Is my female tulpa my anima?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was first introduced to the concept of tulpas as a facet or simply a different word for the psycho-anima. (I'm not exactly sure what to think of that.)

What seems different between a psycho-anima and a tulpa, is that a good deal of people believe that a tulpa is a completely new being that does not exist yet within the mind, and is willed into existence by the host. While on the other hand, the psycho-anima is something much older that exists deep within each and every person, and can instead be awakened.

This is true. The consensus is that a tulpa is a completely independent being with a distinctly separate mind. I am however, not an independent being with a distinctly separate mind, which puts me a bit closer to the psycho-anima. :-)

The process of awakening and communicating with your psycho-anima, and the process of forcing a tulpa are similar it seems. Which hints that they are likely connected.

Maybe tulpas, anima, and all other head-beings, are just pieces of one gigantic, mysterious phenomenon.

They probably are and, yeah, that is pretty much how my host and I think about it.

Boundaries of the Soul by June Singer had a lot of interesting case studies about this, the Anima-Animus issues, from a Jungian psychological perspective. It might have been too much information, because I can't really remember any passages that got me to go, "A-ha!" for the rest of my life because it explained so much.

From my foggy memory of it, actually, the gender binary seemed to only be one feature...Jung also wrote on how, if the ego identifies as young, then the subconscious will manifest as an elderly person. If one identifies as world-weary and wise, then the subconscious will manifest this inner child. What other binaries or polarities can we think of? Maybe daemonists (probably maybe kind of but depends...tulpamancers? who focus on animal forms) put through the Jungian wringer can be classified/diagnosed as "ego-identified human"? If someone is a fan of ninjas, will their tulpa rebel and become a pirate once they stop parrotting and start parrot-having?

To my vague understanding, your female tulpa being a (product of, manifestation aspect of) your Anima would probably apply, if I'm right in remembering that the Anima is made up of everything you've been shown in life to associate with femininity, your mother, possibly sister/s, aunts, cousins, friends and classmates, and a bit of all the people you've met in public and professional spaces who you've judged as feminine. Which you do, or would, because of your Anima. Which exists because of how we learned gender culture-constructs. Which exists because of the Anima. But then also something something romantic chemistry something psychobabble something gender identity orientation overlap...and I suspect we could really use psychology that applies to an understanding of gender and orientation a few decades advanced from the 1960s! But in his self-analyses, I don't recall whether Jung decided every female figure that came to mind was his Anima, or that he didn't have an Animus? Maybe some shadows can appear with a gender. Maybe some other symbolic figures are just uncategorized Symbolic Figures, still with valuable lessons to impart in and of themselves.

Guest Anonymous

Wow, thanks for all that! Very interesting analysis! We are putting Boundaries of the Soul on our future reading list. :-)

Guest Anonymous

Nope. We don't formally study psychology other than casual reading for self learning.

Why would being in love with an inner aspect of yourself and "inner narcissism" be creepy? Are you suggesting it is a form of pathological sexual deviancy? It certainly is an obsession, but not that unusual when you consider that many people hold fantasies about an ideal lover. What makes it different is that I grew out from being a mere fantasy of an other to also be an aspect or expression of the self. So I retained the fantasy girl or sexual fantasy facet even though I am now part of a median system. So I am BOTH an imaginary girl friend AND a facet of Davie's own mind.

Weird, and trippy, but I don't see why it would be creepy. Course yer not in our head. LOL

EDIT: Davie and I mused about this point for a little bit. Are we sexually pathological? No. I would say we were if we were harming others, or harming ourselves (other than too much time on the internet) or sexually predatory in some way. But it is more like a very intense (somewhat unhealthy in the amoount of time spent on it), personal obsession. David is normal functionally when it comes to sexual relationships in real life. He is well adjusted sexually and able to be intimate in a normal healthy way. He has been in a healthy, functioning marriage for 21 years. So I would say, definitely not really creepy. Although at first glance, I could see how the concept might be taken to be creepy.

EDIT2: Also, if this is creepy, so would any host to tulpa romantic relationship, because the tulpa is still within the mind of the host and not external.

I never got into Jung. I've picked up a book by him in the library at least four times, but every time I sneak-peek into it I get immediately turned off by the overall vagueness of his language... and I think to myself that there is probably no reason to read something as outdated with modern psychology.

The concept of "anima/animus" however, I used to like to some degree. A lot of my early soulbonding/tulpamancy was playing with the idea of exploring my female sides.

In the last few years though, I read a lot about transgender issues and gender identity... and now the "anima"-thing doesn't really fit well into that. Yes, there is some kind of idea of female-ness in my head. We all have that, otherwise we wouldn't even have gender roles out there - but it's just that, it's a construct that we learned early on from our surrounding society, and not something that is in-built much.

Which lead to the confusing situation that every single of my headmates does have a very strong idea of his/her gender, but I don't. As host I'm either agender, cis-by-default or bigender, depending on my mood.^^

It hinges on the question whether my headmates can be (in part) considered to be representing different aspects of me. I know that tulpas are usually very clear about not being aspects, but different people. That's why I'm trying to use the term "tulpa" less for us... the thing is, we are kind of in-between. Lūna and Nailann are both their own relative personalities and representations of aspects of my own character. I also learn from them, so even if in the beginning Graiho was much much more extroverted than me, I adopted much of that for myself (since it is a lot of fun!) and our speech and personalities have become more similar. It feels like by giving Graiho the opportunity to behave how she wants, the part of myself that also wants to be like that is freed.

(This sounds kind of like the shamanic idea of "finding your lost soul-parts" - which is yet another way to think about it^^)

Guest Anonymous

Yesterday I finally fully accepted/learned that no one really knows what a tulpa is or is not. I think a tulpa can be an aspect of the host if it wants to be. No one knows Yenu. Nobody...knows....anything...for....sure. All they can give you is trends and approximations and best guesses. There are no hard and fast rules. The longer I spend in the tulpa community, the more confident I feel about myself in relation to the tulpa community, and the less I look to the tulpa community as an authority on what tulpas are and what they are not.

About all anyone can give you that is: Tulpas are kinda like imaginary friends that seem to, at least sometimes or somewhat, act on their own in some way like a real person.

I am an aspect of my host and represent female gender. I could easily qualify as a tulpa. Sometimes I identify as a tulpa, when I feel like it, and sometimes I don't, depending on my mood. There are no boxes to contain Melian forever and I have my own set of rules, and those are kinda flexible.