Tulpa terms

Guest Anonymous

I highly agree on the word "forcing" being rubbish.

Like - seriously.

Why do we even need that word?

The way the term is used and applied, 99.9 percent of the time it has the exact same meaning as "spending time with your tulpa".

So why use a specific term (especially one that sounds so completely wrong) when there's already a perfectly fine and natural way of saying what you mean, one that even people outside the community can understand perfectly fine?

Urgh.

I mean, come on... it's stupid. >_>

And so unnecessary.

It just kinda feels like a kid playing scientist and coming up with kewl words for it.

Greets,

AG

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fronting and eclipsing are terms that have always sounded a bit iffy to me. It's probably because I haven't been exposed to them all that much, though.

Fronting and eclipsing are terms that have always sounded a bit iffy to me. It's probably because I haven't been exposed to them all that much, though.

I'm not as familiar with eclipsing, but fronting seems like a very apt word for what it's used for. Out of curiosity what would you rename these to if you could?

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Possession has always been a pretty sketchy word for me.

Coming from a completely republican, "so deep in South Texas we're basically in Mexico", heavily religious family, this has always carried a darker connotation for me. Not that I believe in demonic possession, but the fact that other people (my family included) still to this day believe that certain psychopathologies can be summed up to demonic possession legitimately frightens me.

Those same people would probably believe that I am currently collaborating with demons.

EDIT: I was incredibly tired at the time of posting, my grammar was terrible.

I have actively tried not to see it that way, but like you, Zaya, I grew up in a heavily religious family, so it still carries the darker connotations from growing up in that religious culture. There aren't really any substitute type words either. It all comes down to that you're letting another being control your body, malevolent or not. :P

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

I like 'possession' for the shock value, personally. Goes well with 'mind demon' for 'tulpa'. I don't have enough religious exposure for it, maybe. But there are plenty of substitutes. I'd say that my tulpa is "in control", "in the body", just "in", anything like that.

Eclipsing is one you don't see around much, but I think it's good. Etymology aside, I guess people are more apprehensive about the idea itself than the term. But I guess it's something I've experienced enough, even if I don't really think much of it. If anything maybe it's not something you need a term for at all.

I'm not as familiar with eclipsing, but fronting seems like a very apt word for what it's used for. Out of curiosity what would you rename these to if you could?

It's not like I don't think that work, but they've always just sounded strange to me. I can't think of any different terms for them, but I've just avoided using them so far

Even "tulpaforce" isn't much better. It sounds like you either just smooshed the words "tulpa" and "force" together (which has the same problem as "forcing"), or you're talking about some kind of tulpa sentai team. >.>

[hidden]Tulpa Sentai, ASSEMBLE!!

0sQN1.jpg[/hidden]

That should be Akibaranger.

But yeah, I dislike "tulpa" and "tulpamancy" for reasons I've stated before.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Guest Anonymous

But yeah, I dislike "tulpa" and "tulpamancy" for reasons I've stated before.

The whole terminology thing gets on my nerves too, especially considering I had to frequently explain to people how and why we're not sure what exactly Esterina is.

I got so annoyed with it, and so bored with the whole terminology shtick and all these unfitting terms in general, that I simply started calling her and her friends and family "tulpasoulbondwhatevers" - not only because it's actually a simple and practical... (not-really-a-)word to use, but also just to plain and simply make a bit of fun of the whole terminology thing.

Greets,

AG

Given that there is quite a bit of consensus with the terminology feeling inadequate to express what we are trying and or have accomplished, isn't there a way to modify the terminology? Wasn't there a time before the terminology existed, and so someone created it? I don't see the terminology as being that rigid.