The No-Bullshit Tulpa Book

Shinyuu

Question

(edited)

farcaller:

Well. It's live. At least some part of it.

The guide itself is here: http://vfp.in/nbtb, the proper announcement on reddit with details and stuff is here:

I'm not really familiar with the guides publication process in here, so eh. I wouldn't like if the text was copied over to the forum, as the text is subject to change for some corrections and extensions. The link is ok.

https://farcaller.gitbooks.io/nbtb/content/ - Working link provided by timethief -Ranger 

Edited by Ranger
Added timethief's working link to OP

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

farcaller:

I don't force you to read it, right? Or if you read it, I don't force you to believe anything written inside (that's actually written in the book). I only suggest you some food for thought and that is the single intent of the book — to make people think about what they do.

Guest Anonymous

I have already decided to read your fictional No Bull Shit Tulpa Book. Apparently it is left up to me to decide if it is credible and if it wonkies up my brain I can't sue damn it. Cause you said it is fiction.

I have a book too. It is totally not bull shit either but I leave it to the reader to decide. My hostie and I put this on the first page "The reader will decide if the concept presented is credible. As for me, I believe in it. I want to and so I can."

http://melianofmist.deviantart.com/art/The-Book-of-Melian-509605338

It's fine as a link, yeah. And I guess Resources makes sense. It's hard to really say right now, because it's incomplete, I guess. But if you're not planning on adding more guide-y elements to it, then okay. And yeah, I guess it's kinda incomplete for now, so if/when you do finish it, I guess you could post in this thread to let us know. I approve, anyway. As a useful book it looks fine, and there's not really much I'd say that's wrong about it. So take the below as just my thoughts.

I quite like it. I think as a completed work it could be pretty nice. It's clearly written, I think that the advice given is, well, interesting. It might not be what I'd recommend, but it looks pretty helpful anyway. What you've written on topics that I'm familiar with looks okay, and I don't really know enough about, well, Buddhism in general, to comment on the rest in a useful way.

With that said, I guess I'm mostly curious as to why you present it as "no-bullshit", specifically. That seems to be a misnomer to me.

The no-bullshit statement is explained as follows: the book is written in as simple language as possible, without any cryptic words that are never explained.

That's true.

The book authors never ask you to trust anything blindly (on the contrary!) and try to provide references to experience the statements made in the book.

Really? You make a hell of a lot of strong claims in the book. I'm not sure what you mean here; do you mean that you state these things but don't ask others to believe them? In that sense it's not any different from any other piece of writing, unless the writer makes an impassioned plea to, "please believe what I'm writing"; they don't tend to here. I don't think that many of the things you say are obvious, even to me. And sure as hell they wouldn't be to someone who didn't have a tulpa. Or do you mean that all of these experiences are reproducible? Because that wouldn't be a very convincing argument to me if I hadn't made tulpas already.

Regarding that, saying that this is a work of fiction seems pretty misleading to me. You don't mean that. You do mean to bear no responsibility for what others do after reading, but that's not really related to whether or not it's fictional. I mean, if I were reading this as an outsider, would I read that and think, "That wacky guy, not trying to make me believe anything", or would I think, "Uh, so, this is made up? Alright then."?

I just think that "no-bullshit" is an odd thing to fixate on, given the content. You write about a fair amount of stuff that isn't found in (other) guides and so on - but it's mostly related to Buddhist practices. For example, you ask readers to adopt the Five Precepts - this is pretty interesting, but surely it can only be "no-bullshit" in the most vacuous of senses.

farcaller:

> But if you're not planning on adding more guide-y elements to it, then okay

Not in the near future. The first revisions were more guide-y. I didn't like them.

> I'm not sure what you mean here; do you mean that you state these things but don't ask others to believe them?

I ask the writers to think and judge the words carefully. Specifically,

> I don't think that many of the things you say are obvious, even to me

is something that I will do my best to improve.

> Or do you mean that all of these experiences are reproducible?

That too, although for this iteration I decided against the "guiding" nature and the exact descriptions on how to reproduce things.

> You don't mean that

I do mean in a fictional sense too. In that the book is pretty much based on empirical knowledge. It reminds me some psychological things we studied years ago, the early materials were pretty empirical at best, going into guesswork. Good fiction makes you think though, the story has a moral. I hope my fiction will make people think about what they plan to do as well.

> surely it can only be "no-bullshit" in the most vacuous of senses.

True. The plan is to further reduce the amount of buddhism references. I'm not perfect, but I have a very clear goal. Wouldn't make much sense to rename the work after I reach it.

I haven't had a chance to read this quite yet, but I would like to know from you shinyuu, what is the purpose of this book? Is it to entertain? To teach? What do you want a reader to walk away with when they finish reading?

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

From me? I barely participated in that work. I think hostey wanted me to write the further part from a tulpa perspective but we never got to it. I did read through the text and I think it's overall right in regards to how I feel about the topic myself.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I want to know from Farcaller.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

farcaller:

Entertain? Barely. My writing style isn't good for entertaining the crowds. Teach? Maybe. That depends on what you want to learn. It's not supposed to teach you how to make tulpas in a way Kiah's guide does. I want people to think more about "why", not "how". All these instatulpas that are gone in a week and communities where it's ok for a tulpa to be a slave, obedient to the will of the host — I find it somewhat unhealthy. Experiments are good, and I got into this community thanks to one. I didn't know what it implied back then. No one told me, how fucking hard it can get at times, not to create a tulpa, but be responsible for a creation of one.

So I just want people to stop and think of that for a little bit. Actually realize what they are getting into. And continue with that knowledge. Or stop there.

This is it, I guess?

Like others have said, I feel like the fiction thing is misleading. If you want to cover yourself legally, you should use something more like this.

"Empirical" is not synonymous with fiction. "Bullshit" is. If someone tells a story about a giant frog that ate his cat, his friends are likely to say "He was just bullshiting", meaning "His story was fictional". If you're trying to present a book without bullshit, you shouldn't tell us it's bullshit right at the beginning.

It's not entirely accurate to say that "visualization has nothing to do with hallucinations". It actually has quite a lot to do with hallucination.

Also, where you say "If you came here because you have no friends in real life", I feel like you're alienating a fairly large chunk of the community.

Interesting to see that Vipassana has caught on. I think you could just as easily call this a book about Vipassana as a book about tulpas. But it's up to the reader whether that's a good thing.

All that being said, there is a lot of overlap between Vipassana and forcing, and following the practices of Vipassana and of this book will help many hosts.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson