with poor visualization skills, there's hope as long as you're not like this

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/19/11683274/aphantasia

I came across this article on Facebook and thought of tulpa visualization. Anyone who's bad at visualizing should give this a read. I thought something was wrong with me. 6 years and no imposition level visuals, still flashes of her making me feel lonely, lIke she's only here in feeling. Then I read this and found out, well nope I'm not visually impaired. I just gotta work on it more with her.

Give this article a read if you're feeling hopeless. Chances are you aren't like the guy in the article and will feel at least a little relieved and refreshed. :>

This thread has a few more links to pages on the topic. But hey, it's not like you need great visualization skills to have a tulpa or interact with them, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

*raises hand* I'm non-visual too. I assure you, my interactions were convincing enough to crack my shell of skepticism about the whole thing. Don't feel sorry for me, or this guy, and don't tell other non-visual people it's bad if they can't do it!!

Woodwindwhistler on www.asexuality.org

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. -Eric Hoffer

"We can never achieve perfection, but maybe we can approach it asymptotically. Never give up on plugging in those numbers!" ~Me

You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note. –Doug Floyd

My poetry: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5qMnL2tDkJYOGNhLW4tRHFHa0E&usp=sharing

I have this same issue. I just started the tulpa creation process a few days ago and I am a bit worried that my success will be limited because of aphantasia. Do we know of any mentally blind people who have achieved full imposition and switching?

I have this same issue. I just started the tulpa creation process a few days ago and I am a bit worried that my success will be limited because of aphantasia. Do we know of any mentally blind people who have achieved full imposition and switching?

You should head over to the Aphantasia group on Facebook. A few of them have recommended guided meditations that helped them achieve visualization. (not as vivid as actual seeing, but it came nonetheless)

But, I will continue to say that 'seeing' you tulpa does not matter. Mine are plenty real without my thinking that I see them. (look at my thread I posted about accidentally creating them . . . )

I don't like the idea of switching, (yikes, being controlled by another consciousness??) but I am pretty sure my tulpas could do it if I let them. Since, in the story I wrote them in, one has one good experience with possession, and bad experiences with others being possessed, she understands.

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. -Eric Hoffer

"We can never achieve perfection, but maybe we can approach it asymptotically. Never give up on plugging in those numbers!" ~Me

My poetry: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5qMnL2tDkJYOGNhLW4tRHFHa0E&usp=sharing

I made an image streaming guide that can be used for general use with visualization. If guided meditation seems to help, then I'm sure the exercises I made can help, too:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1guub6JF0OGVheUPzddtMyZKHqnrcnuWLYufwGhc3Fmc/

You should head over to the Aphantasia group on Facebook. A few of them have recommended guided meditations that helped them achieve visualization. (not as vivid as actual seeing, but it came nonetheless)

But, I will continue to say that 'seeing' you tulpa does not matter. Mine are plenty real without my thinking that I see them. (look at my thread I posted about accidentally creating them . . . )

I don't like the idea of switching, (yikes, being controlled by another consciousness??) but I am pretty sure my tulpas could do it if I let them. Since, in the story I wrote them in, one has one good experience with possession, and bad experiences with others being possessed, she understands.

Do you have a link? If its the one im thinking of, i am a part of it, and have been since before the term aphantasia was coined. None of those people have made any progress, and honestly dont seem to be trying. If there is another group that has found ways to overcome it, i would love to find it.

Honestly I believe that aphantasia may be because those that have it just dont understand what it means to visualize. Its a tough thing to describe. You'll have the same person say that they see very vivid pictures with color, detail and movement, but then at the same time they say that it isnt like they close their eyes and see images on the back of their eyelids. The way visualization is explained, its like creating false memories and remembering them, but then people say that the experience things like, finding markings or letters in their mental space... but how do you know that without literally being able to see? idk lol.. maybe I have been able to visualize this whole time, I just dont understand what visualizing is.

Do you have a link? If its the one im thinking of, i am a part of it, and have been since before the term aphantasia was coined. None of those people have made any progress, and honestly dont seem to be trying. If there is another group that has found ways to overcome it, i would love to find it.

Honestly I believe that aphantasia may be because those that have it just dont understand what it means to visualize. Its a tough thing to describe. You'll have the same person say that they see very vivid pictures with color, detail and movement, but then at the same time they say that it isnt like they close their eyes and see images on the back of their eyelids. The way visualization is explained, its like creating false memories and remembering them, but then people say that the experience things like, finding markings or letters in their mental space... but how do you know that without literally being able to see? idk lol.. maybe I have been able to visualize this whole time, I just dont understand what visualizing is.

Obviously there are degrees. Some people get headaches even trying to conjure an image. Some people can make washed out or fuzzy images. And some people can see as vividly in their mind as they do in real life.

Have you tried listening to guided meditations? I don't fee like digging back into the history of posts to find the one that someone claimed finally gave them an image. But I have seen someone also say that, after a lot of effort, they saw a cliff against the normal black backdrop of their mind.

So no, it's not just a communication difference. We each have unique minds, and those who have bridged the ability can report that they are indeed different.

I can imagine 'shapes,' but it is the mere idea of a shape or a pose, there's nothing visual actually happening. Imagine an invisible ball and wrapping your hand around it. That is akin to how my brain works. It 'feels' spaces and can brush and touch outlines.

I can think of a color, but again, I'm not actually seeing anything. And trying to add more than one gives me whiplash sometimes.

I think it is INFINITELY sadder that this person cannot feel their tulpa hugging them.

If forced to choose between the two, I would definitely go for warm fuzzies over getting to 'see' them.