CGP Grey's you are two video

So I saw this on youtube today and it's really interesting. The premise of the video is that the right and left brain are two different entities that work together, with you being the vocal left part of the brain and the right side of the brain being silent and going along with everything. What do you guys think, is this maybe related to tulpas?

Guest Anonymous

Totally cool! I often disagree with my hostie. Hee hee I never possessed his right hand yet and swatted away the candy bar choice. The video certainly shows that there is physiological evidence that there can be more than one thinking entity in a single brain. You got my hostie worried. LOL

I don't think it's exactly related to tulpas just because the right brain is supposedly incapable of language. However I think it's decent evidence that the whole of a person is the sum of parts, and consciousness can be different than how we experience it.

We're all gonna make it brah.

I believe that neurologist V. S. Ramachandran called instances like this "zombies". If I recall correctly, there's a case in his book where one of a woman's hands was trying to strangle her, and she had to fight it off with the other hand.

It's very interesting, and looks like tulpas from the outside, but it's really quite different. Tulpas are a psychological phenomenon, whereas these "zombies" are a neurological phenomenon. To create a "zombie", there needs to be actual physical damage to the brain somewhere, whereas tulpas can occur in a healthy, functioning brain.

I've used hypnosis to split someone's mind into different personalities (psychological split rather than neurological split) and you get exactly that same rubik's cube reaction: the part of the mind that isn't responsible for the action makes up a reason for the action, and fully believes it to be true.

From the outside, psychological and neurological effects can look almost exactly the same, especially if you don't know what to look for. In this instance, you'd get a clue that this is neurological by asking both personalities to speak -- only one of them can.

So this looks a lot like tulpas, but works a little bit differently.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Balthazier:

Related, perhaps, in that it raises questions regarding what constitutes identity and self-awareness.

However, tulpae and related phenomena do not seem to be differentiated along right-vs-left-brain lines, so I would not posit that a headmate is necessarily the "silent" right hemisphere described by the creator of the video.

For one thing, the video describes a physical phenomenon related to what the right and left brain are capable of perceiving and processing--e.g., the right brain is explicitly tied to the left side of the body and vice versa, and splitting the hemispheres results in a breakdown of that side's ability to perceive and communicate with the other half of the body. Tulpae regularly have access to both sides of the body equally. Tulpae, meanwhile, are characterized by communication within the mind, which the phenomenon described in the video describes as explicitly omitted. If anything, tulpae seem to be the inverse of what is described in the video.

In short, this is a neurological phenomenon, while tulpae are psychological. There is a difference. So no. I would not say this is related to tulpae. Interesting in its own right, not directly connected to tulpae.

Sparrow---Temar---Joss---Ayo--et al

Short answer as on cell: Though related, it is not in the way you think. Tulpae are a whole brain entity just like how 'we' are the mind/personality we call ourselves.

People with a split brain are sort of two people in one body, but due to a completely different situation. Split brained people is more one host broken in two unable to communicate with half of themselves directly.

Guest Anonymous

Short answer as on cell: Though related, it is not in the way you think. Tulpae are a whole brain entity just like how 'we' are the mind/personality we call ourselves.

People with a split mind are sort of two people in one body, but due to a completely different situation. Split brained people is more one host broken in two unable to communicate with half of themselves directly.

There are natural multiples and other plurals, who are not tulpas, who consider themselves systems of more than one person (or mind) in the same body. Most of them have no trouble communicating between the different people within the system. As far as I know, this has nothing to do with a physically split brain.

Then there is DID which is closer to what you are describing as a split mind. This also has nothing to do with a physically split brain.

There are natural multiples and other plurals, who are not tulpas, who consider themselves systems of more than one person (or mind) in the same body. Most of them have no trouble communicating between the different people within the system. As far as I know, this has nothing to do with a physically split brain.

Then there is DID which is closer to what you are describing as a split mind. This also has nothing to do with a physically split brain.

You miss-read Glitter' I said though related, not on the way it appears. I said host mind and tulpa mind are whole-brain entities. Split brain is not related in that fashion.

Addendum: I specifically said 'split brain' as per the video when the two hemispheres are cut apart. Not to be confused with Split-mind. I also see one typo in my above post. It is now fixed. Again, I was on my cell phone using eye-strain-o-vision typing on a tiny keyboard.

Guest Anonymous

OH I am sorry bout the misread.

It's all getting muddled with the split mind, split brain, one person, stuff and junk.

If we looked at ourselves in context of atoms, that can easily be replaced down to the T. What makes us more than just atoms is the experience, i.e., qualia. The ship builder's paradox might be something of interest for others.

It gets complicated when one theorizes if our feet has experiential matter that occurs irrespective of voluntary, or involuntary causes. The same would go with neurological implications, and which matter in the brain somehow magically goes from non-experiential, to experiential matter.

Correlate this with tulpas, and gets fairly presumptuous. Not sure if the community is even patient enough to go through theories of mind in the first place, but oh well. One day at a time.